Author Topic: SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIORS CHANGING THE MEANING OF LANGUAGE!!  (Read 1608 times)

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
I was listening to a discussion between 3 NYU Law Professors, an NYU Law Student (who happens to be an SJW), and a Social Psychologist, Jonathan Haidt--get his book (Why Good People are Divided by Politics and Religion). Basically, the talk was about 75 minutes and included the student advocating for content and trigger warnings in the classroom. Jonathan Haidt vehemently opposed this and the three professors were pretty much in agreement with Haidt.

Haidt mentioned something called "CONCEPT CREEK," which is a psychological term developed by Nick Haslam, a social/clinical psychologist out of Australia. The idea behind "Concept Creek" is that certain terms such as Abuse, Trauma, Bullying, etc, have taken on semantic shifts and now capture a broader range of experiences which may not be justified. For example, a war veteran sees his friends get blown up and killed--he has had a traumatic experience. Now, college kids are saying they are traumatized because of hurt feelings; obviously, the term trauma is now being induced to capture the most minute of experiences. According to Naslam, "The expansion primarily reflects an ever increasing sensitivity to harm, reflecting a liberal moral agenda."

I know Getbig has some of the brightest, upcoming minds, so I wanted to share this piece of knowledge.

Concept Creep: Psychology’s Expanding Concepts of Harm and Pathology

Nick Haslam

Melbourne School of Psychological Sciences, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Australia

Abstract

Many of psychology’s concepts have undergone semantic shifts in recent years. These conceptual changes follow a consistent trend. Concepts that refer to the
negative aspects of human experience and behavior have expanded their meanings so that they now encompass a much broader range of phenomena than before. This expansion takes “horizontal” and “vertical” forms: concepts extend outward to capture qualitatively new phenomena and downward to capture quantitatively less extreme phenomena. The concepts of abuse, bullying, trauma, mental disorder, addiction, and prejudice are examined to illustrate these historical changes. In each case, the concept’s boundary has stretched and its meaning has dilated. A variety of explanations for this pattern of “concept creep” are considered and its implications are explored. I contend that the expansion primarily reflects an ever increasing sensitivity to harm, reflecting a liberal moral agenda. Its implications are ambivalent, however. Although conceptual change is inevitable and often well motivated, concept creep runs the risk of pathologizing everyday experience and encouraging a sense of virtuous but impotent victimhood.
X

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
Re: THE IMPACT OF LANGUAGE AND EXPERIENCE!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 07:28:35 AM »
not gonna read all that

too much language

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
Re: THE IMPACT OF LANGUAGE AND EXPERIENCE!!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 07:38:35 AM »
not gonna read all that

too much language

;D ;D ;D
X

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
Re: SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIORS CHANGING THE MEANING OF LANGUAGE!!
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 07:39:43 AM »
Rather than read it, I will just wait for Khan to post and agree with that assessment.
Y

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 07:41:09 AM »
Rather than read it, I will just wait for Khan to post and agree with that assessment.

or kwon

Top Poodle

• Getbig IV
  • No trannies allowed.
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 07:43:15 AM »
everybody and everything is called racist these days.

to me, true racism is like, outright, irrational hatred of all the people of another race, to the extent where you want to see them herded up and executed by firing squad.

meaning has been diluted to the point where it's now absolutely empty. 

hell, if i'm called racist i wear it as a badge of honor. 

it means i've got common sense, integrity, rationality, and pride.

(basically don't worry about what SJW think, they're only virtue signaling to the rest of their little perverted group, and repelling everybody else)

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 07:43:29 AM »
or kwon

Kwon's response will likely be visual, so will not view.
Y

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 07:44:08 AM »
everybody and everything is called racist these days.

to me, true racism is like, outright, irrational hatred of all the people of another race, to the extent where you want to see them herded up and executed by firing squad.

meaning has been diluted to the point where it's now absolutely empty. 

hell, if i'm called racist i wear it as a badge of honor. 

it means i've got common sense, integrity, rationality, and pride.

(basically don't worry about what SJW think, they're only virtue signaling to the rest of their little perverted group, and repelling everybody else)

Yeah, the gist of it is everyone is oversensitive and starting to blow everything out of proportion.
Y

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 07:48:49 AM »
Yeah, the gist of it is everyone is oversensitive and starting to blow everything out of proportion.

Yes but he explains the processes by how and why this is occurring. Plus, it's more than that, as changing the meaning of terns has drastic implications for other fields.
X

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 07:50:28 AM »

it might also mean that language changes regardless - Internet verbal inflation is  frequently demonstrated by the hockey coach telephone crusher

Language does change but this is a very specific political agenda with huge implications.

The fact that everything is a "trauma"  these days is ridiculous.

I think certain terms need to be preserved without being diluted by SJWs!
X

cart@@n

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2017, 07:55:48 AM »
“The fascists of the future will be called anti-fascists”

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2017, 09:25:26 AM »
King Canute sat on his throne as the tide came in around him to show that even he couldnt stop change

Fantastic terrific and liberal (at least in the USA) no longer meant what they set out to

Yes, change is inevitable, and in this case, not for the better!
X

Megalodon

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 11:04:58 AM »
It's not actions or actual intent but what a person or movement claims their intent is, so I am pro-SJW along with pro-communist, despite the 6 million(plus 100 million +)bodycount.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2017, 01:43:48 PM »
It's not actions or actual intent but what a person or movement claims their intent is, so I am pro-SJW along with pro-communist, despite the 6 million(plus 100 million +)bodycount.
Gulag Archipelago.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2017, 02:59:17 PM »
Everybody wants.to be a victim because victims get attention and get pampered, etc...social munchausen syndrome and  by proxy.

This is also a  form. of postmodernism.  These.people just want to see the western system destroyed, simple as that.  Theyll do it by whatever means neccessary, language being one of them.

Accoesing to them, there is no room for dialog because having a dialog means the other side wins. fuck these low life idiots and everything they are attempting to do.

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2017, 03:02:36 PM »
i'm not exactly Jocko Willink in the macho department but when did everyone turn into such a maricone yo

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2017, 03:03:12 PM »
Language does change but this is a very specific political agenda with huge implications.

Exactly! Pretty obvious what's going on.