Author Topic: Franco Columbu-High Volume training vs Mike Mentzer-Low Volume training styles  (Read 4287 times)

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
Why not do low volume everyday?

To do this, you’d have to train at a very low intensity level so that you’re recovered for the next day. You leave some gains on the table as you never hit the muscles hard. That said, if you did a set of 30 bodyweight squats everyday you’d probably have decent legs.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
To do this, you’d have to train at a very low intensity level so that you’re recovered for the next day. You leave some gains on the table as you never hit the muscles hard. That said, if you did a set of 30 bodyweight squats everyday you’d probably have decent legs.
If you do 1 set per exercise and train to fatigue but not failure you will have no problem with recovery.

Rmj11

• Getbig IV

Newsflashh..mike never actualy followed the rubbish he talked about..

He was seen once doing a chest work out by a quite well known journo from MM.

He was seen to do 4 exercises for his chest.

Example.
Bench press.set 1 10 -12 reps
                 set 2 8-10 reps
                 set 3 6-8 reps
                 set 4 4-6 reps with 2 forced and a negative rep.

All sets to failure.

He did this on all 4 exercises..

After his work out the journo approached him and asked if he had given up on HD training and had gone back to traditional bodybuilding pyramid training..
Mike said: Rubbish ,that was HD at its best , it's only the last set that counted as the proceeding sets were warm ups and he was adament he had only done 4 sets total..

Even though he worked hard on all work up sets.
The journo was astonished as he had just seen mentzer do 16 work sets but mentzer claimed to have only done 4.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
Newsflashh..mike never actualy followed the rubbish he talked about..

He was seen once doing a chest work out by a quite well known journo from MM.

He was seen to do 4 exercises for his chest.

Example.
Bench press.set 1 10 -12 reps
                 set 2 8-10 reps
                 set 3 6-8 reps
                 set 4 4-6 reps with 2 forced and a negative rep.

All sets to failure.

He did this on all 4 exercises..

After his work out the journo approached him and asked if he had given up on HD training and had gone back to traditional bodybuilding pyramid training..
Mike said: Rubbish ,that was HD at its best , it's only the last set that counted as the proceeding sets were warm ups and he was adament he had only done 4 sets total..

Even though he worked hard on all work up sets.
The journo was astonished as he had just seen mentzer do 16 work sets but mentzer claimed to have only done 4.
I'm surprised he even worked out at all during the MM 1990's.

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
  • Royalty is a schmoe-cel.

Apparently Mentzer would/could get into dhape periodically for whatever reason. That Larry Pollock said he was training with Mentzer in the late 80's and said Mike grew like a weed and got back into decent shape in a short amount of time.

I know tge number of sers Mentzer did was questionable.  Doing 3 warm up sets then a set to failure and only counting the last set but he must've been somewhat honest about his training frequency. Even in his competitive days he claimed he was only in the gym 3 hrs a week maybe even less.

Rmj11

• Getbig IV

This was in the 80's.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
This was in the 80's.
Ahhh, I was thinking MM2K the magazine.