Author Topic: American Airlines - Wanna know why unions have a bad rap?  (Read 3796 times)

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
American Airlines - Wanna know why unions have a bad rap?
« on: April 23, 2017, 10:09:20 AM »
Because of stories like these:

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/union-defends-american-airlines-worker-after-fight-with-passenger/article/2620988

Instead of coming out and apologizing on behalf of the member, they defend him. It's the same SHIT with the police unions... Now, I'm no union-hater, in fact, I am the opposite of it (I personally benefit greatly from union benefits,) and white ladies crying doesn't really wake any white knight instinct in me (you can check all my previous comments,) but she is holding a baby, and I do have a soft spot for babies.

Why didn't the pilot or anyone in command throw this asshole out of the plane?

Tennisballz

• Getbig IV
  • You CANNOT be serious!
Re: Wanna know why unions have a bad rap?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 10:22:16 AM »

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/union-defends-american-airlines-worker-after-fight-with-passenger/article/2620988

Instead of coming out and apologizing on behalf of the member, they defend him. It's the same SHIT with the police unions... Now, I'm no union-hater, in fact, I am the opposite of it (I personally benefit greatly from union benefits,) and white ladies crying doesn't really wake any white knight instinct in me (you can check all my previous comments,) but she is holding a baby, and I do have a soft spot for babies.

I don't like unions at all.  I think workplaces should be competition based with the best employees rising to the top.  Union jobs are basically where the modern day slaves fall in line and do just enough to not get fired.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 10:33:05 AM »

We just picked up our first corporate account putting together, Implementing and rolling out the program to about 7700 executives, supervisors and associates (workers) that are Teamsters. Because they are backed by the union, they're literally taking time off for every little ache, pain, runny nose, family issue, etc and the company can't really do shit about. Since the company is self-insured, every employee that goes to a doctor or PT that gets put on leave, costs the company approximately $50k per employee. I've been told there are a few that have been out since January. If the company tries to fire them, the unions step in. It's fucking ridiculous

But just to clarify who I am referring, it's the associates (labor workers)

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 11:29:01 AM »
why do rap have a bad union?

Twaddle

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 11:48:28 AM »

Based on this article you posted, how exactly is the union defending him?  I think the title of the article is very misleading.  I read nothing in that article that would lead me to believe they are defending him.   ???

robcguns

• Getbig V
  • Founder of the proud straight white male movement
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 11:51:12 AM »
Can't stand unions myself.Bunch of overpaid lazy sacks of shit for the most part.I think it's disgusting how lots of jobs are only union jobs.Thats why everything costs so much cause of union wages etc...

Dave D

• Getbig V
Re: American Airlines - Wanna know why unions have a bad rap?
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 12:41:53 PM »
Unions arent the reason why things cost so much. They are the reason companies offer fair and reasonable pay. Factors like profit and going rates determine price.

Unions also dont have free reign to dictate what companies can and cant do. They negotiate labor prices and are designed to "protect" employees. If an employee is a "bum" they wont last long, neither the company nor the union want these type of employees or members.

People are able to milk the system, but thats also a two way street, as weve seen strong union companies abuse reources while claiming bankruptcy.

Unions are a business and they exsist because there is a need for them. Theyre no where near as powerful as they once were but in many cases they are a needed organization.

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 12:42:27 PM »
Based on this article you posted, how exactly is the union defending him?  I think the title of the article is very misleading.  I read nothing in that article that would lead me to believe they are defending him.   ???

The guy was seen, by various parties, hitting the woman.

One of the passengers got up and said "I saw you hit her".

I'd say the benefit of the doubt boat has long gone parted-harbor.

Twaddle

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 01:16:38 PM »
The guy was seen, by various parties, hitting the woman.

One of the passengers got up and said "I saw you hit her".

I'd say the benefit of the doubt boat has long gone parted-harbor.

Okay, I'll ask again.  Based on the misleading article you posted, how is the union defending him?   ???

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 01:20:51 PM »
Airlines turning into total assholes but I'd bet these workers see more their fair share of assholes traveling daily.  My favorite was a guy watching a movie on his laptop in first class without headphones and full blast.  When the flight attendant nicely told him he's disturbing others this person was a real big dick to the lady.  I didn't care because I had headphones on but these people deal with fuckers all day long

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2017, 01:58:06 PM »
Okay, I'll ask again.  Based on the misleading article you posted, how is the union defending him?   ???

By urging people to use "skepticism and caution," which is precisely what the AA employee did not use.

Look at the lady on the video posted on another thread (an image is worth a thousand words). Look at how the person who hit the lady is acting. Is he sporting a conciliatory and calming attitude toward the lady (who is holding a baby and seems like about to have a breakdown mind you)? Does he look like a person who has done nothing wrong and wants nothing but to appease a distraught person and her baby? NO, in fact, what YOU and I see is a jerk off in full hostile mode. Even the flight captain has to intercede so that the situation does not escalate.

Has American Airlines apologized for the incident? Yes. Why? Because, as the video shows, the flight attendant's attitude is extremely damaging, showing NO concern whatsoever for the distraught party.

So, to re-re-reiterate, with all the evidence at hand, and American Airlines' apology on the table (something they no doubt did because, after the other employees were interviewed, they can smell a large lawsuit on the way,) why would the union come out and issue the usual generic call for "caution" and to wait for the internal investigation to end? To show what? That hothead Joe had too many shots prior to getting on the plain and the darn lady would not let go of the stroller?  

Not only that, the fact that the union included the other passenger in the communiqué makes the whole ordeal the more surreal. This was done with very ill intentions so as to obfuscate both events into some sort of larger altercation from which the AA employee was equally ill-treated. Bullshit. The fact is that the passenger's last outburst was nothing but a RE-action to the AA employee's hostile attitude.

Twaddle

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2017, 02:33:35 PM »
By urging people to use "skepticism and caution," which is precisely what the AA employee did not use.

Look at the lady on the video posted on another thread (an image is worth a thousand words). Look at how the person who hit the lady is acting. Is he sporting a conciliatory and calming attitude toward the lady (who is holding a baby and seems like about to have a breakdown mind you)? Does he look like a person who has done nothing wrong and wants nothing but to appease a distraught person and her baby? NO, in fact, what YOU and I see is a jerk off in full hostile mode. Even the flight captain has to intercede so that the situation does not escalate.

Has American Airlines apologized for the incident? Yes. Why? Because, as the video shows, the flight attendant's attitude is extremely damaging, showing NO concern whatsoever for the distraught party.

So, to re-re-reiterate, with all the evidence at hand, and American Airlines' apology on the table (something they no doubt did because, after the other employees were interviewed, they can smell a large lawsuit on the way,) why would the union come out and issue the usual generic call for "caution" and to wait for the internal investigation to end? To show what? That hothead Joe had too many shots prior to getting on the plain and the darn lady would not let go of the stroller?  

Not only that, the fact that the union included the other passenger in the communiqué makes the whole ordeal the more surreal. This was done with very ill intentions so as to obfuscate both events into some sort of larger altercation from which the AA employee was equally ill-treated. Bullshit. The fact is that the passenger's last outburst was nothing but a RE-action to the AA employee's hostile attitude.

The Union didn't urge anyone to "use caution and skepticism".  Those were the words of the author of the article.  Also, what is the actual evidence you speak of?  The video only shows the flight attendant having words with the man who threatened him, and nothing else.  The Union's statement seems pretty unbiased and accurate if you ask me.  It seems the author for the Washington Examiner is trying to sensationalize things, and you took the bait. 

Here's the Union's actual statement:

"The goal of our 26,000 members is to make every flight safe and secure for our passengers and crew.  All passengers deserve to be treated with respect. We also must assure that our Flight Attendants are treated respectfully and safely on board.

Our dedicated Flight Attendants at American strive every day to make the passenger experience the best in the industry. However this has become more challenging due to tight schedules, overcrowded planes, shrinking seats, and limited overhead bin space. All of these factors are related to corporate decisions beyond the control of passengers and Flight Attendants

There are really two stories here related to this incident aboard a San Francisco to Dallas flight. One, we don’t know all of the facts related to a passenger who became distraught while boarding a plane and therefore neither the company nor the public should rush to judgment.

Second, it appears another passenger may have threatened a Flight Attendant with violence, which is a violation of federal law and no small matter. Air rage has become a serious issue on our flights.

We must obtain the full facts surrounding these incidents. Our passengers and the Flight Attendants deserve nothing less."

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2017, 03:17:08 PM »
Second, it appears another passenger may have threatened a Flight Attendant with violence, which is a violation of federal law and no small matter. Air rage has become a serious issue on our flights.

Really - I think the guy said "You do that do me, and I will knock you flat".   Which means to anyone, if you try to hit me like you hit that lady, I will hit you back.  Is that a threat?  Only if the guy hits him like he did the lady.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2017, 04:24:02 AM »
Unions arent the reason why things cost so much. They are the reason companies offer fair and reasonable pay. Factors like profit and going rates determine price.

Unions also dont have free reign to dictate what companies can and cant do. They negotiate labor prices and are designed to "protect" employees. If an employee is a "bum" they wont last long, neither the company nor the union want these type of employees or members.

People are able to milk the system, but thats also a two way street, as weve seen strong union companies abuse reources while claiming bankruptcy.

Unions are a business and they exsist because there is a need for them. Theyre no where near as powerful as they once were but in many cases they are a needed organization.

This is about as close to the truth as anyone has come to. I am a union worker and I don't see any lazy guys hanging around collecting fat checks.

If a person isn't pulling their weight they are usually  first to get the boot. I couldn't imagine the wage and conditions we would work under without some union protection and benefits. We would be treated like garbage and left with zero pension at the end of it all.

Conker

• Getbig IV
  • looks like you went for the overcooked potato look
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2017, 04:43:31 AM »
  However this has become more challenging due to tight schedules, overcrowded planes, shrinking seats, and limited overhead bin space.

haven't seen anything about this case but one thing that is certain is flying has become a lot more stressful since airlines starting charging to check baggage in the hold. these planes were not designed for people to bring the bulk of their luggage into the cabin with them.

Twaddle

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2017, 05:19:19 AM »
  However this has become more challenging due to tight schedules, overcrowded planes, shrinking seats, and limited overhead bin space.

haven't seen anything about this case but one thing that is certain is flying has become a lot more stressful since airlines starting charging to check baggage in the hold. these planes were not designed for people to bring the bulk of their luggage into the cabin with them.

Truth!

People need to stop traveling with so much shit.  It's tiring to watch people boarding the plane with enough shit to fill the bed of a truck. 

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2017, 05:24:53 AM »

and that's why u should not attempt to do it

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2017, 05:25:50 AM »
Truth!

People need to stop traveling with so much shit.  It's tiring to watch people boarding the plane with enough shit to fill the bed of a truck. 
beat me to it

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2017, 05:29:30 AM »
And those of you assuming the lady got hit because some passngers said she did.  ::)
Not saying she did, not saying she didn't but if she did what it grazed her?

Hell im still on the side of security dragging that stupid doctor off the plane. Being dragged out like he can't walk being dragged to his death to the electric chair hahahaha!!!!!

What a country of whiney crybabies we have become!

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2017, 05:32:04 AM »
Hey coach. I agree with the missed work stuff. But it's not just union. In all my years I haven't seen the abuse of time off as much as the last few years. FMLA. Some truly need it but a lot of it is abused. Those rules need modified by trump.

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2023, 12:37:45 AM »
This Could Be The Biggest Strike In U.S. History

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2023, 12:56:18 AM »
I don't like unions at all.  I think workplaces should be competition based with the best employees rising to the top.  Union jobs are basically where the modern day slaves fall in line and do just enough to not get fired.
I totally agree. Unions are great for people who don't try.

honest

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2023, 01:27:41 AM »
Unions are the reason industries left for China and they are the main reason they are not coming back, they are also at the core issue of the decline of western civilisation standards, im talking about productivity decline which along with high labour costs have killed the industrial west. China and the BRICS nations will continue to rise while the west sabotages itself both morally and economically over this century. The west has lost its way. 

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2023, 03:10:37 AM »
Q

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2023, 03:45:19 AM »
Unions are the reason industries left for China and they are the main reason they are not coming back, they are also at the core issue of the decline of western civilisation standards, im talking about productivity decline which along with high labour costs have killed the industrial west. China and the BRICS nations will continue to rise while the west sabotages itself both morally and economically over this century. The west has lost its way.

Incorrect.  Free trade agreements are why industry & manufacturing was outsourced to other countries.  If our politicians wanted those jobs to stay here, they wouldn’t have passed free trade agreements like NAFTA.  But our legislators are bought and paid for by big business, and their legislation reflects that.

I think it’s good when Americans have jobs that pay good wages and offer strong benefits and protections.  I love to see my neighbors and fellow citizens doing well, and I don’t like to see them get exploited by multi billion dollar corporations.  Unions are the only way “the little guy” can assert themselves against their employers.