Author Topic: James Comey  (Read 1251 times)

Nick Danger

• Getbig V
James Comey
« on: May 03, 2017, 09:56:03 AM »
Whether you agree with the FBI's recent findings or not, James Comey is one bright and articulate dude.

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
Re: James Comey
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 10:14:46 AM »
Whether you agree with the FBI's recent findings or not, James Comey is one bright and articulate dude.

a

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 10:17:24 AM »

No doubt. "Mr. Comey 7x6=42 that being said we have 42 mins if you would like to take a break or we can go on (paraphrasing)" Comey - "I'm made of stone"

Nick Danger

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 10:36:46 AM »

Haha it wasn't meant that way, just an observation.

Another observation...there should be an age limit for senators.

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 10:41:47 AM »
Comey says it's legal for Huma to forward (and store) classified info from Hillary's email to Anthony Weiner's laptop because she was unaware that it was a crime...

Don't all individuals who handle classified material have to sign waivers and shit?!

Laws are for poor people.

a

Nick Danger

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 10:47:39 AM »
Comey says it's legal for Huma to forward (and store) classified info from Hillary's email to Anthony Weiner's laptop because she was unaware that it was a crime...

Don't all individuals who handle classified material have to sign waivers and shit?!

There's a difference between believing or even knowing someone committed a crime and being able to prove it.

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 02:20:11 PM »
There's a difference between believing or even knowing someone committed a crime and being able to prove it.

::)

a

Nick Danger

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 02:32:59 PM »
::)

He says they couldn't prove any criminal intent.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 02:41:52 PM »

Anyone who handles classified material is supposed to have the appropriate security clearance.  I doubt Huma or her husband had it.  But I wouldn't blame them for simply being a recipient.  Hillary is the one who broke the law.

Laws are definitely for poor people.   :-\

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 02:42:15 PM »

He didn't have to prove intent. 

Nick Danger

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 03:27:33 PM »
He didn't have to prove intent. 

Considering he's  Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation and a lawyer, I'd bet he knows a little more than a getbig moderator.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2017, 04:04:00 PM »
Considering he's  Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation and a lawyer, I'd bet he knows a little more than a getbig moderator.

If you could think independently, you might have a different opinion. 

FBI Rewrites Federal Law to Let Hillary Off the Hook
by Andrew C. McCarthy
July 5, 2016

There is no way of getting around this: According to Director James Comey (disclosure: a former colleague and longtime friend of mine), Hillary Clinton checked every box required for a felony violation of Section 793(f) of the federal penal code (Title 18): With lawful access to highly classified information she acted with gross negligence in removing and causing it to be removed it from its proper place of custody, and she transmitted it and caused it to be transmitted to others not authorized to have it, in patent violation of her trust. Director Comey even conceded that former Secretary Clinton was “extremely careless” and strongly suggested that her recklessness very likely led to communications (her own and those she corresponded with) being intercepted by foreign intelligence services.

Yet, Director Comey recommended against prosecution of the law violations he clearly found on the ground that there was no intent to harm the United States

In essence, in order to give Mrs. Clinton a pass, the FBI rewrote the statute, inserting an intent element that Congress did not require. The added intent element, moreover, makes no sense: The point of having a statute that criminalizes gross negligence is to underscore that government officials have a special obligation to safeguard national defense secrets; when they fail to carry out that obligation due to gross negligence, they are guilty of serious wrongdoing. The lack of intent to harm our country is irrelevant. People never intend the bad things that happen due to gross negligence.

I would point out, moreover, that there are other statutes that criminalize unlawfully removing and transmitting highly classified information with intent to harm the United States. Being not guilty (and, indeed, not even accused) of Offense B does not absolve a person of guilt on Offense A, which she has committed.

It is a common tactic of defense lawyers in criminal trials to set up a straw-man for the jury: a crime the defendant has not committed. The idea is that by knocking down a crime the prosecution does not allege and cannot prove, the defense may confuse the jury into believing the defendant is not guilty of the crime charged. Judges generally do not allow such sleight-of-hand because innocence on an uncharged crime is irrelevant to the consideration of the crimes that actually have been charged.

It seems to me that this is what the FBI has done today. It has told the public that because Mrs. Clinton did not have intent to harm the United States we should not prosecute her on a felony that does not require proof of intent to harm the United States. Meanwhile, although there may have been profound harm to national security caused by her grossly negligent mishandling of classified information, we’ve decided she shouldn’t be prosecuted for grossly negligent mishandling of classified information.

I think highly of Jim Comey personally and professionally, but this makes no sense to me.

Finally, I was especially unpersuaded by Director Comey’s claim that no reasonable prosecutor would bring a case based on the evidence uncovered by the FBI. To my mind, a reasonable prosecutor would ask: Why did Congress criminalize the mishandling of classified information through gross negligence? The answer, obviously, is to prevent harm to national security. So then the reasonable prosecutor asks: Was the statute clearly violated, and if yes, is it likely that Mrs. Clinton’s conduct caused harm to national security? If those two questions are answered in the affirmative, I believe many, if not most, reasonable prosecutors would feel obliged to bring the case.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/437479/

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2017, 05:11:43 PM »

That's not for investigators to prove though... That's that's for the Justice system.

Even to this day, more info is slowly leaking out.
a

Nick Danger

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2017, 05:20:32 PM »
If you could think independently, you might have a different opinion. 

FBI Rewrites Federal Law to Let Hillary Off the Hook
by Andrew C. McCarthy
July 5, 2016

There is no way of getting around this: According to Director James Comey (disclosure: a former colleague and longtime friend of mine), Hillary Clinton checked every box required for a felony violation of Section 793(f) of the federal penal code (Title 18): With lawful access to highly classified information she acted with gross negligence in removing and causing it to be removed it from its proper place of custody, and she transmitted it and caused it to be transmitted to others not authorized to have it, in patent violation of her trust. Director Comey even conceded that former Secretary Clinton was “extremely careless” and strongly suggested that her recklessness very likely led to communications (her own and those she corresponded with) being intercepted by foreign intelligence services.

Yet, Director Comey recommended against prosecution of the law violations he clearly found on the ground that there was no intent to harm the United States

In essence, in order to give Mrs. Clinton a pass, the FBI rewrote the statute, inserting an intent element that Congress did not require. The added intent element, moreover, makes no sense: The point of having a statute that criminalizes gross negligence is to underscore that government officials have a special obligation to safeguard national defense secrets; when they fail to carry out that obligation due to gross negligence, they are guilty of serious wrongdoing. The lack of intent to harm our country is irrelevant. People never intend the bad things that happen due to gross negligence.

I would point out, moreover, that there are other statutes that criminalize unlawfully removing and transmitting highly classified information with intent to harm the United States. Being not guilty (and, indeed, not even accused) of Offense B does not absolve a person of guilt on Offense A, which she has committed.

It is a common tactic of defense lawyers in criminal trials to set up a straw-man for the jury: a crime the defendant has not committed. The idea is that by knocking down a crime the prosecution does not allege and cannot prove, the defense may confuse the jury into believing the defendant is not guilty of the crime charged. Judges generally do not allow such sleight-of-hand because innocence on an uncharged crime is irrelevant to the consideration of the crimes that actually have been charged.

It seems to me that this is what the FBI has done today. It has told the public that because Mrs. Clinton did not have intent to harm the United States we should not prosecute her on a felony that does not require proof of intent to harm the United States. Meanwhile, although there may have been profound harm to national security caused by her grossly negligent mishandling of classified information, we’ve decided she shouldn’t be prosecuted for grossly negligent mishandling of classified information.

I think highly of Jim Comey personally and professionally, but this makes no sense to me.

Finally, I was especially unpersuaded by Director Comey’s claim that no reasonable prosecutor would bring a case based on the evidence uncovered by the FBI. To my mind, a reasonable prosecutor would ask: Why did Congress criminalize the mishandling of classified information through gross negligence? The answer, obviously, is to prevent harm to national security. So then the reasonable prosecutor asks: Was the statute clearly violated, and if yes, is it likely that Mrs. Clinton’s conduct caused harm to national security? If those two questions are answered in the affirmative, I believe many, if not most, reasonable prosecutors would feel obliged to bring the case.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/437479/

Thanks for the article but the video was referring to Anthony Weiner and his wife.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2017, 05:22:29 PM »
Thanks for the article but the video was referring to Anthony Weiner and his wife.

What video?  You said Comey didn't have to prove Hillary intended to break the law. 

Nick Danger

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2017, 05:28:04 PM »
What video?  You said Comey didn't have to prove Hillary intended to break the law. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2017, 05:32:06 PM »

Looks like we had a failure to communicate.  I thought you were talking about Hillary.  My bad.  (Unless you also think he  had to prove intent with Hillary.) 

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2017, 05:34:30 PM »
Yes, laws are for poor people, not super wealthy elite Democrats.

Nick Danger

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2017, 05:36:46 PM »
Looks like we had a failure to communicate.  I thought you were talking about Hillary.  My bad.  (Unless you also think he  had to prove intent with Hillary.)  

Actually my only point was that I find Comey very bright and articulate.
He explains things so that even a layman like myself can understand.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2017, 05:40:25 PM »
Actually my only point was that I find Comey very bright and articulate.
He explains things so that even a layman like myself can understand.

I agree.

HockeyFightFan

• Getbig V
  • Getgay is Beneath Me
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2017, 06:03:26 PM »

Incorrect, ignorance is no defense of the law.