Author Topic: Training for decades,are you still re-inventing the wheel in the gym?  (Read 21227 times)

tres_taco_combo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Yes, motivation is paramount. Why? Because you have to keep doing something extraordinary to keep the muscles growing. Sooner, rather than later, it becomes brutally hard to sustain.

Therefore most people end up in the intermediate level on plateaus and then have no idea what to do. Try drugs? If that fails they assume they don't have the genetics.

i am far from the motivation soap box stuff, but most gym going types just dont train hard or eat clean enough.  i think most ppl just jump to program to program all the time.

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
  • World Record Holder in French Toast Diving
i am far from the motivation soap box stuff, but most gym going types just dont train hard or eat clean enough.  i think most ppl just jump to program to program all the time.

Goal-less is soul-less.  You need a real goal that matters to you to work towards.  Otherwise you are just treading water.

tres_taco_combo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Goal-less is soul-less.  You need a real goal that matters to you to work towards.  Otherwise you are just treading water.

agreed totally.

need a goal and have something where failure sucks

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
agreed totally.

need a goal and have something where failure sucks

Like training to show 'em on Getbig!

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
If you know the correct theory of hypertrophy you will know what NOT to do. Knowing what to do re exercises, etc., is the application of theory and where most people get lost.

People get confused because there are so many factors involved in body movements with resistance. Nutrition is also involved with growth.

If you do not grow rapidly then what feedback do you have to indicate that growth is occurring? How do you measure the effectiveness of protocols?

I have written prescriptions in my other thread but few appreciate what I have posted.

The reason why few appreciate what you have written is because you have never proven or demonstrated that your theories on hypertrophy are valid. You have trained no one, including yourself, that have proven and demonstrated the effectiveness of your "prescriptions". There are many real world examples where people who have train using volume or HIT have built incredible physiques. There is no one that is currently known to have achieved anything using the DOMS principle. Not a single example. Even your own attempts using yourself as a test subject has failed.
A peer reviewed study in a scientific journal has shown that while in DOMS you are losing both muscle and strength. A study you blithely reject because you feel it is wanting while never once providing anything close that can refute it.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
Just do regular tri pushdowns. Why would you want your fingers supporting/pulling the weight instead of your palms pushing down?
Works better that way for me because of my arm length and at the point where my tricep contracts.  The other way I get less Tris involved, basically a shoulder exercise with a little Tri at the end.

tres_taco_combo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Like training to show 'em on Getbig!

if it works, it works.  8)

#getbigfamous

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
Works better that way for me because of my arm length and at the point where my tricep contracts.  The other way I get less Tris involved, basically a shoulder exercise with a little Tri at the end.

Buy an old Nautilus Triceps machine and convert it. Should work your triceps better than what you are doing. Pressdowns don't work for me after a certain arm size.

You remove the back rest and use it for your knee rest. Easy modification. Then shift the arm rest back 2 inches towards the user so that elbows don't contact the pads.

This exercise allows the user to do a karate chop position and avoid too much pronation under heavy loads that can damage connective tissue in the forearms. You can position the machine

so that your extended leg rests up against some solid object. You don't need to make a special foot rest like in the photo.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
Buy an old Nautilus Triceps machine and convert it. Should work your triceps better than what you are doing. Pressdowns don't work for me after a certain arm size.

You remove the back rest and use it for your knee rest. Easy modification. Then shift the arm rest back 2 inches towards the user so that elbows don't contact the pads.

This exercise allows the user to do a karate chop position and avoid too much pronation under heavy loads that can damage connective tissue in the forearms. You can position the machine

so that your extended leg rests up against some solid object. You don't need to make a special foot rest like in the photo.

So after all the posts posturing how your an expert on hypertrophy, this is the shitty advice you give?...

You arms are fat by the way, that's why you dont feel anything in other movements

Powerlift66

• Getbig V

So after all the posts posturing how your an expert on hypertrophy, this is the shitty advice you give?...

You arms are fat by the way, that's why you dont feel anything in other movements

:D

Surfboard 1717

;D
 ;D
 ;D

BBSSchlemiel

• Getbig IV
I am  :-\  Been lifting for at least 20 years and still coming up with new routines, theories every couple of months. Part of me feels like just consistently working out is all anybody needs, no matter their goals. Still, I can't get past the idea of finding some new, improved magical combination of exercises>

If one has been training for decades properly and drug free there are no more significant muscular gains to be made. So after that, it's a matter of maintaining or desperately trying to gain grams of muscle.

Strength is a different story.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
If one has been training for decades properly and drug free there are no more significant muscular gains to be made. So after that, it's a matter of maintaining or desperately trying to gain grams of muscle.

Strength is a different story.

Why can an older person get stronger but cause little or no hypertrophy?

My argument is that hypertrophy can and must be the result of effective training for older men.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.

My argument is that hypertrophy can and must be the result of effective training for older men.

It's extremely hard because the training requirements for that to occur present high risk of injury

BBSSchlemiel

• Getbig IV

Can you provide an example of a drug free man who has made significant muscular gains after the first decade of proper bodybuilding training?

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
i have a different theory why the above average gym type never makes gains.... my 2 cents

most regular gym bros have nothing to train for. no accountability,

they just show up and do some shit in the gym over and over. and kind of sort of  eat "sorta" healthy cuz it is just "good enough"  you dont have to compete, or do schmoe photo shoots but something that is a challenge with some hard nose goals where failure kinda sucks.

it is pretty fucking simple actually. train hard/eat right and dont lie to yourself. 

this hobby and sport sucks if you half ass it... ive seen both sides of the coin
good post.

Henda

• Getbig V

This is the biggest heap of shit I've ever heard in my fucking life.

Let's track down a used nautilus tri ext and hack the fucker to bits, creating a ridiculous looking pile of scrap that takes up half your typical home gym just to do some fancy tri extensions.

Senile fat old fool

OLKE_TEXAS

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy Muscle Radio
This is the biggest heap of shit I've ever heard in my fucking life.

Let's track down a used nautilus tri ext and hack the fucker to bits, creating a ridiculous looking pile of scrap that takes up half your typical home gym just to do some fancy tri extensions.

Senile fat old fool

You know you are not talking to vince basile right. This is a hacked account. Hacked by josh.
O

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!

You arms are fat by the way,

No, you are mistaken. My arms are solid. Photos taken in recent years were after being pumped. I have always had cuts in my biceps.

My flexed forearms are hard like steel.

SGT BARNES

• Getbig IV
  • crush your enemies, see them driven before you
asshat basile.  people end up on a "plateau" because thats the max for a natural body. period.    BB body requires drugs. Always has.

Stop talking like you are some kind of guru. you were never a real BB and never managed anything past a swimmers build and then fat old man. You are a non-entity.

TheGrinch

• Getbig V
just lift heavy stuff up then put it down, then lift it up again then put it down. do this for each body part.

HTH

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
asshat basile.  people end up on a "plateau" because thats the max for a natural body. period.    BB body requires drugs. Always has.

Stop talking like you are some kind of guru. you were never a real BB and never managed anything past a swimmers build and then fat old man. You are a non-entity.

Lol, at the non-entities judging people who actually have something different to say.

If they knew more about hypertrophy and how to apply that knowledge effectively they would grow some more.

All we see here are excuses for those who can't keep growing.

Julio Ceasar

• Getbig V
I am  :-\  Been lifting for at least 20 years and still coming up with new routines, theories every couple of months. Part of me feels like just consistently working out is all anybody needs, no matter their goals. Still, I can't get past the idea of finding some new, improved magical combination of exercises>

Been craning everyday for 24 years now. Looking my best ever. Lean cardiovaskular hard and almost strong for my weight/shape/natty status.

If your up for new things please try this: Increase arm training volume slowly ...do them fucking arms 2hours/dag 5 dags per week and Ill guarantee your arms will be the best ever. Every muscle I up the volume is getting better every moth. The more I train the less sore I get.

Training volume is the shit for further progress. Want a better back, take photos and learn what excersice hit different parts of the back and then do the shit 1-2 hours everyday. Soon u will not feel your muscles anymore, they just do what u tell them to do without any protest.

When your up for 10-15 hours/week for one muscle I think your near the limit for your natural potential.

I just did 50 set of back yesterday, docent feel jack shit today. That once a week kill your muscles is just plain stupid shit make u sore without progress. Cant believe how many people still do this shit in the gym.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
Been craning everyday for 24 years now. Looking my best ever. Lean cardiovaskular hard and almost strong for my weight/shape/natty status.

If your up for new things please try this: Increase arm training volume slowly ...do them fucking arms 2hours/dag 5 dags per week and Ill guarantee your arms will be the best ever. Every muscle I up the volume is getting better every moth. The more I train the less sore I get.

Training volume is the shit for further progress. Want a better back, take photos and learn what excersice hit different parts of the back and then do the shit 1-2 hours everyday. Soon u will not feel your muscles anymore, they just do what u tell them to do without any protest.

When your up for 10-15 hours/week for one muscle I think your near the limit for your natural potential.

I just did 50 set of back yesterday, docent feel jack shit today. That once a week kill your muscles is just plain stupid shit make u sore without progress. Cant believe how many people still do this shit in the gym.

There's next to no additional growth after your 1st few years if you are training hard, only growth from there is drug gains which will run out and have be took to death stack levels to carry on growing

There's no disputing this, everything else is delusion and fairy tales ...