Author Topic: Nunes to step aside from Russia probe  (Read 1925 times)

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
Nunes to step aside from Russia probe
« on: April 06, 2017, 06:58:27 AM »
House Intelligence Committee Chairman Devin Nunes (R-Calif.) will temporarily step aside from an investigation into Russian meddling in the 2016 election, including interactions between Moscow and the Trump campaign.

The probe will be taken over by Reps. Michael Conaway (R-Texas), Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.) and Tom Rooney (R-Fla.)

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/04/nunes-to-step-aside-from-russia-probe-236951
a

mazrim

• Getbig V
Re: Nunes to step aside from Russia probe
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 07:01:49 AM »
This is a bad look again for republicans. Why are they always giving in when nothing has been done wrong?

Unless he is going to investigate the leaks/surveillance issue.

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 07:05:45 AM »
This is a bad look again for republicans. Why are they always giving in when nothing has been done wrong?

Unless he is going to investigate the leaks/surveillance issue.

Republicans still act like they aren't in power. Pussies.
a

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 07:08:28 AM »
"Several leftwing activist groups have filed accusations against me with the Office of Congressional Ethics. The charges are entirely false and politically motivated, and are being leveled just as the American people are beginning to learn the truth about the improper unmasking of the identities of U.S. citizens and other abuses of power.

“Despite the baselessness of the charges, I believe it is in the best interests of the House Intelligence Committee and the Congress for me to have Representative Mike Conaway, with assistance from Representatives Trey Gowdy and Tom Rooney, temporarily take charge of the Committee's Russia investigation while the House Ethics Committee looks into this matter.”

He added, “I will continue to fulfill all my other responsibilities as Committee Chairman, and I am requesting to speak to the Ethics Committee at the earliest possible opportunity in order to expedite the dismissal of these false claims."
a

Lorenzo Frittata

• Getbig II
  • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv39l6of4eaRZNrMo
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 09:41:05 AM »
Another win for Drumph?
That retard wins so much my head is spinning.
Y

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 10:13:52 AM »
Another win for Drumph?

Well it certainly isn't a win for the libs. They just make themselves look worse by the day. I would imagine the only one's that actually think they're worth a shit are uninformed minions like yourself

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 10:21:35 AM »
Another win for Drumph?

a

Nick Danger

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 10:22:30 AM »
Well it certainly isn't a win for the libs. They just make themselves look worse by the day. I would imagine the only one's that actually think they're worth a shit are uninformed minions like yourself

It's a win for anyone who wants the truth...you don't "step away" if you've done nothing wrong.

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 10:29:13 AM »
It's a win for anyone who wants the truth...you don't "step away" if you've done nothing wrong.

My prediction: Nunes was in the unmasked transcripts of the Trump Transition team; he'd have to recuse himself eventually. Those transcripts finally made their way to the IC yesterday. This has all been a big ruse by the Trump White House to make fools out of the media/Democrats.
a

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2017, 10:35:18 AM »

Did you read the reason why he temporarily stepped down? Did you know that anyone can bring a charge to anyone for a alleged ethics violation? Bottom line is that Nunes is getting closer, the left are having a complete meltdown and this is just another way to stall the inevitable.

House Intelligence Committee Chairman Devin Nunes on Thursday stepped down temporarily from his role leading the committee’s probe of Russian interference in the 2016 presidential campaign and possible surveillance of Trump associates by the prior administration.

Nunes in a statement cited the efforts of "several leftwing activist groups" to lodge "entirely false and politically motivated" accusations against him with the Office of Congressional Ethics as his reason for sidelining himself. The House Ethics Committee is set to investigate the allegations against Nunes.

Rep. Mike Conaway, R-Texas, is now set to lead the Russia/spying probe "with assistance" from Rep. Trey Gowdy, R-S.C., and Rep. Tom Rooney, R-Fla.

Nunes said he would "continue to fulfill all my other responsibilities as Committee Chairman" and had requested to speak with the Ethics Committee "in order to expedite the dismissal of these false claims."

Neither House Speaker Paul Ryan nor Nunes gave the White House a heads up about the announcement, White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer told Fox News. The Nunes news broke as President Trump was leaving a Wounded Warrior event. Spicer said he had not spoken to Trump about it but was expecting to do so shortly aboard Air Force 1.

Spicer wouldn't comment on the specifics of the move, but said that Nunes' absence wouldn't change the "substance" of the House Intelligence Committee's investigation and praised Conaway, calling him "a great guy."

In a written statement, Nunes suggested the accusations against him were timed to distract from reports about the names of Trump associates being "unmasked" in intelligence files during the latter weeks of the Obama administration by former National Security Adviser Susan Rice.

"The charges are entirely false and politically motivated, and are being leveled just as the American people are beginning to learn the truth about the improper unmasking of the identities of U.S. citizens and other abuses of power," he said.

A source close to Nunes called the alleged Democrat-led campaign to file complaints with the Office of Congressional Ethics a "clever political trick." Even if vindicated -- which Nunes believes he will be -- too much political damage had already been done for Nunes to remain in his role leading the Russia/spying investigations, the source said.

Another congressional staffer agreed with the claim that the complaints were a "coordinated tactic" organized by Democrats, and said the move was made to get the conversation off of Rice. The staffer said the news came on the eve of the Easter recess in order for it to have maximum impact.

In a statement, the House Committee on Ethics said it was looking into allegations that Nunes "may have made unauthorized disclosures of classified information, in violation of House Rules, law, regulations, or other standards of conduct."

Nunes last month held a news conference in which he discussed viewing classified reports that appeared to show the unmasking of Trump associates. He then controversially went to brief the president before meeting with the Intelligence Committee.

Some detractors have wanted Nunes removed from the investigation for awhile, pointing to his role as a member of Trump's transition team and arguing that he could not lead an impartial investigation. Viewing the classified documents on White House grounds and briefing Trump only added fuel to the fire.

Ryan backed Nunes' decision.

“Devin Nunes has earned my trust over many years for his integrity and dedication to the critical work that the intelligence community does to keep America safe," Ryan, R-Wis., said in a statement. "He continues to have that trust, and I know he is eager to demonstrate to the Ethics Committee that he has followed all proper guidelines and laws."

Intelligence Committee Ranking Member Adam Schiff, D-Calif., has publicly criticized Nunes' conduct and characterizations for weeks, however, he was conciliatory on Thursday.

"I know this was not an easy decision for the Chairman, with whom I have worked well for many years," Schiff said in a statement. "He did so in the best interests of the committee and I respect that decision."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/04/06/nunes-steps-down-from-russia-trump-investigation.html

Nick Danger

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2017, 10:38:17 AM »
My prediction: Nunes was in the unmasked transcripts of the Trump Transition team; he'd have to recuse himself eventually. Those transcripts finally made their way to the IC yesterday. This has all been a big ruse by the Trump White House to make fools out of the media/Democrats.

If this administration played no part in Russia's tampering, why wouldn't they want the investigation to confirm their innocence?

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2017, 10:43:08 AM »
If this administration played no part in Russia's tampering, why wouldn't they want the investigation to confirm their innocence?

Because this "investigation" has now been so far expanded beyond just the Russian tampering. Gowdy is a far better interrogator than Nunes.

Plus, with Nunes out of the way, there can be no complaining about impartiality, etc. Right?  ::)
a

Nick Danger

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2017, 11:19:41 AM »

Nunes in a statement cited the efforts of "several leftwing activist groups" to lodge "entirely false and politically motivated" accusations against him with the Office of Congressional Ethics as his reason for sidelining himself. The House Ethics Committee is set to investigate the allegations against Nunes.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/04/06/nunes-steps-down-from-russia-trump-investigation.html

Devin Nunes Steps Aside; Ethics Committee Investigating for Spilling Secrets

Rule 18(a) is a procedural rule that the House Ethics Committee invokes to launch an investigation. It indicates that rather than create a subcommittee to look into the matter, it will be a staff-driven inquiry.

While Nunes blamed “leftwing” groups for the investigation, the 18(a) investigation suggests that the House Ethics Committee initiatives its investigation at its own accord, rather than from a referral through an outside complaint.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2017/04/06/house-ethics-committee-launches-investigation-of-devin-nunes-for-spilling-secrets.html

Nunes is misinformed.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2017, 11:26:17 AM »
Devin Nunes Steps Aside; Ethics Committee Investigating for Spilling Secrets

Rule 18(a) is a procedural rule that the House Ethics Committee invokes to launch an investigation. It indicates that rather than create a subcommittee to look into the matter, it will be a staff-driven inquiry.

While Nunes blamed “leftwing” groups for the investigation, the 18(a) investigation suggests that the House Ethics Committee initiatives its investigation at its own accord, rather than from a referral through an outside complaint.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2017/04/06/house-ethics-committee-launches-investigation-of-devin-nunes-for-spilling-secrets.html

Nunes is misinformed.

That's just an allegation technically they can say anything in a complaint. This is a stall by the left. I guarantee it.

Nick Danger

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2017, 11:33:54 AM »
That's just an allegation technically they can say anything in a complaint. This is a stall by the left. I guarantee it.

Nunes put the stall on the investigation...he cancelled the scheduled hearings.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2017, 01:26:18 PM »
Republicans still act like they aren't in power. Pussies.

Yep.

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2017, 01:35:55 PM »
Because this "investigation" has now been so far expanded beyond just the Russian tampering. Gowdy is a far better interrogator than Nunes.

Plus, with Nunes out of the way, there can be no complaining about impartiality, etc. Right?  ::)

Indeed, Gowdy is excellent in the committees he participates, same with Chaffetz. However, just questioning incompetent heads of agencies or other politicians and making them look like the fools they are is not enough. I would like to see people (big names, not joe average) actually being arrested and going to prison for perjury, corruption, abuse and other such crimes.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2017, 01:38:41 PM »
Indeed, Gowdy is excellent in the committees he participates, same with Chaffetz. However, just questioning incompetent heads of agencies or other politicians and making them look like the fools they are is not enough. I would like to see people (big names, not joe average) actually being arrested and going to prison for perjury, corruption, abuse and other such crimes.

I agree, but that's a pipe dream.