Author Topic: Do bodybuilders and fitness gurus start going insane at middle age?  (Read 6367 times)

BBSSchlemiel

• Getbig IV
The fitness gurus, Scott Abel, Paul Carter, Charles Loliquin, all start talking weird shit or doing silly shit on social media. The bodybuilders, Lee Priest, Skip La Fraud, Kevin Jabroni, Dorian, all go off the deep end, either with useless comebacks or whacked transcendental, New Age shit.

TheAnimal

• Getbig IV
Yes, most go insane.

BBSSchlemiel

• Getbig IV
Yes, most go insane.

I have some suspicions why. What do you think is the reason?

TheAnimal

• Getbig IV
I have some suspicions why. What do you think is the reason?
I think elite level bodybuilding/lifting is an extreme activity which requires an insane mindset.

Makes sense after decades of extreme activity that their mental state will manifest differently.

Also many of the protocols involved probably have contributory factors leading to mental illnesses. I'm not a psychiatrist so I don't know.

Look at how crazy bb.com misc section is...

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
it doesn't matter that they are involved in the utter carny act that is "bodybuilding/fitness"

however, it does have to do with age

you reach a certain age and you get to that "is that all?" point

plus, in a vanity industry like theirs it must drive them insane that they look amazing (and trust me--to the general public someone like Rich looks amazing) and yet you aren't a world famous, gazillonaire movie star

you think it doesn't fucking KILL Mike O'hearn that he is perfect (let's face it--the dude is perfect) yet you can't get a agent to call you back?

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
it doesn't matter that they are involved in the utter carny act that is "bodybuilding/fitness"

plus, in a vanity industry like theirs it must drive them insane that they look amazing (and trust me--to the general public someone like Rich looks amazing) and yet you aren't a world famous, gazillonaire movie star

you think it doesn't fucking KILL Mike O'hearn that he is perfect (let's face it--the dude is perfect) yet you can't get a agent to call you back?

Yes on all of this. Although you left out the part that they're as vain as women about their looks. So, when age starts kicking in and they look in the mirror, they panic.

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
Yes on all of this. Although you left out the part that they're as vain as women about their looks. So, when age starts kicking in and they look in the mirror, they panic.

the ultimate solution for them is to add a meal

"I've been eating 6 meals a day for 25 years and I've gotten nowhere"

"AHA......I'll EAT 7 MEALS A DAY!!"

TheAnimal

• Getbig IV

Good point!

SGT BARNES

• Getbig IV
  • crush your enemies, see them driven before you
Ending up broke at that age helps push them over the edge as well.  (cough- levrone...priest...wheel er...etc)

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
Bodybuilders go wacky.

Gurus just more scammy. There's only so much cash you can make talking or writing about getting bigger, stronger, faster, or leaner. After a certain point you've got start pushing more and more bizarre things to reach the next level of Gurudom.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
Re: Do bodybuilders and fitness gurus start going insane at middle age?
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 02:20:36 AM »
You're definitely onto something.

Didn't Lyle McDonald recently claim to be bipolar? Last picture I saw of him he was sporting one of the weirdest looking beards I've ever seen. You have to be nuts to think that thing looks good.

It seems that all these guys ever do after a while is get into pissing contests with each other "gurus" and jerk themselves off about how only they know the "science."

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 02:26:59 AM »
he's rocking the wolverine beard

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 02:45:54 AM »
Jimmy Moore, in red, takes the cake.

How shameless do you have to be to prop yourself up as a diet guru when you look like that?

Skylge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2017, 02:46:56 AM »
Most builders and couches / gurus / trainers were slightly retarded to begin with

Add 30 odd years of gear abuse and the picture becomes a lot darker....

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2017, 02:58:51 AM »

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2017, 05:40:54 AM »
This is my analysis. Bodybuilding attracts a lot of insecure guys. Once they syringe and pop pills they get looks of amazement everywhere they go. It's like being an instant celebrity. People come to them for advice and to give compliments. It becomes an endless cycle of using drugs. When they try to quit drugs they quickly lose their physique. They become less aggressive. Some actually feel timid, nervous and depressed. They start to crave that attention and the great mental state they had while on the juice. It becomes an addiction. Then due to finances, health or even arrest they have to stop. Then the mental health starts to fail. They realize they have no career and wasted their life.

Very few can make a true career out of this. For most of the pro's once their temp physique goes then so does the money.

Forget the pros in this discussion. The sub culture of cycling steroids is a dead end. Much better to concentrate on a career while training hard naturally. You will look in shape and attractive but never good enough to compete. Lastly having been around gyms for over 40 years I have seen this repeatedly and it sums it up. I can't count how many guys have pulled a crumpled up picture out of their wallet of when back in the day on juice looking amazing. The problem is I look at the guy holding the picture and he looks like he never did a push up in his life.

Taking steroids is kind of like smoking. Many smokers will die from heart attacks or cancer but smokers will point to the 80 year old that beat the odds and is still smoking in their rationalization. Same with steroids.

BBSSchlemiel

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2017, 05:49:51 AM »
This is my analysis. Bodybuilding attracts a lot of insecure guys. Once they syringe and pop pills they get looks of amazement everywhere they go. It's like being an instant celebrity. People come to them for advice and to give compliments. It becomes an endless cycle of using drugs. When they try to quit drugs they quickly lose their physique. They become less aggressive. Some actually feel timid, nervous and depressed. They start to crave that attention and the great mental state they had while on the juice. It becomes an addiction. Then due to finances, health or even arrest they have to stop. Then the mental health starts to fail. They realize they have no career and wasted their life.

Very few can make a true career out of this. For most of the pro's once their temp physique goes then so does the money.

Forget the pros in this discussion. The sub culture of cycling steroids is a dead end. Much better to concentrate on a career while training hard naturally. You will look in shape and attractive but never good enough to compete. Lastly having been around gyms for over 40 years I have seen this repeatedly and it sums it up. I can't count how many guys have pulled a crumpled up picture out of their wallet of when back in the day on juice looking amazing. The problem is I look at the guy holding the picture and he looks like he never did a push up in his life.

Taking steroids is kind of like smoking. Many smokers will die from heart attacks or cancer but smokers will point to the 80 year old that beat the odds and is still smoking in their rationalization. Same with steroids.

Yeah, but there are many guys who did natural shows, who look fine today.

Even some of the gurus and coaches lost their marbles. Ever see Paul Carter's IG page? The guy takes endless selfies accompanied by life lessons or silly self-help style silliness. Same with Steve Shaw.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2017, 05:54:40 AM »
Bodybuilders go wacky.

Gurus just more scammy. There's only so much cash you can make talking or writing about getting bigger, stronger, faster, or leaner. After a certain point you've got start pushing more and more bizarre things to reach the next level of Gurudom.

It's usually in the form of a new diet. Currently, it's ketosis. Apparently, there is some multi level marketing company that sells ketones to suckers. That's why so many podcast host nutritional gurus are pushing the ketosis angle.

The entire nutritional industry is essentially a scam as healthy eating comes down to a few basic guidelines. After that, it's all about execution.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2017, 06:16:51 AM »

SUMMED UP WELL...

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2017, 10:33:51 AM »

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2017, 10:43:00 AM »

Such an embarrassing activity, mental illness of (no) peace...

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2017, 10:50:45 AM »
Everyone does.  We're just big enough to matter.

Fallsview

• Getbig V
  • Mr. Gulf Coast 1994,95,99
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2017, 10:57:21 AM »
Its called a Mid-Life crisis. Problem is steriod using bodybuilders get it 100x worse then regular men. Think about it. In their prime they had a great body, cash and lots of sex on tap. Now, they still use steroids, their bodies are "good" but they can't deny they are breaking down. Wrinkles and thinning hair start happening. All the while you are still connected to the sport seeing others get what you had. Sure they still pull the  occasional woman but not like they used to and that hurts their ego.

Its more complicated then this but you get the point. I could write a book about bodybuilders and their ego and how it starts to become a panic for them as they get older.

PRIME EXAMPLE: We are currently watching Mike O'Hearn. He looks great for his age. But the house is starting to show signs of wear. It will be interesting to see what is going to happen with him in the next 10-15 years as his modeling jobs start going to younger men.

STAY POSITIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2017, 06:05:36 PM »
bodybuilders, models, actors etc everybody that was known for their looks in their younger days hates getting old

E
E

WannaBePro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2017, 07:19:25 AM »
Its called a Mid-Life crisis. Problem is steriod using bodybuilders get it 100x worse then regular men. Think about it. In their prime they had a great body, cash and lots of sex on tap. Now, they still use steroids, their bodies are "good" but they can't deny they are breaking down. Wrinkles and thinning hair start happening. All the while you are still connected to the sport seeing others get what you had. Sure they still pull the  occasional woman but not like they used to and that hurts their ego.

Its more complicated then this but you get the point. I could write a book about bodybuilders and their ego and how it starts to become a panic for them as they get older.

PRIME EXAMPLE: We are currently watching Mike O'Hearn. He looks great for his age. But the house is starting to show signs of wear. It will be interesting to see what is going to happen with him in the next 10-15 years as his modeling jobs start going to younger men.

STAY POSITIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I predict he will overdo the botox and start looking like a male version of Joan Rivers.