Author Topic: United Airlines Overbooks Flights - and Beats up a Paying Passenger  (Read 67002 times)

Twaddle

• Getbig V
Re: What happens when United Airlines overbooks a flight?
« Reply #250 on: April 13, 2017, 01:46:57 PM »
lets get this right, you believe one person can singlehandedly scupper an entire flight because he doesnt want to get off a plane when asked?

Seriously?

Federal law allows Airlines to "bump" passengers if they are overbooked.

Federal law allows airlines to bump passengers before boarding a plane, in the event the plane is overbooked.  This plane was not overbooked.  Passengers were allowed to check in and board the plane.  UA then decided at the last minute that they needed to get 4 of their employees on that flight, in order to get them to another airport.  

This man did nothing wrong, and hopefully he will sue the shit out of UA.  

Twaddle

• Getbig V
Re: United Airlines Overbooks Flights - and Beats up a Paying Passenger
« Reply #251 on: April 13, 2017, 01:47:56 PM »
I don't understand the legal rational of some Getbiggers who think the airline is in the right.

He effectively entered into a contractual acgreement with the airline for a service, he pays money, so they get him from A to B. Unless there's a tangible reason to remove him I.e. Safety reasons they had no right to remove him. He was sitting down quietly did not assault anyone and even when he was man handled he only tried to cling on to his seat from what I can see.

The error of overbooking was a poor logistical management on the part of the airline and their own failure 100%...hence it is fully responsible for this and punishing a passenger for their own error will not go down well in a court of law which weighs on cases based on the principle of fairness. To me this screams pure arrogance and disregard towards its own clients.

The airline was not in the right.  The Getbiggers who think this are full of shit. 

Twaddle

• Getbig V
« Reply #252 on: April 13, 2017, 01:58:31 PM »
you are not allowing for this web site being one where  wankers defend the the indefensible

:D

Dave D

• Getbig V
Re: What happens when United Airlines overbooks a flight?
« Reply #253 on: April 13, 2017, 02:03:37 PM »
lets get this right, you believe one person can singlehandedly scupper an entire flight because he doesnt want to get off a plane when asked?

Seriously?

Federal law allows Airlines to "bump" passengers if they are overbooked.

You've worked in the industry, so speak on this.

The passenger was seated, ticket accepted.  I know they can remove people at any point (rude and unruly, threatening,  drunk) but they can remove customers because they want to use their seat for non priority staff?

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #254 on: April 13, 2017, 02:33:57 PM »
Whatever the rights of the airline company.

Really does any one honestly believe it is the best & right thing to do is to
Forcibly drag off a plane an all ready seated & luggage stowed passenger
(man)of 69 Who was not causing any kind of issue - They Broke his nose knocked
his Front teeth out & he suffered concussion !!!

How would all of you who are sticking up for the airline / cops react if that
Was your father / Brother.
I'm sure you would all say - Well he deserved it.  ::)

There were far far better ways to have remedied the situation that united airlines
Had caused themselves by suddenly having the urgent need to transfer 4 of their
Own staff.

The mere fact that the CEO has completely changed his tune & is jumping through
More hoops than a performing dog clearly indicates It wasn't the Right or Best thing to do.

Zillotch

• Getbig V
  • the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever
« Reply #255 on: April 13, 2017, 02:37:16 PM »
They Broke his nose knocked his Front teeth out & he suffered concussion !!!

haha awesome

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #256 on: April 13, 2017, 02:55:08 PM »
Whatever the rights of the airline company.

Really does any one honestly believe it is the best & right thing to do is to
Forcibly drag off a plane an all ready seated & luggage stowed passenger
(man)of 69 Who was not causing any kind of issue - They Broke his nose knocked
his Front teeth out & he suffered concussion !!!

How would all of you who are sticking up for the airline / cops react if that
Was your father / Brother.
I'm sure you would all say - Well he deserved it.  ::)

There were far far better ways to have remedied the situation that united airlines
Had caused themselves by suddenly having the urgent need to transfer 4 of their
Own staff.

The mere fact that the CEO has completely changed his tune & is jumping through
More hoops than a performing dog clearly indicates It wasn't the Right or Best thing to do.

This.

I think we all understand the airline company owns the plane, it's private property, no one argues that.

That said they can't just do whatever they want, because if they could why wouldn't they ban individuals who look like they could be Muslim? The answer is because they can't do whatever they like.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #257 on: April 13, 2017, 03:29:19 PM »
That shit never would have happened with Vince Basile's airline

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #258 on: April 13, 2017, 03:53:30 PM »
They Broke his nose knocked his Front teeth out & he suffered concussion !!!

His front teeth weren't knocked out when went back onto the aircraft.  I take it it's typical Lawyer embellishment of damages.  i.e. bumping your head becomes a concussion. A bleeding nose becomes a broken nose, etc.

Don_Dada

• Getbig III
« Reply #259 on: April 13, 2017, 04:12:00 PM »
His front teeth weren't knocked out when went back onto the aircraft.  I take it it's typical Lawyer embellishment of damages.  i.e. bumping your head becomes a concussion. A bleeding nose becomes a broken nose, etc.

Don't matter. This ain't gonna go to court. Many millions of tax free dollars will be paid to the Doctor in a settlement

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #260 on: April 13, 2017, 07:21:50 PM »

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #261 on: April 13, 2017, 08:30:52 PM »
one would think UA prices would be at an all time low. 
NOPE
:

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #262 on: April 13, 2017, 08:37:04 PM »
one would think UA prices would be at an all time low. 
NOPE

And, just when you thought there was no corporate support, along comes PL. Like clockwork.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #263 on: April 13, 2017, 09:13:52 PM »
And, just when you thought there was no corporate support, along comes PL. Like clockwork.

Waddle along now, Lancelot Link.  Don't you have a manana to suck?   Fooking libtard.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #264 on: April 13, 2017, 09:29:14 PM »
Waddle along now, Lancelot Link.  Don't you have a manana to suck?   Fooking libtard.
Easy, now. You almost used a big word, there. Might hurt yourself.  ::)

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #265 on: April 13, 2017, 09:30:44 PM »
Easy, now. You almost used a big word, there. Might hurt yourself.  ::)

Alllll righty then.  Pathetic imitation of life that you are.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #266 on: April 13, 2017, 09:58:22 PM »
;D  Let me guess. Divorced. Kids don't talk to you. Saturday CostCo runs and washing the pickup are big events. 

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #267 on: April 13, 2017, 11:27:58 PM »

What does this mean, Scott? You use it quite a bit.

Simple Simon

« Reply #268 on: April 14, 2017, 12:13:21 AM »
This.

I think we all understand the airline company owns the plane, it's private property, no one argues that.

That said they can't just do whatever they want, because if they could why wouldn't they ban individuals who look like they could be Muslim? The answer is because they can't do whatever they like.

because federal law doesn't say they can, federal law says they can 'bump' passengers so they can.

should they be able to bump passengers, no, but its the law, dont mix morality with the law.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #269 on: April 14, 2017, 12:17:59 AM »
Americans have a strong sense of individual rights and we have a history of one person standing up to the masses when that individual believes there has been an injustice. Rosa Parks comes to mind. And though that perceived injustice may in fact be legal we also distinguish between legality and morality. What the law allows and what is the right thing to do is often quite different. Adultery may be legal but most think it is immoral or wrong.

In this dispute between a buyer and a seller, the seller may very well have been within their legal right but it is the way they handled it is what makes them the clear loser in this business dispute. They have already paid a heavy penalty, far more than they would have if only United just paid the amount that at least one of the passengers would have determine is a fair trade off between their time and inconvenience versus additional income. Much like people do routinely when they give up their weekend to work additional hours for overtime pay. And I'm sure additional penalties are likely to come.

In addition, one man, just one man, who refused to be pushed around because one group claims greater authority and employs others with guns and badges and with greater numbers to overpower you and do you physical harm, quite possibly has sent an entire industry on notice and force them to reconsider how they treat their paying customers making things better for the rest of us.  

Simple Simon

« Reply #270 on: April 14, 2017, 12:20:10 AM »
Americans have a strong sense of individual rights and we have a history of one person standing up to the masses when that individual believes there has been an injustice. Rosa Parks comes to mind. And though that perceived injustice may in fact be legal we also distinguish between legality and morality. What the law allows and what is the right thing to do is often quite different. Adultery may be legal but most think it is immoral or wrong.

In this dispute between a buyer and a seller, the seller may very well have been within their legal right but it is the way they handled it is what makes them the clear loser in this business dispute. They have already paid a heavy penalty, far more than they would have if only United just paid the amount that at least one of the passengers would have determine is a fair trade off between their time and inconvenience versus additional income. Much like people do routinely when they give up their weekend to work additional hours for overtime pay. And I'm sure additional penalties are likely to come.

In addition, one man, just one man, who refused to be pushed around because one group claims greater authority and employs others with guns and badges and with greater numbers to overpower you and do you physical harm, quite possibly has sent an entire industry on notice and force them to reconsider how they treat their paying customers making things better for the rest of us.  

Rosa Parks is why your country is in such a mess.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #271 on: April 14, 2017, 12:45:03 AM »
Rosa Parks is why your country is in such a mess.

Again it's a matter of perspective and world view. I consider allowing a man or woman of any color to sit anywhere they choose on a bus funded by tax payers to be an advance in decency and civility.

As far as our country being a mess, again compare to who or what? We are the clear leader of the world. The rest of the world looks to us for virtually everything. Our culture dominates the world as others try to be more like us. No nation makes a move without considering very carefully what America's action will be. It's the dream of so many who want a better life to come to America. To be like us. I wonder how many Americans are on non American bbing broads versus non Americans like you on American boards like this one.

And of course it's nice to know that if push came to shove we can kick the ass of any other country in the world. Just one of our aircraft carriers has the military capabilities that would rank 5th in the world compared to the rest of the other nations.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #272 on: April 14, 2017, 12:48:50 AM »
they had the right to remove him probably

but was the force used reasonable?

on the balance of probabilities no it wasn't

they will settle with him out of court

as the court would likely rule against them

T

Simple Simon

« Reply #273 on: April 14, 2017, 12:52:04 AM »
Again it's a matter of perspective and world view. I consider allowing a man or woman of any color to sit anywhere they choose on a bus funded by tax payers to be an advance in decency and civility.

As far as our country being a mess, again compare to who or what? We are the clear leader of the world. The rest of the world looks to us for virtually everything. Our culture dominates the world as others try to be more like us. No nation makes a move without considering very carefully what America's action will be. It's the dream of so many who want a better life to come to America. To be like us. I wonder how many Americans are on non American bbing broads versus non Americans like you on American boards like this one.

And of course it's nice to know that if push came to shove we can kick the ass of any other country in the world. Just one of our aircraft carriers has the military capabilities that would rank 5th in the world compared to the rest of the other nations.

its comments like this that come from Americans who have a blinkered view of the world because they are Americans.

You have a skewed view of what the world wants or expects from you.
America is the schoolyard bully who naively mistakes fear for respect.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #274 on: April 14, 2017, 01:12:30 AM »
its comments like this that come from Americans who have a blinkered view of the world because they are Americans.

You have a skewed view of what the world wants or expects from you.
America is the schoolyard bully who naively mistakes fear for respect.

So you disagree that America is the world's leader? That our culture and influence dominates the world. That so many dream of coming to America. That China vis-a-vis Taiwan and North Korea vis-a-vis South Korea would be very different if it was for America.

And what does the world want or expect from America? Well, whenever there's a huge natural disaster or a military invasion no one looks to Britain, France or Germany and asks, "What are they doing to do? When are they going to help?"

As far as America being a bully. I can only wish and hope. We should have just planted our flags and claim Iraqi's oil as our own as we were accused and wanting to do as part of our invasion.