Author Topic: The weight lifting belt  (Read 4882 times)

Yanin

• Getbig III
The weight lifting belt
« on: April 14, 2017, 01:11:31 PM »
Iono what happened between now and 3 months ago but there's been a boom in people wearing belts for every exercise. I see them wearing it for chest. Shoulders even abs?!? Am I missing something lol I'm like the only person in my gym that doesn't even own a belt..last time I wore one was  to DL something like 450...for the most part I workout just to that limit of needed an belt..

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
Re: The weight lifting belt
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 01:32:47 PM »
as worthless as a support bra on a whore on a treadmill

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 01:49:28 PM »
People want to look like serious weightlifters even though they aren't. Nothing surprising about this, given the mental capacity of the average gym rat nowadays.

Simple Simon

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 01:51:09 PM »
never wear one.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 01:52:49 PM »
It's for show off...
many a trainee wears gloves and a belt to keep its ego save when curling the pink heavy ass weights... even in the showers pink towels are accompanied by sexy Inzer belts.

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 02:14:44 PM »
Wore one for years when i was powerlifting.

Always prefered the single-prong. Favorite belt was my single prong, grey suede, 10mm Inzer. Took a while to break in... Prolly 6 months. Looking back I'd go with a lever belt instead of the prong. In prison i started with a double prong and hated it. Went to single soon as i could (sold tons of Inzer belts when i got outta prison. Found the 13mm wayyy to stiff. Can't see anybody under 270lbs or squating 700+ needing the 13mm belts).

I find the conventional belts worthless and just for show. Too thin, too narrow, too flexible.  Belts have a purpose. They're not gonna keep your waist small if used properly. In fact they do the opposite. You actually push out against the belt to stabilize your spine. Thus your waist will expand.

While powerlifting, my waist expanded to 41"+ while still rock hard (wasnt my liver, since i was on legit hrt and zero booze or any other liver enlarging shit... And no insulin. No nothing.).

Pl belts are great for squat, DL, overhead presss, & even bench press, especially if you have somebody to pull the buckle down below your belly button after youre laid back and arched. I see guys doing pulldowns with a belt on andnjust shake my head.

Simple Simon

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 02:17:23 PM »
Wore one for years when i was powerlifting.

Always prefered the single-prong. Favorite belt was my single prong, grey suede, 10mm Inzer. Took a while to break in... Prolly 6 months. Looking back I'd go with a lever belt instead of the prong. In prison i started with a double prong and hated it. Went to single soon as i could (sold tons of Inzer belts when i got outta prison. Found the 13mm wayyy to stiff. Can't see anybody under 270lbs or squating 700+ needing the 13mm belts).

I find the conventional belts worthless and just for show. Too thin, too narrow, too flexible.  Belts have a purpose. They're not gonna keep your waist small if used properly. In fact they do the opposite. You actually push out against the belt to stabilize your spine. Thus your waist will expand.

While powerlifting, my waist expanded to 41"+ while still rock hard (wasnt my liver, since i was on legit hrt and zero booze or any other liver enlarging shit... And no insulin. No nothing.).

Pl belts are great for squat, DL, overhead presss, & even bench press, especially if you have somebody to pull the buckle down below your belly button after youre laid back and arched. I see guys doing pulldowns with a belt on andnjust shake my head.

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 02:18:20 PM »

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2017, 02:44:34 PM »
Why are you calling ukjeff 'twiggy?'

You can't seriously be calling him tiny.... are you? If so, that's pure 100% Getbigger right there.

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2017, 02:51:23 PM »
I use one for stiff-legged deadlifts and bent over rows.

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2017, 02:52:26 PM »
Why are you calling ukjeff 'twiggy?'

You can't seriously be calling him tiny.... are you? If so, that's pure 100% Getbigger right there.

You mean 15" arms and a 14" neck is "large"?

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2017, 02:59:14 PM »
You mean 15" arms and a 14" neck is "large"?

I don't care about neck measurements, or the numbers really. Looking at his pics, he has one of the best physiques on the board. Not trying to take sides because I  don't know what your current build is, but I do find it pretty comical.

NelsonMuntz

• Getbig V
  • Getbigs Most Positive Member March&October 2017
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2017, 03:12:44 PM »
I don't care about neck measurements, or the numbers really. Looking at his pics, he has one of the best physiques on the board. Not trying to take sides because I  don't know what your current build is, but I do find it pretty comical.

you know who you're talking to right?

"

Simple Simon

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2017, 02:00:19 AM »

its all he has mate, well, that and sending PMs hinting at hurting my family.

Guy is a bully who just sinks down when confronted.
Hes never going to amount to anything, I thought about his eventual outcome of him getting killed for picking on the wrong person but in reality he never really puts himself at risk, hes way too scared for that.

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2017, 02:06:33 AM »
i bought one once.

ended up only using it when helping a buddy move.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2017, 10:14:22 AM »
Some actually believe the myth that it helps lower back.

Simple Simon

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2017, 10:15:01 AM »
Some actually believe the myth that it helps lower back.

only whilst doing box squats....

;D

Spike

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Kill your ego
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2017, 10:49:16 AM »
Once I stayed around 250lb and got a rowdy gh gut or slin gut , my posture seemed to go

Comes from sitting or standing for long periods and having a tight chest and just not pulling my shoulders back /at all at time //slouching

When I wear a belt it holds the gh gut in and helps me always to hold my shoulders back

Posture led to a hip I believe gettin tight and had some low back shit on one side for awhile

I think if you have a certain degree of thickness , MUSCULAR wise, a belt helps trigger postural cues and helps me align shoulds, spine (axial skeleton) even hips better

Just sayin tho 

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2017, 10:51:27 AM »
only whilst doing box squats....

;D

Bah, still hadn't had an injury yet.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2017, 12:07:53 PM »
I wore won and hurt my back.  Stopped wearing it and back had been fine since.

TheShape.

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2017, 12:09:49 PM »
I wear it when I do heavy deadlifts and sometimes during benching.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2017, 12:12:32 PM »
Haven't used one in decades. If an Olympic lifter can win a gold medal without one why am I wearing one to do sets of 315lbs deadlifts?  

jdooly

• Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2017, 12:34:29 PM »
Improves V taper look.   ;D  I'm guilty.  I like the stability I feel plus I'm old (40) and makes me feel like I'm in Golds Venice in the 90's, lol.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2017, 01:09:58 PM »
useful to teach some newbie a lesson in the gym.
F

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2017, 01:31:18 PM »
Back in the day we wore it all through the workout on every bodypart except abs.