Author Topic: The Atlantic: Romney Ponders 2018 Senate Run  (Read 255 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
The Atlantic: Romney Ponders 2018 Senate Run
« on: April 06, 2017, 02:04:31 PM »
He would be good. 

The Atlantic: Romney Ponders 2018 Senate Run
By Jason Devaney   |    Thursday, 06 Apr 2017

Former Massachusetts governor and 2012 Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney is exploring the idea of running for the Senate next year.

The Atlantic cited six sources who said Romney has been talking with people in Utah and Washington, D.C., about running for the seat currently occupied by Republican Orrin Hatch. Hatch is 83 and has not yet decided whether he will seek an eighth term in 2018.

Romney, according to The Atlantic, would only run with Hatch's blessing. Hatch told National Journal last week, "If I could get a really outstanding person to run for my position, I might very well consider [retiring]. Mitt Romney would be perfect."

Hatch told The Atlantic, meanwhile, he is "giving careful consideration as to whether I will seek reelection."

In March, Hatch said his plans at the moment are to run for another term after he received encouragement from President Donald Trump to stay in the Senate chamber.

Romney went to Brigham Young University, practices the Mormon faith, and served as president of the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics Organizing Committee. He owns a home in Salt Lake City with his wife Ann.

Romney met with Trump about serving as his secretary of state late last year. The job was eventually given to ExxonMobil CEO Rex Tillerson.

http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/governor-Utah-Senate-2018/2017/04/06/id/782995/