Author Topic: 25 Years ago today....The 1992 World Bodybuilding Federation (WBF) Championship  (Read 18629 times)

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
Here's a promo of Lex on BodyStars.

lex was very good but nowhere near there development at least in that time/promo..

Strongmanfan

• Getbig III
Re: 25 Years ago today....The 1992 World Bodybuilding FederGnship
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2017, 04:10:42 AM »
Massive  G. met Gary through that organization.  He said so on Muscle Mayhem.  Gary posted there and if anyone literally misspoke even slightly about Gary - or any pro - Massively Hairy Arms G would lose his mind.  :-X

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
lex was very good but nowhere near there development at least in that time/promo..

Yeah, hes lucky he never "guest posed" like they had planned. It would have made him look pretty small (even though he wasn't)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
I don't know. I have an episode of BodyStars, where at the end is the "WBF Rules to Lift By". In the segment, Lex Luger asks a girl if he can work in with her on a chest machine. She lets him and he keeps repping and flexing between sets. But, he won't let the girl do another set.

Berry DeMey comes to the rescue and tells Lex to get off the machine and let her do another set. Lex looked a lot bigger than Berry did and Berry's no small guy.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Here's something I just found. It's from "Major Guns" Eddie Robinson's YouTube channel.

This is from the Coliseum Video tape of the 1992 WBF show.

It's a behind the scenes of Eddie Robinson, rehearsing his routine with the machine gun.

I saw (and taped) the show on PPV the day it happened. So, I obviously didn't see this part.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Family Feud: WWF vs. WBF.

I think this aired shortly after the 1992 show.

Another BodyStars promo:

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
I remember this one too. It's the promo for the first championship in 1991. It aired on WWF SuperStars and Wrestling Challenge every week for at least two months before the show.

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
Did any wrestling fans give two shits about wbf back then? Or were they just cringing like "wtf is this?"

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Did any wrestling fans give two shits about wbf back then? Or were they just cringing like "wtf is this?"

I certainly did. I loved wrestling, especially the WWF. And, I'd been seriously into bodybuilding for about two years.

So when the WBF hit, I thought it was AWESOME. One of my best friends, who also loved wrestling (Ultimate Warrior was his favorite) didn't care too much for the WBF.

But, I was THRILLED. Finally, I could see bodybuilding every week, instead of once every three or four months, at 2:00 am or whenever ESPN felt like airing "American Muscle" (especially when BodyStars aired in '92). Granted, with the WBF, it was the same 13 guys (although they signed Ferrigno for a minute, but he left before BodyStars hit TV). Still, it was great.

Here are some promos by "Macho Man" Randy Savage with "The Giant Killer" Danny Padilla and "The Jetman" Tony Pearson training.

Not to be outdone, here's a promo from the Ultimate Warrior.

They played off their 1991 feud where Warrior beat the "Macho King" in a "Career ending match" at WrestleMania 7.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
One of the few guys who came in shape for both shows: "The Future" Jim Quinn.

1991:

1992:

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
"Texas Tornado" promos a WBF fitness event, featuring "Mighty" Mike Quinn.

hardgainerj

• Getbig V

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
16:38

If you're referring to the championship video, that's Tony Pearson hitting a vacuum shot.

hardgainerj

• Getbig V
If you're referring to the championship video, that's Tony Pearson hitting a vacuum shot.
and vince cracking one

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
More promos of the 1991 championship: Jim Quinn, Aaron Baker, and Troy Zuccolotto.

I didn't know Hulk Hogan gave Troy Zuccolotto tips on biceps.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
I found this promo while watching old wrestling highlights. It's Lex Luger (the supposed guest poser, who got sidelined via a motorcycle accident) vs. Berry DeMey, bragging about who would look better at the '92 show. 30:07

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
Killer

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
I found this promo while watching old wrestling highlights. It's Lex Luger (the supposed guest poser, who got sidelined via a motorcycle accident) vs. Berry DeMey, bragging about who would look better at the '92 show. 30:07

Killer

[ Invalid YouTube link ]
So, who do you got? Luger or Demey?

honest

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
Gary weighed 227 for 1991 where he looked his most shredded. Not sure about WBF he tried to say  he was 260. Most guys got ready just on HGH and test for the last 12-18 months and had to lower their levels to beat the test come comp and testing time, some faired better than others, I remember the word was Strydom wasn't getting tested, truth was he was using a lot more HGH more than  likely as he had the best paying contract. Christian was 20 lbs heavier and harder 8 weeks out.

harmankardon1

• Getbig IV
Machine gun bit was pretty cool, even if corny as hell....

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Gary weighed 227 for 1991 where he looked his most shredded. Not sure about WBF he tried to say  he was 260. Most guys got ready just on HGH and test for the last 12-18 months and had to lower their levels to beat the test come comp and testing time, some faired better than others, I remember the word was Strydom wasn't getting tested, truth was he was using a lot more HGH more than  likely as he had the best paying contract. Christian was 20 lbs heavier and harder 8 weeks out.
Still had no back even at 260. When he turned around he got destroyed by every other pro.

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Still had no back even at 260. When he turned around he got destroyed by every other pro.

Judging by his two WBF titles, I'd say his being "destroyed" is a bit inaccurate..

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Judging by his two WBF titles, I'd say his being "destroyed" is a bit inaccurate..

hahah they werent real contests...

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
hahah they werent real contests...

Says who? The judges were all former IFBB pros, including (for the first show, at least, former Mr. Olympia, Chris Dickerson).

The evening show was simply the "entertainment" round, where the bodybuilders could do whatever they liked (and McMahon's money could foot). Besides, Strydom won multiple shows in the IFBB and placed top 5 at the Olympia...BEFORE he went to the WBF.