Author Topic: Blue Stars and DOMS.  (Read 120933 times)

johnny1

• Getbig IV
Re: Where are my Blue Stars?!!?
« Reply #200 on: April 18, 2017, 05:05:13 PM »
In fairness there's not many guys on this board who even for one day in their lives have had a body matching basiles in that 1975 photo. And anyone who says different is a liar. Goodrum even when you get aids you wont reach within 20% bf of basile that day. He sure beats the shit out of my physique
yup that's a great physique bye anyone's standards the fact that it was taken in the 1970s vince did look fantastic.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #201 on: April 18, 2017, 06:50:48 PM »
I won other contests in the past. Gave most of my trophies away.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #202 on: April 18, 2017, 08:37:25 PM »
Oxygen Gym in Kuwait has a lot of equipment. One supplier is Atlantis Strength. So I looked at their website.

Lo and behold they have no idea about safety because the elbows should never touch pads because they can be damaged

by pressure and friction.

I have had to modify two biceps machines from other manufacturers. One from Nautilus and one from Life Fitness. The LF

machine needed the pivot point moved two inches. That is not good design. It helps if engineers actually train and know

how to use equipment. You can see I had to move the Nautilus arm pad 2 inches so that the elbows don't contact the pads.

The bottom photo is a modified Life Fitness machine. I added a cam and weight stack. Last week I had to cut the machine

and move the arm pads two inches closer to the pivot points. Don't know why I didn't pick this up years ago. Now this machine

feels much better. Good movement. Of course, not as effective as my biceps-supinator machine.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #203 on: April 18, 2017, 09:09:23 PM »
I have done quite a few things in the Iron Game. I started lifting weights back in 1958 when I was 16. I eventually competed in a contest in 1964.

While at UBC I competed for the university in weightlifting and earned a big block UBC letter and sweater. I also set up a bodybuilding club at UBC

called the Figleafers so we could use the gym under the stadium. I won two "Strongest Man on Campus" contests and broke the uni record for the

deadlift doing 525. I didn't try steroids until 1970, just 2 Dianbol a day for a few months.

I set a world record in pinch gripping on a machine I designed and built. 203 pounds with one hand on a slippery polished stainless steel surface.

My best lifts are Bench 410, Full Squat 470, Deadlift 525, Curl 177.5, Standing Press 270.

Over the years I have taken photos and written articles for muscle magazines. I have had covers on Iron Man plus Health and Strength.

I came up with a new theory on hypertrophy called the DOMS theory. So far no one has refuted my claims. I published the theory in Flex Magazine.

I was involved in bodybuilding organizations and came up with criterion for judging contests. I have also judged national contests in Australia.

I have managed gyms in the past and co-owned gyms since 1971. I have designed and equipped 5 gyms over the years including two of my gyms.

I patented a biceps-supinator machine in 1995 in the USA and several other countries. Expensive and a waste of money.

I post on bodybuilding sites and explained my theory of bodybuilding and contribute trying to help others with training and other issues.

So I have just about done it all in the Iron Game. Larry Scott was a smart guy but he didn't invent much that is interesting. Just some benches.

Zane has a masters degree but invented simple equipment and nothing with a weight stack that I know about. Arnold invented nothing at all.

So I don't need blue stars. However, why have coloured stars to give some status if you are not going to distribute them in a fair and honest fashion?

Twaddle

• Getbig V
« Reply #204 on: April 18, 2017, 10:44:15 PM »
For God's sake, give him his blues stars!  The man has done more for the industry, than the white towel.

BSN

• Getbig IV
« Reply #205 on: April 18, 2017, 10:57:17 PM »
If memory serves Savile was a president of Nabba or the Ifbb in England at one stage. Super schmoe

Jimmy Savile was the president of NABBA. But in fact the head of NABBA was Oscar Heidenstam.

Give the blues stars to Vince !  ;D

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #206 on: April 18, 2017, 11:58:27 PM »

I came up with a new theory on hypertrophy called the DOMS theory. So far no one has refuted my claims. I published the theory in Flex Magazine.

Actually it has been refuted in studies. You have commented in the past the dearth of bbing studies but there are many and constant. I don't think you are looking in the right places or even at all.

In this study I posted recently the subjects actually lost muscle size and strength while they were in DOMS and only started to progress after soreness subsided and the adaptation phase took place.

Of course you can dispute these claims and attempt to refute them but it would be disingenuous  to claim that no contradictory studies have been done and published.

http://ergo-log.com/too-intense-strength-training-doesn-t-result-in-muscle-growth.html

The men reported more muscle soreness in week 1 than in weeks 3 and 10, as the figure above shows. In addition, the men lost a considerable amount of muscle strength after their workout in week 1.

The cells in the men's leg muscles only started to grow when the men had become used to the training stimuli. Hypertrophy in the muscle tissue only started to occur once the men did not have sore muscles after working out, and once their creatine kinase levels were not spiralling high.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #207 on: April 19, 2017, 12:16:48 AM »
Actually it has been refuted in studies. You have commented in the past the dearth of bbing studies but there are many and constant. I don't think you are looking in the right places or even at all.

In this study I posted recently the subjects actually lost muscle size and strength while they were in DOMS and only started to progress after soreness subsided and the adaptation phase took place.

Of course you can dispute these claims and attempt to refute them but it would be disingenuous  to claim that no contradictory studies have been done and published.

http://ergo-log.com/too-intense-strength-training-doesn-t-result-in-muscle-growth.html

The men reported more muscle soreness in week 1 than in weeks 3 and 10, as the figure above shows. In addition, the men lost a considerable amount of muscle strength after their workout in week 1.

The cells in the men's leg muscles only started to grow when the men had become used to the training stimuli. Hypertrophy in the muscle tissue only started to occur once the men did not have sore muscles after working out, and once their creatine kinase levels were not spiralling high.

Yes, I saw the post you made. Trouble is we can't access the full study to see exactly what they did. Most of these studies are of little use for bodybuilders because the subjects were not bodybuilders.

Also, you have to increase food consumption or you can't grow much muscle. My point remains, the exercise scientists are not interested in doing long term studies on advanced bodybuilders.

I will comment again after reading what I can find re that experiment.

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
« Reply #208 on: April 19, 2017, 12:32:54 AM »
ive never felt comfortable with my elbows on the pads while training biceps so ive avoided that alltogether

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #209 on: April 19, 2017, 12:40:01 AM »
Actually, the full study is available for those that really want it.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1113/JP272472/abstract;jsessionid=565F806F69EE335A08F5C123EAF42773.f04t02

And though many of these studies are not done by experience resistance trainees that does not necessarily render the results useless. In fact, in some studies you may want to exclude very advance trainees as at some point meaningful and measurable gains may simply not be possible. I mean, to take an extreme example, how much more can you get out of a 2003 Ronnie Coleman no matter what you do, feed or administer.

What did happen in this study was that gains were lost or nonexistent during DOMS but they were experienced after the DOMS phase which may indicate that insufficient caloric consumption was not the issue. They did grow.

Of course, Disgusted closed the thread as it had nothing to do with comparing the adaptation response to various levels of intensity. Just what happens when you subject your body to resistance training.

What happens if you compare training protocols that feature positive failure versus forced reps, negatives, drop sets, pre exhaust....?

A misleading study but not without merit.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #210 on: April 19, 2017, 12:42:56 AM »
didnt vince say he was going to prove his theory

by training his arms every day for a month and putting an inch on them

didnt he fail
T

Simple Simon

« Reply #211 on: April 19, 2017, 12:46:34 AM »
didnt vince say he was going to prove his theory

by training his arms every day for a month and putting an inch on them

didnt he fail
no, they are now an inch longer...

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #212 on: April 19, 2017, 01:02:43 AM »
Actually, the full study is available for those that really want it.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1113/JP272472/abstract;jsessionid=565F806F69EE335A08F5C123EAF42773.f04t02

And though many of these studies are not done by experience resistance trainees that does not necessarily render the results useless. In fact, in some studies you may want to exclude very advance trainees as at some point meaningful and measurable gains may simply not be possible. I mean, to take an extreme example, how much more can you get out of a 2003 Ronnie Coleman no matter what you do, feed or administer.

What did happen in this study was that gains were lost or nonexistent during DOMS but they were experienced after the DOMS phase which may indicate that insufficient caloric consumption was not the issue. They did grow.

Of course, Disgusted closed the thread as it had nothing to do with comparing the adaptation response to various levels of intensity. Just what happens when you subject your body to resistance training.

What happens if you compare training protocols that feature positive failure versus forced reps, negatives, drop sets, pre exhaust....?

A misleading study but not without merit.

There are a lot of things we need to define when we examine studies. Did anyone take measurements during and after the experiment? So what did they use to determine if any muscle size was gained?

"Conclusion: The cells in the men's leg muscles only started to grow when the men had become used to the training stimuli. Hypertrophy in the muscle tissue only started to occur once the men did not have sore muscles after working out, and once their creatine kinase levels were not spiralling high.

Of course strength training stimulates muscle growth, the Brazilians concluded. But not if the stimulus is too intense."

They had 10 men who hadn't done any lifting in the previous 6 months. How on earth do they represent bodybuilders? The people doing the study concluded that gains were made ONLY after becoming used to the training.

Surely all bodybuilders are used to training? In fact, the vast majority of people lifting weights are NOT growing. Why is this so? Why doesn't everyone grow who trains with resistance? A good question.

If we look at hypertrophy from a logical point of view we see that it occurs only if the body does something unusual and with enough intensity or duration or both.

All gym owners and personal trainers know that you have to go easy on beginners in the gym. I find the study interesting but it does not refute my claims.

I state that an intermediate bodybuilder who trains hard several times a week will experience hypertrophy if he can generate sufficient DOMS in his target muscles.

When a study is done with such bodybuilders I will accept the results. My own experience is that it is difficult to generate DOMS in some muscles such as biceps.

So, if you can get your biceps sore then they should grow about 1/10 of an inch by the next day. Yes, some of the size is inflammation but there is hypertrophy because

the size gains are accompanied with strength gains over a period of say a month.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #213 on: April 19, 2017, 01:19:22 AM »
vince will never accept anything apart from his own unproven opinion

if vinces theories are correct we would all have 30" arms

what a bufoon he is
T

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #214 on: April 19, 2017, 01:43:04 AM »
There are a lot of things we need to define when we examine studies. Did anyone take measurements during and after the experiment? So what did they use to determine if any muscle size was gained?

"Conclusion: The cells in the men's leg muscles only started to grow when the men had become used to the training stimuli. Hypertrophy in the muscle tissue only started to occur once the men did not have sore muscles after working out, and once their creatine kinase levels were not spiralling high.

Of course strength training stimulates muscle growth, the Brazilians concluded. But not if the stimulus is too intense."

They had 10 men who hadn't done any lifting in the previous 6 months. How on earth do they represent bodybuilders? The people doing the study concluded that gains were made ONLY after becoming used to the training.

Surely all bodybuilders are used to training? In fact, the vast majority of people lifting weights are NOT growing. Why is this so? Why doesn't everyone grow who trains with resistance? A good question.

If we look at hypertrophy from a logical point of view we see that it occurs only if the body does something unusual and with enough intensity or duration or both.

All gym owners and personal trainers know that you have to go easy on beginners in the gym. I find the study interesting but it does not refute my claims.

I state that an intermediate bodybuilder who trains hard several times a week will experience hypertrophy if he can generate sufficient DOMS in his target muscles.

When a study is done with such bodybuilders I will accept the results. My own experience is that it is difficult to generate DOMS in some muscles such as biceps.

So, if you can get your biceps sore then they should grow about 1/10 of an inch by the next day. Yes, some of the size is inflammation but there is hypertrophy because

the size gains are accompanied with strength gains over a period of say a month.

Did you purchase the study and read it in full?

Because it was not detailed how they were able to measure hypertrophy doesn't mean it didn't happen? They did explain how muscle damage was measured. And measurements are not a very good indication of muscle hypertrophy. I increase the size of my thighs over night just by consuming a lot of carbs and water.

"Why doesn't everyone grow as a result of resistance training?" Of course they do but at wildly different rates and levels. Dr. Walzak told me that one reaches the upper limits of his natural genetic potential after about three years of serious training and eating with about 80% of those gains coming within the first year (talking about an adult).

Why do some people get a very dark tan from the sun and others do not? It's all about one's genetic predisposition. Jones stated this clearly. No amount of hormones, peptides and DOMS will change that. The human body does not want to carry a lot of muscle and given the slightest excuse will get rid of it. Muscle, even at rest, requires a lot of metabolic support: blood supply, nutrients, etc. Muscle is a metabolic cost to the body. Fat is just the opposite. Stored energy. Your body likes stored energy and will store as much as it can even at the expense of no longer resembling a human form. Both are proven clearly in real life.

And I don't know if an "unusual" training stimulus is always necessary for muscle hypertrophy. I am amazed at the muscular size my nephew has put on in the last five years. Especially in the quads, arms and shoulders -- and he has never picked up a barbell in his life. He just entered puberty and ate more.

One of Jiu-Jitsu instructors, Reagan Machado, put on 30 lbs of muscle mass while in his mid twenties just by going off the primary fruit based diet espoused by the Gracies when he moved to the US and started eating more meat.

You demand proof that DOMS is not a necessary requirement to muscle hypertrophy but have yet to provide proof of your own. This study did present evidence that DOMS is a stage preceding muscle adaptation albeit in nonbodybuilders but I see no reason why this would not also apply to more advance trainees. It's like when I did work with my hands. I would wear away the skin first, which caused some pain and discomfort, the soreness and broken down phase (a form of DOMS?), until a callous would build up and I would no longer experience discomfort and my callouses would grow more pronounce as I continued working with my hands.

And, don't forget, you did try to prove your DOMS theory in the real world with practical application and have always failed. You have presented the theory, the onus is on you to prove it and not on others to disprove it.

Very happy to have you back on this board again.

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
« Reply #215 on: April 19, 2017, 01:57:39 AM »
which one is more important for muscle growth - doms or pump?

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #216 on: April 19, 2017, 02:02:17 AM »

Because it was not detailed how they were able to measure hypertrophy doesn't mean it didn't happen? They did explain how muscle damage was measured. And measurements are not a very good indication of muscle hypertrophy. I increase the size of my thighs over night just by consuming a lot of carbs and water.

"Why doesn't everyone grow as a result of resistance training?" Of course they do but at wildly different rates and levels. Dr. Walzak told me that one reaches the upper limits of his natural genetic potential after about three years of serious training and eating with about 80% of those gains coming within the first year (talking about an adult).

Why do some people get a very dark tan from the sun and others do not? It's all about one's genetic predisposition. Jones stated this clearly. No amount of hormones, peptides and DOMS will change that. The human body does not want to carry a lot of muscle and given the slightest excuse will get rid of it. Muscle, even at rest, requires a lot of metabolic support: blood supply, nutrients, etc. Muscle is a metabolic cost to the body. Fat is just the opposite. Stored energy. Your body likes stored energy and will store as much as it can even at the expense of no longer resembling a human form. Both are proven clearly in real life.

And I don't know if an "unusual" training stimulus is always necessary for muscle hypertrophy. I am amazed at the muscular size my nephew has put on in the last five years. Especially in the quads, arms and shoulders -- and he has never picked up a barbell in his life. He just entered puberty and ate more.

One of Jiu-Jitsu instructors, Reagan Machado, put on 30 lbs of muscle mass while in his mid twenties just by going off the primary fruit based diet espoused by the Gracies when he moved to the US and started eating more meat.

You demand proof that DOMS is not a necessary requirement to muscle hypertrophy but have yet to provide proof of your own. This study did present evidence that DOMS is a stage preceding muscle adaptation albeit in nonbodybuilders but I see no reason why this would not also apply to more advance trainees. It's like when I did work with my hands. I would wear away the skin first, which caused some pain and discomfort, the soreness and broken down phase (a form of DOMS?), until a callous would build up and I would no longer experience discomfort and my callouses would grow more pronounce as I continued working with my hands.

And, don't forget, you did try to prove your DOMS theory in the real world with practical application and have always failed. You have presented the theory, the onus is on you to prove it and not on others to disprove it.

My 2 pence worth.
Not disputing what either yourself or Vince says.

Only Not all university studies are what they are cracked up to be or are particularly reliable,
Also depends if it is being paid for by a company / group - that maybe after a certain
type of result.

I use the gym at Loughborough university ( UK ) this is the top sports university in the
uk - and some of the nonsense they do & and come up with is farcical if not downright dangerous
at times.
Some of the highly paid sports coaches are a joke - you could write what they know in Large letters
on The back of A Stamp... FA

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #217 on: April 19, 2017, 02:08:52 AM »

You demand proof that DOMS is not a necessary requirement to muscle hypertrophy but have yet to provide proof of your own. This study did present evidence that DOMS is a stage preceding muscle adaptation albeit in nonbodybuilders but Conclusion

Of course strength training stimulates muscle growth, the Brazilians concluded. But not if the stimulus is too intense.DOMS?), until a callous would build up and I would no longer experience discomfort and my callouses would grow more pronounce as I continued working with my hands.

No, I didn't pay $6 for a copy. Didn't seem like a study that is particularly valuable to me.

My DOMS training works on me every time. The reason I don't grow much is because I don't keep it up. You have to train the same muscle every third day. Otherwise you recover and then

experience the 'repeated bout effect'. In other words, if you recover completely it will take an even more unusual effort to trigger further hypertrophy. That is why I advocate training while

the muscle is sore. Once warmed up the soreness mostly evaporates and most of the strength is there plus a little bit after a short while, eg., a week.

Most people do so many things that they literally do not know what is responsible for any growth. The majority of trainees grow so slowly they can't measure it on arms and calves for example.

When I grow I can measure my arms and calves with a tape the next morning and they are bigger. Calves are biggest near the end of a day whereas the arms are largest first thing in the morning.

Let me be clear. I do not state that DOMS is a requirement for hypertrophy. I do claim that experienced trainees will grow if they can generate DOMS in a target muscle....and eat enough to gain

weight. I doubt capacity for hypertrophy is related to the capacity for getting tanned. Yes, people will differ but who here knows what his genetic capacity is? Nobody knows. What happens is that

frustrated trainees stop growing so conclude they don't have the genetics. They certainly don't blame their training or choice of exercises.

Mike Mentzer was right about there being only one true and complete theory of hypertrophy. Clearly that one true theory can't be embraced by the majority of trainees who are not growing.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #218 on: April 19, 2017, 02:13:37 AM »
you can see vinces theories work

here he is

great every day look easy to maintain by eating shit and never training
T

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
« Reply #219 on: April 19, 2017, 02:16:26 AM »
doms theory seems easy enough to try out, worth checking out if you're stuck in your training.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #220 on: April 19, 2017, 02:21:11 AM »
which one is more important for muscle growth - doms or pump?

It is like this. Imagine a funnel. The wide part represents all the training methods that cause hypertrophy. No matter the method the physiological

state is the same and is represented by the narrow part of the funnel. To stimulate hypertrophy the muscle will be shaking, fully pumped, and hard.

The trainee will be sweating and feeling rather good because getting that pump stimulates pleasant feelings in the brain.

There is no easy way to maximum hypertrophy. It is likely that there might be a geometric increase in effort to obtain the largest muscle size.

Otherwise, how do we explain why so few men get really large muscles from years and years of training. Yes, there are genetic factors as well.

We still aren't sure if hyperplasia occurs in champion bodybuilders. In other words, do some of those huge guys build more muscle fibres? There is

a suggestion that satellite cells can increase in some trained animals. Eg., Gonyea's cats.

It is the 21st century and we still don't have much of a clue about maximum hypertrophy.

There isn't a university on earth that is doing any studies re maximum human hypertrophy. I doubt any ever will which is a shame.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #221 on: April 19, 2017, 02:25:35 AM »
doms theory seems easy enough to try out, worth checking out if you're stuck in your training.

I posted on the website Hypertrophy Specific Training and debated everyone there except the owner who declined.

What I proposed was to keep doing what you are doing for one calf then try the DOMS method on the other calf.

Do this for a month and see if there are any differences. No one took up the challenge which is typical of bodybuilders.

HST suggested that to generate maximum hypertrophy in any particular day one would have to train that muscle

about 8 hours. That would be an interesting experiment. I haven't tried that one yet.

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #222 on: April 19, 2017, 02:27:55 AM »
LOL all these comments from anonymous entities. No photo, no identity, not a person....just an entity that can type.

Most people put on some fat as they get older. Then you have the problem of motivation. Young guys figure they need to look buff. Old guys don't care that much.

I still train off and on. The difficult thing is sticking to an hypertrophy program. Like training a certain way every third day. Not easy to sustain when motivation is

missing. I carry some safety fat but nothing to worry about. Oh, and another thing, it isn't easy to lose fat when you are an older guy.

Yes, yes, I'm an anonymous person - but I'm always straight with you, Vince.  I give you respect for how you looked in the past - but I don't really hide my lack of respect that you didn't carry that on.  

Having lost 10kg without doing an ounce of cardio, recently, I have to wonder if it is actually hard to for an old person to lose weight or is it just harder to skip dessert after dinner? :)

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #223 on: April 19, 2017, 02:41:20 AM »
Yes, yes, I'm an anonymous person - but I'm always straight with you, Vince.  I give you respect for how you looked in the past - but I don't really hide my lack of respect that you didn't carry that on.  

Having lost 10kg without doing an ounce of cardio, recently, I have to wonder if it is actually hard to for an old person to lose weight or is it just harder to skip dessert after dinner? :)

I have read some of your recent posts and you are quite candid about yourself, especially your looks and situation.

We bodybuilders know how to change body composition. Having the will power to achieve it is another thing. Same as going to the gym regularly.

It is known that fat accumulates easier in older men. This could be for cultural rather than genetic reasons. Most older guys are married so eating

three meals a day with a coffee or cup of tea or another drink here and there can lead to fat being deposited. For years my bodyweight hovered around

200 pounds. In the last decade I have been around 230 pounds. Calves are solid and almost 18 inches cold. Maybe I will see if I can get my arms over

18 inches before my 75th birthday in September. Just to shut up the doubters here. Should be fun.

Now Mr Rocket, you live in Australia. Why not come to my gym and have a workout and try my biceps-supinator? No charge. Email me first because

I am not at the gym often.  Send me a message for my email address or contact me through my gym.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #224 on: April 19, 2017, 02:46:59 AM »
Ron won't give me blue stars but in this thread we have a serious discussion about training. That doesn't happen often on this forum.

By the way, I have stated in the past that you need to be an expert in hypertrophy to know if someone else is an expert. In most gyms

and on the net most guys who are intermediates consider that they are experts when they clearly are not. I have always said that everyone

with muscular arms over 16" considers that they are experts in bodybuilding.

One of the things no one has ever obtained is a PhD degree for maximum human hypertrophy.