Author Topic: Interstellar: The Movie  (Read 6124 times)

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
Interstellar: The Movie
« on: June 17, 2017, 07:42:34 PM »
Am I the only one who felt existentially raped after seeing this movie? Don't get me wrong, I love watching it when it's on but... conceptually it's so freaking super-deep it's almost obscene.

Take for example travelling through a worm hole and being in there for x days, only to find out that when you come out of the worm hole your 5-year old is now a dying 75 year old old lady.

Or how about time being expressed as a physical dimension in such a way that all energy (data included) is represented in strings of three dimensional moments?

I'm an avid atheist but... after watching this movie, who's to say that a person's thoughts (which is data, or stored energy) can't move on to something or someone else once the physical being dies out? It would make perfect sense, I mean all humans are, essentially, is energy-accumulating beings, and once we die, the energy we have stored in us doesn't just dissipate, it goes somewhere else.

One of the precepts of energy is that it "can neither be created nor destroyed; rather, it transforms from one form to another."

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
Re: Interstellar: The Movie
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 08:10:15 PM »
"All we are is poo gas in the wind.  Dude. . ."

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 08:28:29 PM »
Welcome to 3 years ago.  ;D
A

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 09:02:01 PM »
"All we are is poo gas in the wind.  Dude. . ."

Q

POTA

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 09:38:24 PM »
There were so many cliches in that movie it was hard to sit through it.

HockeyFightFan

• Getbig V
  • Getgay is Beneath Me
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 09:40:48 PM »
Every fucking time Jason Bourne goes into outer space Jessica Chastain has to save him...

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 04:30:35 AM »
Thought it was an awesome movie. I made a post about it some months back and realized that the movie actually made a lot of money and the reviews here were great. Not sure how I missed it.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 04:49:38 AM »
I loved it. I took my then 12-year old son who was (and still is) very interested in astrophysics. The conversations that the movie created spanned weeks and were priceless. From family relationships, to the time-dialation effects of gravity to the nature of the universe. Thumbs all the way up from me.

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2017, 06:34:34 AM »
what's boring about space is that everything is too far away and modern science can't do much about it.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2017, 06:40:47 AM »
what's boring about space is that everything is too far away and modern science can't do much about it yet.

FIFY.

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2017, 07:20:00 AM »
FIFY.

we will all be long gone dead

Shizzo

• Getbig IV
  • 2014 Getbig Hall of Fame Inductee
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2017, 07:29:43 AM »
The universe has always baffled me. What the he'll is it doing there in the first place?

Why is it infinite?  What is the point of having millions of galaxies with billions of planets?

That is one of the reasons why I am agnostic instead of being an atheist.

The shit just doesn't add up. Maybe we are just a part of a giant, intergalactic ant farm, that is being watched over by a higher power?

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2017, 07:48:19 AM »
There was a bit of Quantum Mechanics involved in that movie which went way over my head ..... but I still gotta recommend that the more inquisitive GetBiggers take some time out and read DANCING WU LI MASTERS ..... the best book I've ever read on the subject of QM and the most understandable study of a subject which is mostly NOT understandable (even by today's intelligentsia!).

But give it a try. It will blow your mind!

Simple Simon

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2017, 08:32:09 AM »
The universe has always baffled me. What the he'll is it doing there in the first place?

Why is it infinite?  What is the point of having millions of galaxies with billions of planets?

The shit just doesn't add up. Maybe we are just a part of a giant, intergalactic ant farm, that is being watched over by a higher power?

I wouldnt worry, I guarantee no one is watching what you are doing....

NelsonMuntz

• Getbig V
  • Getbigs Most Positive Member March&October 2017
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2017, 08:43:20 AM »
"

Shizzo

• Getbig IV
  • 2014 Getbig Hall of Fame Inductee
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2017, 08:51:46 AM »
Except you apparently.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2017, 09:05:43 AM »

I get your thought process here. I too find myself in this category at times.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2017, 09:52:34 AM »
Cue the theme from "The Twilight Zone" .

NelsonMuntz

• Getbig V
  • Getbigs Most Positive Member March&October 2017
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2017, 11:03:44 AM »

Shizzo once dreamed as a young sexually confused Florida youth of going to Cape Canaveral and riding a rocket into space.

Then he was devastated to find out Uranus was a planet and not this
"

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2017, 07:03:03 PM »

My take on it is that... our perceptual level is so low that we just can't fathom a 4-dimensional world in the current 3-dimensional environment. The world, as is now, can be explained in mathematical terms, although we haven't got the time or resources to do so (or the combined brainpower,) hence there IS an underlying mechanism or protocol running all this shit. Not celestial/religious mind you. We're so constrained by the time dimension that we can't really wrap our heads around time being anything but a transitional moment from past to future. In reality though, if the time/4th dimension shackles were removed and we DID have unlimited access to all moments (much like we have for the other three dimensions,) past and future, our existence would be much much different, in a way NO ONE has even understood. If we were really timeless, I'm fairly certain that our biological existence would have to take on a much different form. With past, present and future coexisting in the same reality, we all would be all things to all people, hence the acts of being born and dying would be unnecessary (to some degree).

If I were to have complete access to my existence, past, present and future, who's to say that the mere act of existing would be necessary? For example, in a 3-dimensional world, being alive is a biological must in order to exist, but in a 5-dimensional world... mmmm, not so sure.

To me, the most telltale sign that our brain is capable of comprehending the 5-dimensional world is the fact that when humans have a near-death experience, most of them say something like "my entire life flashed before my eyes". To me, this is the brain going fifth-dimensional. Maybe dying isn't really the end after all. Maybe we just go on to another reality, another time period or just another place.

After all, energy never ever dissipates .

HockeyFightFan

• Getbig V
  • Getgay is Beneath Me
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2017, 07:40:52 PM »
No better reason to become an astronaut than knowing Anne Hathaway is alone out in space.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2017, 08:36:43 PM »
After all, energy never ever dissipates .

Or as George Carlin once said, "Every day, thousands of farts are trapped in foam cushions and you'd need a hammer to get them out.  Of course by then they'd be a bend"...

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2017, 05:56:57 AM »
Film was alright, a bit melodramatic, but otherwise entertaining.