Author Topic: Ex-officer Michael Slager pleads guilty in shooting death of Walter Scott  (Read 695 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Good.  Glad he is accepting responsibility.  He should spend the rest of his life in prison.

Ex-officer Michael Slager pleads guilty in shooting death of Walter Scott
By Holly Yan, Khushbu Shah and Emanuella Grinberg, CNN
Tue May 2, 2017

(CNN) — In a plea deal with prosecutors, former South Carolina police officer Michael Slager admitted to using excessive force in the 2015 shooting death of Walter Scott.

Slager shot Scott in the back as the unarmed man was running away from Slager after a traffic stop. In a reversal from his previous account, Slager admitted in court Tuesday that he did not shoot Scott in self-defense and said that his use of force was unreasonable.

Scott's death sparked renewed "Black Lives Matter" protests after the 50-year-old became the latest in a series of unarmed black men killed by police.

With his family and Scott's family present, Slager pleaded guilty Tuesday in US District Court in Charleston to a federal charge of deprivation of rights under the color of law. In exchange for the plea, state murder charges, as well as two other federal charges, will be dismissed.

The civil rights offense has a maximum penalty of life in prison. The plea agreement states that the government will ask the court to apply sentencing guidelines for second degree murder, which carries up to 25 years in prison. He was taken into custody after the hearing and will remain there until sentencing later this year.

Scott's mother said the sentence mattered little to her now that Slager had admitted responsibility.

"What made me feel good about it is that Michael Slager admitted what he did. That was enough years for me," she said in response to the question how much time she wanted Slager to serve.

"No matter how many years Michael Slager gets, it would not bring back my son," she said. "This is a victory for Walter. This is justice for the family, but this is just the beginning."

The plea marks one of the first resolutions of a high-profile police shooting under new Attorney General Jeff Sessions. He has ordered a review of police reform activities of the previous administration -- many of which were launched in response to police-involved shootings.

"The Department of Justice will hold accountable any law enforcement officer who violates the civil rights of our citizens by using excessive force," Sessions said in a statement Tuesday. "Such failures of duty not only harm the individual victims of these crimes; they harm our country, by eroding trust in law enforcement and undermining the good work of the vast majority of honorable and honest police officers.

Slager was an officer for the North Charleston Police Department when he pulled Scott over for a broken tail light. A few moments later, Scott ran away.

A foot chase ensued, and a bystander's cell phone video captured Slager firing eight times -- striking Scott five times in the back.

Slager initially said he feared for his life because Scott had grabbed his Taser -- but the plea agreement contains no such claim.

Slager's first attempt to use his Taser did not stop Scott. The second deployment dropped Scott to the ground but he got up and took off running again. As he was fleeing, Slager shot him.

"We hope that Michael's acceptance of responsibility will help the Scott family as they continue to grieve their loss," Slager's attorney, Andy Savage, said.

Lawyers for Scott's relatives said they accepted the plea deal.

"What these government officials did is they told Walter Scott and they told the Scott family, 'You matter.' And that is what we need to see all across the country, not just when there is a video," Justin Bamberg said.

Attorney Chris Stewart said the plea represented a rare show of accountability compared to other police-involved deaths that did not end in pleas or convictions.

"Today is rare. The Garners. The Blands. The Rice family. They didn't get this type of justice that we got today," said Stewart, who represents the family of Alton Sterling, who was shot by police in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

"So it is a phenomenal day. And hopefully this will be the blueprint of future success for civil rights because it's got to change."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/02/us/michael-slager-federal-plea/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Re: Ex-officer Michael Slager pleads guilty in shooting death of Walter Scott
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 12:05:49 PM »
Ex-South Carolina cop Michael Slager gets 20 years for Walter Scott killing
By Meridith Edwards and Dakin Andone, CNN
December 7, 2017

Charleston, South Carolina (CNN)Michael Slager, the former South Carolina police officer who killed unarmed black man Walter Scott, was sentenced Thursday to 20 years in federal prison.

US District Court Judge David Norton made his decision after hearing emotional victim impact statements from Scott's relatives. Norton earlier Thursday had said the "appropriate underlying offense" for Slager, who is white, was second-degree murder and suggested a sentence of 19 to 24 years in prison.

Slager pleaded guilty in May to violation of civil rights by acting under the color of law in Scott's 2015 killing. Slager's 2016 state murder trial ended in a mistrial.

Life sentence sought

Federal prosecutors sought a life sentence for Slager, arguing he had committed second-degree murder and also should be punished for obstructing justice by providing the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division with false statements.

Slager shot Scott five times in the back "for running away, simply for having a broken taillight," Jared Fishman of the Justice Department's Civil Rights Division told the court in his closing statement this week.

It's "time to call it what it was -- a murder," Fishman said, specifying second-degree murder.

But defense attorney Andy Savage argued that while Slager's actions were criminal, they did not amount to murder. The appropriate offense was voluntary manslaughter, Slager's attorneys said.

A probation officer had recommended Slager be sentenced to 10 to 13 years in prison.

Norton recognized Thursday that neither the Scott family nor the Slager family likely would be pleased with his punishment, adding that sentencing is the hardest facet of his more than 27 years on the bench.

Slager has 14 days to appeal.

'Our family will never be the same'

Before the sentence was announced, Scott's mother broke down in tears as she addressed the court.

"If you met him, you would like him," Judy Scott said of her son. "I didn't know anyone who didn't like him."

Speaking to Slager, Scott also said she forgave the former officer, a sentiment echoed by Walter Scott's brother, Anthony Scott.

"I miss my brother, and our family will never be the same," he said. "Until I got the help I needed, it helped me to release the pain of losing my brother. God gave forgiveness in my heart for Officer Slager."

"I'm not angry at you, Michael," he added. "I forgive you, and Michael, I pray for you now."

Scott's son had addressed the court a day earlier to accommodate his high school schedule.

"Your honor, I miss my dad so much I can't sleep at night," Miles Scott, clutching a framed picture of his father, told the judge Wednesday. "As I get older, my dad will never see me or his future grandkids. I never thought I would lose him at a young age, and I still can't believe he is gone."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/07/us/michael-slager-sentencing/index.html

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 04:51:44 PM »
Dude should've probably got a longer sentence. When can he get parole?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 05:47:18 PM »
Dude should've probably got a longer sentence. When can he get parole?

I don't think they get parole with the feds?  They have "truth in sentencing," so he should do pretty close to 20 years unless he appeals and wins.