Author Topic: Vince's Gym - dismantled and sold piece by piece - someone lied  (Read 20243 times)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
 :'(   Vince's gym equipment was sold  after being stored for 20 years to a guy for 4 k under the condition that he"d keep the collection together..  he lied collection was sold piece by piece to collectors on e-bay..
F

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
Re: vince's gym dismantled and sold.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 03:22:44 PM »
Got scared, and thought the Supinator was scrapped -

But it's this Vince -

Not this Vince -

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 03:35:22 PM »
Many pieces were sold to the Museum of Torture Montepulciano

JAGO

• Getbig IV
  • Biden/Harris 2020
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 03:37:38 PM »
Got scared, and thought the Supinator was scrapped -

But it's this Vince -

Not this Vince -

Who built that "supinator" Rube Goldberg?

NelsonMuntz

• Getbig V
  • Getbigs Most Positive Member March&October 2017
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 03:42:55 PM »
If you look on Roz and Vince's real gym website and look below, it looks like they closed down or were closing down on the 24th of this month

http://www.realgym.com.au/
"

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 03:45:09 PM »
Who built that "supinator" Rube Goldberg?

Vince discussing it -

"Here is the first image online of the biceps-supinator. This was invented by myself and built totally by myself in my engineering factory. I tried to sell the design to Nautilus and Cybex but they were not interested. So this machine has cost me over $100,000 to patent and build. Surely it is the most expensive machine ever installed in a gym.

This machine was conceived in 1986, and first conception on paper was in 1991. I obtained patents from the USA, Canada, Great Britain, Germany and Australia. You have to apply to each country. Then you have to pay thousands of dollars per year to maintain those patents.

I wouldn't patent anything in the future! I built the first version in 2001 and then modified it several times since. The last major surgery occurred last year. I am quite pleased with this machine. There are many adjustments and it really is a complex machine with lots of angles needed. It works, though! Lots of stainless steel on the prototype. I will paint it silver soon.

Even Arthur Jones was unable to build this machine. It is undoubtedly the most complicated bodybuilding machine with weight stacks that has ever been installed in a gym. When used properly it can result in an absolutely brutal biceps workouts. You can twist the arms and get a resistance. Each arm can be trained separately, too. The curl plates are 20 pounds and the supination plates are 5 1/2 pounds."

Taken from - http://www.drdarden.com/readTopic.do;jsessionid=108635224262976E945AE33660BD04BF.hydra?id=441355 .

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2017, 04:10:14 PM »
If you look on Roz and Vince's real gym website and look below, it looks like they closed down or were closing down on the 24th of this month

http://www.realgym.com.au/
yep the equipment was auctioned off and doors closed.

24 hour access key tag gyms have killed the mom and pop bodybuilding gyms in Sydney.

Megalodon

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2017, 04:11:52 PM »
The Mentzer bros pre-Stout Burgers and Beer.

HonestBob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2017, 04:21:16 PM »
:'( vince's gym equipment was sold  after being stored for 20 years to a guy for 4 k under the condition that he"d keep the collection together..  he lied collection was sold piece by piece to collectors on e-bay..

I'd have bought some of this stuff if I'd known. It would have found a visible and cherished home in LA.

How do you come across these things, just regular digging on ebay?

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2017, 04:46:31 PM »
It's just used gym gear.  Few know who 'Vince' was, and of those who do only a small percentage care.  I'm amazed they found some sucker who'd give them $4k, thinking he'd turn a profit reselling it.  The time involved in disassembly and removal, the truck to haul it, the space it takes up while you're trying to hawk it.  If it makes you feel any better the reseller probably didn't make enough for it to be worthwhile.  And splitting the 'collection' means more people can own a piece of 'history.'

I don't see the appeal you do in this stuff.  Not every rusty old plate belongs enshrined in a museum.  "But the Blond Bomber once lifted this barbell!"  Srsly who fucking cares.  The past is gone.  Now's the time.

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2017, 04:49:02 PM »
:'( vince's gym equipment was sold  after being stored for 20 years to a guy for 4 k under the condition that he"d keep the collection together..  he lied collection was sold piece by piece to collectors on e-bay..
yeah funk I wish you would let me know I would've bought a piece is it all gone?

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2017, 04:52:04 PM »
I had been defenses twice back in the day he had more stuff than was in that picture.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2017, 04:55:03 PM »
The 15 remaining souls on Earth who care are in this thread.  I suggest you collude before bidding against one another.

Btw, I can lay my hands on one of Franco's hot water bottles (intact), The Chemist's sneakers, and a newspaper that Arnold is rumored to have read while waiting for the dentist.  $450 the lot + S&H.

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2017, 05:10:30 PM »
Many would pay to have Franco's or Lou's esp Arnold's posing panties from the 70's

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2017, 05:20:52 PM »

I wouldn't have even paid 2k for that stuff.  Very old and there's no actual value unless he signed the equipment
A

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2017, 05:27:09 PM »
5.  5 people on this niche website care so far, and one of them was just being polite.  Others are making bicep supinator and underwear jokes.

My original estimate of 15 is looking optimistic.  Come on, Gironda people.  Wave those dollars.  Own a relic.  Sure to appreciate in value.

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2017, 05:36:40 PM »
I display nostalgic weight lifting history items in the gym. I think it's cool.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2017, 05:51:21 PM »
Nothing wrong with it and at least yours are in a gym.  Just not something most people are going to spend money on.

Even after all these years of busting Funk's chops I still can't decide if he's a vendor trying to drum up business or a total hoarder.

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2017, 05:53:58 PM »
Nothing wrong with it and at least yours are in a gym.  Just not something most people are going to spend money on.

Even after all these years of busting Funk's chops I still can't decide if he's a vendor trying to drum up business or a total hoarder.
hoarder😝

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2017, 05:56:07 PM »
Lol.  Seek help Funk.

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2017, 01:38:03 AM »
gold is the best, but gold plated is the next best thing

BSN

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2017, 01:40:13 AM »
I wonder what happened to the original equipment from Gold's Gym.

bigbychoices

• Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2017, 06:22:47 AM »
thats because alot of "people" on here have no clue what bodybuilding and bodybuilding history is. they dont know what it was like back in the day to even have a place to work out much less any info on what to do and eat etc. it was a small group of MEN who built bodybuilding. because they loved it not for the money cuz there wasnt money in it. even today its very tuff to make money from a "gym". gym owners then had a bit of personality. they were there almost all the time. the guys all knew each other etc. vince had some great ideas and some great equipment too. not everything he said done or used was right but he tried. most of his ideas were solid.  he wasnt a welder like joe gold so he had alot of stuff  made out of wood.  yes its sad that his stuff was sold and now cast away like its just junk. same with alot of joe golds equipment. its terrible to see how these guys nowdays just dont give a crap about yesteryear.

Chadwick The Beta

• Getbig V
  • "Stop calling me by my name."
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2017, 07:01:21 AM »

I wouldn't have even paid 2k for that stuff. 

You couldn't have paid 2k even if you had wanted to.

Because you're a broke-ass bitch.
K

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2017, 07:03:00 AM »
Count me as one who cares.

It's weight-training culture, even if I think Vince's methods, largely, are goofy (ha, ha).

But Vince, his gym and his equipment matters.