Author Topic: 25 Years ago today....The 1992 World Bodybuilding Federation (WBF) Championship  (Read 18621 times)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
This was the final show for this organization, which folded a month later. With the feds breathing down Vince McMahon's neck about anabolic steroids, the WBF guys were tested for everything but the kitchen sink.

The results were shocking to say the least.

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
Man, that's just about the last thing I'd show anybody if I admitted I was into bodybuilding, and that says something.

Aaron Baker and Johnnie Morant looked good at this show though.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Man, that's just about the last thing I'd show anybody if I admitted I was into bodybuilding, and that says something.

Aaron Baker and Johnnie Morant looked good at this show though.

I thought about this after seeing some links to Tony Pearson's personal training site and YouTube channel.

I paid $15 to see this show, the first bodybuilding show I'd ever seen on the day it actually occurred, not 6-9 months later.

People always rant about testing bodybuilders. Vince McMahon actually did it (albeit not for the purest reasons) and he gets blasted for it.

The two biggest shockers for me were Mike Christian and Mike Quinn. Christian looked as if he was on crack (which turned out to be more accurate than I thought at the time). And Quinn? Dipasquale's diet didn't do him any favors.

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
Strydom was off too. He never, ever managed to recapture his '91 look. He tried returning to IFBB at that one NOC show and just didn't have the same pop to his muscles.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Strydom was off too. He never, ever managed to recapture his '91 look. He tried returning to IFBB at that one NOC show and just didn't have the same pop to his muscles.

Actually, when he came back in 2006, he looked even better than he did as WBF champion. It was just that the competition had surpassed him.

Jim Quinn was smaller but he held on to enough size to place second. Aaron Baker made the most improvement. He's the only one who looked bigger in '92 than he did in '91.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
http://pwchronicle.blogspot.ro/2005/12/history-definitive-history-of-wbf.html

This "history" is quite off. For starters, the picture of "Tom Platz" is actually Dave Draper (who was the WBF's head judge for both contests).

Vince McMahon and Bobby Heenan did commentary on the second show, not the first one. That was Tom Platz and Greg Lewis.

Eddie Robinson didn't place top 5 in the second show. And Padilla's "Jack and the Beanstalk" routine was in the second show, not the first.

And, that's just for starters.

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
  • Getbig sponsored athlete.
This is very gay.

BSN

• Getbig IV
Yeah, I saw the picture with Draper instead of Platz. But others were wrong in renowned journals..

Da Freak

• Getbig IV
  • Get BIG! Or DIE trying!
Pearson got robbed!  :o

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
strydom.was still good enough to win,was off 'less tight'but still had great bodyparts

demey,was off ,way down for him ,91 was one of his best looks ever like 88 condition with 86/87 size

baker was shredded his costume/hair threw it off

dearth was smaller like his middleweight days but was in shape,,he looked good again 94/96 noc's bigger and lean

padilla ..soft like offseason

eddie robinson condition way off,downsized a bit,but still pretty big.

j Quinn was still large /good condition

zuccollotto downsized/condition

Strongmanfan

• Getbig III
This is very gay.I

Huh?  The 1992 WBBF is what I see when I close my eyes and visualize perfection.

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
Actually, when he came back in 2006, he looked even better than he did as WBF champion. It was just that the competition had surpassed him.

For his age, his 2006 comeback was incredible, but I'm sorry no way is that on par with his '91 look.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
For his age, his 2006 comeback was incredible, but I'm sorry no way is that on par with his '91 look.
no not even close esp legs,,,what he had in 2006 due to age and training so long was a more papered skinned look..91 he was huge/thick ..

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Pearson got robbed!  :o

I thought he should have placed 5th, as well.

McMahon and Platz were taken aback that "the Jetman" got left out the top 5 as well.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
strydom.was still good enough to win,was off 'less tight'but still had great bodyparts

demey,was off ,way down for him ,91 was one of his best looks ever like 88 condition with 86/87 size

baker was shredded his costume/hair threw it off

dearth was smaller like his middleweight days but was in shape,,he looked good again 94/96 noc's bigger and lean

padilla ..soft like offseason

eddie robinson condition way off,downsized a bit,but still pretty big.

j Quinn was still large /good condition

zuccollotto downsized/condition

I actually thought Strydom was in better condition than he was in '91 but definitely smaller.

What in the world happened to Mike Christian? How did he go from 2nd place in '91 to looking like a crackhead in '92?

Simple Simon

I actually thought Strydom was in better condition than he was in '91 but definitely smaller.

What in the world happened to Mike Christian? How did he go from 2nd place in '91 to looking like a crackhead in '92?

maybe he was using crack?

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

Whatever it was, it did a whammy on him.

I know he got popped on a drug test and got fined $25,000 (a month's salary) for it.

tres_taco_combo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
his 2006 build is still stupid awesome.

I watched WWF at the time and they would rep that WBF stuff so hard.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
his 2006 build is still stupid awesome.

I watched WWF at the time and they would rep that WBF stuff so hard.

Indeed. Every week prior to the first championship, WWF SuperStars and Wrestling Challenge would feature the "Bodybuilding Lifestyles" magazine and a shot clip of a WBF superstar training in the gym.

They even had them appear on taped episodes of Prime Time Wrestling.

Here's one of Mike Christian on Prime Time.

They even had Lex Luger, promoting the 1992 show at WrestleMania 8.

Strongmanfan

• Getbig III

Yes, I heard from a reliable Getbig source - on par with Vince Goodrum - that Gary did recs.  LOTS OF RECS.

That said, I cannot reveal the source, AS HE IS FRIENDS WITH GARY!!!

Simple Simon

Yes, I heard from a reliable Getbig source - on par with Vince Goodrum - that Gary did recs.  LOTS OF RECS.

That said, I cannot reveal the source, AS HE IS FRIENDS WITH GARY!!!

no guesses required regarding the identity of that individual

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Here's a promo of Lex on BodyStars.

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
  • World Record Holder in French Toast Diving

But he was The Toast of the Town!