Author Topic: The fat-fueled brain: unnatural or advantageous?  (Read 3592 times)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
The fat-fueled brain: unnatural or advantageous?
« on: April 09, 2017, 09:28:20 PM »
The ketogenic diet is a nutritionist’s nightmare. High in saturated fat and VERY low in carbohydrates, “keto” is adopted by a growing population to paradoxically promote weight loss and mental well-being. Drinking coffee with butter? Eating a block of cream cheese? Little to no fruit? To the uninitiated, keto defies all common sense, inviting skeptics to wave it off as an unnatural “bacon-and-steak” fad diet.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/mind-guest-blog/the-fat-fueled-brain-unnatural-or-advantageous/

my new favorite protein drink is two scoops of Beverly UMP (cookies and cream) with ~ 2.5 to 3 oz of this stuff https://www.organicpastures.com/cream/ mixed with about 12 oz of water

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: The fat-fueled brain: unnatural or advantageous?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 02:48:12 AM »
How long have you been using the above combo, and have you noticed any difference?

I still use Beverly's protein. I never tried adding heavy cream, although I know that many old-time body builders followed this practice as late as Zane's era because I remember him discussing doing it.

Blair had most of his clients mix his powder in a similar manner. Larry Scott mentioned making a concoction of powder, 6 raw eggs, and straight cream. He said the consistency was more like a pudding.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 09:35:49 AM »
How long have you been using the above combo, and have you noticed any difference?

I still use Beverly's protein. I never tried adding heavy cream, although I know that many old-time body builders followed this practice as late as Zane's era because I remember him discussing doing it.

Blair had most of his clients mix his powder in a similar manner. Larry Scott mentioned making a concoction of powder, 6 raw eggs, and straight cream. He said the consistency was more like a pudding.

I've only been doing it about a week
The only thing I've noticed it that it makes a very tasty protein drink. I"m not expecting any magical muscle building effects

I mix the cream with ~ 12 oz of water in a shaker bottle and then add two scoops of protein powder

I'm trying to ease back into the keto diet and I still find it difficult to eat a lot of fat but you can get a lot of very healthy fat in on a few ounces raw unpasteurized heavy cream.  Good source of CLA and Vitamin K2 and I'm sure other stuff.
It's very easy on the stomach which is good because I don't have much of an appetite in the morning

If I couldn't get the raw stuff then I would not personally use any dairy.  

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 06:17:49 PM »
I've only been doing it about a week
The only thing I've noticed it that it makes a very tasty protein drink. I"m not expecting any magical muscle building effects

I mix the cream with ~ 12 oz of water in a shaker bottle and then add two scoops of protein powder

I'm trying to ease back into the keto diet and I still find it difficult to eat a lot of fat but you can get a lot of very healthy fat in on a few ounces raw unpasteurized heavy cream.  Good source of CLA and Vitamin K2 and I'm sure other stuff.
It's very easy on the stomach which is good because I don't have much of an appetite in the morning

If I couldn't get the raw stuff then I would not personally use any dairy.  

Yeah, raw is superior. If you haven't already, browse the Weston Price site when you've got a little time. You may find some of their articles rather interesting.

Personally, I believe that the fat in dairy helps with absorption/digestion of the powders.

Good luck with the new protocol.
If you stick with it for a while, let us know how it works out!

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 06:36:40 PM »

Yeah, raw is superior. If you haven't already, browse the Weston Price site when you've got a little time. You may find some of their articles rather interesting.

Personally, I believe that the fat in dairy helps with absorption/digestion of the powders.

Good luck with the new protocol.
If you stick with it for a while, let us know how it works out!

yeah, I've browsed the Weston Price site before
I had a old GF who was really into the Nourishing Traditions book by Sally Fallon