Author Topic: Coal Miner vs. Solar Worker  (Read 5932 times)

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
Coal Miner vs. Solar Worker
« on: May 29, 2017, 08:55:55 AM »
Good job Trump! Get those coal miners back to work!  I bet they love it down there.

MAGA FUCKERS!

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
Re: Coal Miner vs. Solar Worker
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 09:03:17 AM »
All the ex miners I know loved there job, as an ex ship yard worker I can see why. There's somthing about working amongst real men, every day  is a laugh, you dont get the same characters outside of those industries.

I dont miss the shitty work and the conditions on the other hand..

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 09:05:24 AM »
Trump probably should have checked if mining was actually still a lucrative industry. ??? ???

When President Trump moved on Tuesday to dismantle the Obama administration’s climate change efforts, he promised it would bring coal-mining jobs back to America. But the jobs he alluded to — hardy miners in mazelike tunnels with picks and shovels — have steadily become vestiges of the past.

Pressured by cheap and abundant natural gas, coal is in a precipitous decline, now making up just a third of electricity generation in the United States. Renewables are fast becoming competitive with coal on price. Electricity sales are trending downward, and coal exports are falling.

“I don’t think the Trump presidency will have a material impact on bringing coal miners back to work,” said Ted O’Brien, a coal analyst at Doyle Trading Consultants, a leading energy industry research firm.

“He may eliminate the regulatory overhang,” Mr. O’Brien said, referring to the environmental rules that have cast a shadow over coal, “but I have a hard time seeing a surge in coal demand.”
X

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 09:10:52 AM »
All the ex miners I know loved there job, as an ex ship yard worker I can see why. There's somthing about working amongst real men, every day  is a laugh, you dont get the same characters outside of those industries.

I dont miss the shitty work and the conditions and the increased risk of lung cancer.

Fixed.
X

Skylge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 09:12:17 AM »
Coal is dirty, has a large hidden climate chage price tag, and mine workers around the globe had a much lower than average life expectancy

And price of sun / wind generated energy are dropping seriously fast

Storage costs are also well on the way down (battery parks)

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 09:28:16 AM »
Coal is dirty, has a large hidden climate chage price tag, and mine workers around the globe had a much lower than average life expectancy

When, in the 30's?   ::)

Coal mining is much more safe than it used to be.

And please, knock it off with the climate change bullshit.  The climate has been changing for billions of years.

io

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 09:33:02 AM »
Americans employed:
Solar energy:286,335
Arby’s:79,700
Coal industry:76,572
getbig.com:1

We need to have our priorities in order here.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2017, 10:01:22 AM »
All the ex miners I know loved there job, as an ex ship yard worker I can see why. There's somthing about working amongst real men, every day  is a laugh, you dont get the same characters outside of those industries.

I dont miss the shitty work and the conditions on the other hand..

Sure they did.  Would they pass up the chance to work in the sun all day instead of the shitty hole?  Do they prefer being "real men" drinking a bottle of suds there chief.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2017, 10:18:40 AM »
As far as I remember this ....

I don't know if James "FLEX" Lewis ever told his story on the net, but he was raised in a Great Britain coal mine town (Wales??) in which his whole family worked way down deep.

As a young lad he did not look forward to that life-style so he began raising 'racing pigeons' and did pretty well at that and then got into the business of moving heavy household stuff (pianos, refrigerators, etc.) and did pretty well at that also.

Meanwhile (sometime between the pigeons and the pianos) he lifted heavy things in an effort to build himself up .... And did pretty well at that1

And most of you know the rest of the story.

A man who actually worked hard to get where he's gotten!

PS... I've been in a couple of mines and I have no intent of ever going back. It's too damn dark, dank, deep, and wet!

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2017, 10:19:18 AM »
When, in the 30's?   ::)

Coal mining is much more safe than it used to be.

And please, knock it off with the climate change bullshit.  The climate has been changing for billions of years.

Flush out your head gear, dummy.  Coal mining is only safer because its automated...meaning no coal miners with pick-axes.  That's the whole point of the thread to begin with.  The coal industry is coming to an end.  Its inefficient compared to solar and wind energy which is truly clean energy
A

OLKE_TEXAS

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy Muscle Radio
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2017, 01:45:46 PM »

Tell that to those nuckleheads in zuid limburg. They would love to go back underground.
They still cry over closing the mines eventhough they did not live past 60 y/o.
O

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2017, 02:35:44 PM »
Sure they did.  Would they pass up the chance to work in the sun all day instead of the shitty hole?  Do they prefer being "real men" drinking a bottle of suds there chief.

Not much solar this side of the pond,... Can only say what I've been told, and I know quite a few

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2017, 03:42:26 PM »
Good job Trump! Get those coal miners back to work!  I bet they love it down there.

MAGA FUCKERS!

Where the hell do you think silicon, the raw material for solar cells, comes from? Trees?

Then add in the materials used to create the p/n junction, Phosphorous, Boron, etc.

I used to work on a copper indium diselenide solar cell research project. Tons of raw selenium used- and that's disgusting stuff.

MAGA that, lol

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2017, 04:53:59 PM »

Flush out your head gear, dummy.  Coal mining is only safer because its automated...meaning no coal miners with pick-axes.  That's the whole point of the thread to begin with.  The coal industry is coming to an end.  Its inefficient compared to solar and wind energy which is truly clean energy

No Vince, coal is getting kicked into high gear again, whether you want it to or not.  It's not going away anytime soon.

Solar and wind still needs batteries to store the energy.  Do you know what batteries are made of?... some very toxic stuff.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2017, 05:10:07 PM »
No Vince, coal is getting kicked into high gear again, whether you want it to or not.  It's not going away anytime soon.

Solar and wind still needs batteries to store the energy.  Do you know what batteries are made of?... some very toxic stuff.

Solar doesn't need a battery unless you're storing it but Tesla is building its gigafactory to help with that. You just need a DC-AC converter.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2017, 05:24:40 PM »
Solar doesn't need a battery unless you're storing it but Tesla is building its gigafactory to help with that. You just need a DC-AC converter.

You absolutely need batteries.  Panel output is inconsistent and it doesn't work at night.  Gotta have a reservoir.  Batteries that you can run down to zero without harming would be nice. 

I still find it funny they called the company Tesla instead of Edison.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2017, 05:42:53 PM »
Gotta burn tons of coal in order to power all those environment friendly electric cars.

mac33

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2017, 09:18:40 PM »
Getting energy from solar and wind power is not consistent and does not provide enough energy for industry that drives the economy.

These two energy sources demand huge areas to function and constant maintenance - ratio to money put in and what you get out is something to be studied first.

Nuclear energy was brought in with a reason also, the demands for energy are just to great. It comes with a severe risk though and wastes of nuclear material which we have no real final solution for...

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2017, 07:16:08 AM »
You absolutely need batteries.  Panel output is inconsistent and it doesn't work at night.  Gotta have a reservoir.  Batteries that you can run down to zero without harming would be nice. 

I still find it funny they called the company Tesla instead of Edison.

only need batteries if you're not connected to the grid.  FYI-Edison was already taken as a company name by an energy company.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2017, 07:19:39 AM »

Coal isn't adding new jobs.  Batteries are only needed if you intend on producing your own power but that would not be a bad idea.  Lot cheaper
A

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2017, 07:33:27 AM »
only need batteries if you're not connected to the grid.  FYI-Edison was already taken as a company name by an energy company.

Grids are for pussies.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2017, 07:48:39 AM »
Getting energy from solar and wind power is not consistent and does not provide enough energy for industry that drives the economy.

These two energy sources demand huge areas to function and constant maintenance - ratio to money put in and what you get out is something to be studied first.

Nuclear energy was brought in with a reason also, the demands for energy are just to great. It comes with a severe risk though and wastes of nuclear material which we have no real final solution for...

Nuclear energy in theory is amazing but the main factor that affects Nuclear plants is time and pressure.  Just like shawshank redemption.  Over time those facilities start to crumble.  You can try your best to upkeep them but you can't predict the ground beneath.  Slight shifts of earth over time etc...  Then you're stuck with the human factor.  You have humans who are error prone running it, or you can automate it all via computers but computers aren't flawless and can be hacked and corrupted.  Too many outside factors that negate the positive aspects of nuclear energy.  Most power plants are built by bodies of water and you can't predict storms, tsunamis etc... 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2017, 12:16:06 PM »
So many millennials want electricity but you don't want coal driven power power plants. They don't want nuclear. You are okay with gas but there isn't enough gas to power the country. You can't power the country with wind mills and solar panels. There is technology to keep coal powered plants reasonably clean.  Coal is cheap and plentiful.  Battery driven cars are great but they are not without environmental impact from mining for manufacturing to disposal. It is more efficient and less of an environmental impact to power electric cars with electricity provided by power plants. 

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2017, 12:24:28 PM »
Wind and Solar is diffuse, spread out over a large area...The only thing that can currently generate dense energy...all in one place, without burning anything...is nuclear fission.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2017, 12:28:17 PM »
coal mining is a good way to get black lung and or lung cancer and die a premature painful death.... trump approved i guess.
F