Author Topic: Canadian special forces sniper makes record-breaking 3,540m kill shot in Iraq  (Read 14724 times)

Simple Simon

do you think snipers are brave or cowards  ???

depends whos side they are on I suppose.

the USA reports
"We have launched a pre-emptive strike on our enemy"

and the next day
"Cowardly Iraqi dogs launch unprovoked attack on our boys"

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
should snipers be allowed?

Waller

• Getbig IV
should snipers be allowed?

Even if they weren't the rule wouldn't be followed by all, so they are necessary.

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
Even if they weren't the rule wouldn't be followed by all, so they are necessary.

so if one side doesnt follow the rules that makes it ok for the other side to not follow the rules?

Waller

• Getbig IV
so if one side doesnt follow the rules that makes it ok for the other side to not follow the rules?

It makes it necessary, unless they are willing to sacrifice tactical advantage and men for morals.

Are snipers that big of a deal anymore anyway? The U.S come under sniper fire in the middle East and they take cover and call in warthogs or something until they're blown to shit. (Edit: I meant to emphasise that snipers are way down on the playing field now, not that the western forces shouldn't worry or we have better)

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
It makes it necessary, unless they are willing to sacrifice tactical advantage and men for morals.

Are snipers that big of a deal anymore anyway? The U.S come under sniper fire in the middle East and they take cover and call in warthogs or something until they're blown to shit. (Edit: I meant to emphasise that snipers are way down on the playing field now, not that the western forces shouldn't worry or we have better)

not sure.

i did see that american sniper-movie clint eastwood made. but he might not be up to date either. he's getting old.

Waller

• Getbig IV
not sure.

i did see that american sniper-movie clint eastwood made. but he might not be up to date either. he's getting old.

Getting old? He got old. The old he got has gotten old. I think Clint may be the only person left alive who can verify Wes' real age.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
I shot a bale of hay with a bow & arrow one time. I was aiming at the tree the bale of hay was leaning against, but it was still a pretty good shot.
a

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
I shot a bale of hay with a bow & arrow one time. I was aiming at the tree the bale of hay was leaning against, but it was still a pretty good shot.

did you pursue a career in military?

Taffin

• Getbig V
  • Training out my gay penor...
Sorry to bump my own thread, I know it's bad form, but I just watched this video about the ballistics of the shot.  What really stood out was the diagram they used to show just how high above the target the sniper must have aimed - I may have misheard (800ft??), but the diagram shows their calculation..... it's pretty mind-blowing....

T

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
Sorry to bump my own thread, I know it's bad form, but I just watched this video about the ballistics of the shot.  What really stood out was the diagram they used to show just how high above the target the sniper must have aimed - I may have misheard (800ft??), but the diagram shows their calculation..... it's pretty mind-blowing....

I think the holdover was 800inches.. Buick which means he aimed for 800 in above the Target and that's not even including or mentioning windage adjustments. That's like a Hail Mary with a bullet

Taffin

• Getbig V
Just found this...  :o

T

Ropo

• Getbig IV

Misheard..or misunderstand..anyway, shots like that cannot be done without one of these: http://www.coldshotusa.com/
so you can adjust the angle of the optics in relative to the barrel: you see the target even if your gun is pointing to the clouds.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
Just found this...  :o

You have to own a lot of acres to be allowed to buy a rifle like that here.  :(  Permitted caliber goes by land size, I think, so that's basically a couple million dollar gun plus a few 10k in optics.  And I think he said he's firing solid copper bullets.  (Doesn't everyone?)  I don't think 'Mark and Sam' are coming home after work from the local hardware or grocery store.

While I'm being a dick - yes, these shots are amazing but the point almost eludes me.  If you're the military you could send a guided missile to a target painted by satellite or drone, or just hit it with the drone's weaponry, and hit it every time, from an even greater distance.  To ok a shot like the Canuk took and not use more expensive kill-assured weapons, commanders must have been like "Meh, if you can get him cool but if you miss it's not that big a deal."  If you're a hobby shooter interested in accuracy then why not just use a bench rifle with micrometer adjustments and a viewing screen?  I see little distinction between that and propping a traditional rifle on a bipod plus a sand bag for stability.  It's not like you're holding the thing at all.

Simple Simon

Just found this...  :o

shame he didnt shoot this guy at 3mins 30

Taffin

• Getbig V
shame he didnt shoot this guy at 3mins 30

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAAAA!  Great spot - I didn't think of that when I saw it  ;D
T

Taffin

• Getbig V
You have to own a lot of acres to be allowed to buy a rifle like that here.  :(  Permitted caliber goes by land size, I think, so that's basically a couple million dollar gun plus a few 10k in optics.  And I think he said he's firing solid copper bullets.  (Doesn't everyone?)  I don't think 'Mark and Sam' are coming home after work from the local hardware or grocery store.

While I'm being a dick - yes, these shots are amazing but the point almost eludes me.  If you're the military you could send a guided missile to a target painted by satellite or drone, or just hit it with the drone's weaponry, and hit it every time, from an even greater distance.  To ok a shot like the Canuk took and not use more expensive kill-assured weapons, commanders must have been like "Meh, if you can get him cool but if you miss it's not that big a deal."  If you're a hobby shooter interested in accuracy then why not just use a bench rifle with micrometer adjustments and a viewing screen?  I see little distinction between that and propping a traditional rifle on a bipod plus a sand bag for stability.  It's not like you're holding the thing at all.

Phew, lot to get through here, but I'll try....

First, I'm from the UK so we have very different laws.  May I ask roughly whereabouts you post from?  As it sounds like it may be an agricultural sort of place if the laws are predicated on 'owned acreage'  :)  In these parts we're allowed shotguns but not much else (yes there are other tools allowed but not many I believe)

Second - I admit my ignorance in that I have no idea what weapon he used, but when you say "couple million dollar gun" you exaggerate surely?  Optics Ropo explained to me already (thx)

Third - thank you for educating me about the benefits of copper bullets - I had no idea - http://cuttingedgebullets.com/copper-vs-lead-bullets

Finally - sure, in a purely military sense the dead guy must have been a medium on the bad-guy scale so why not have a go, but as for the hobby shooter thing I (confess ignorance again) that I don't know what a "bench rifle with micrometer adjustments and a viewing screen" really means, but it sure sounds like fun!!!  ;D
T

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast

First, I'm from the UK so we have very different laws.  May I ask roughly whereabouts you post from?  As it sounds like it may be an agricultural sort of place if the laws are predicated on 'owned acreage'  :)  In these parts we're allowed shotguns but not much else (yes there are other tools allowed but not many I believe)

Second - I admit my ignorance in that I have no idea what weapon he used, but when you say "couple million dollar gun" you exaggerate surely?  Optics Ropo explained to me already (thx)

Third - thank you for educating me about the benefits of copper bullets - I had no idea - http://cuttingedgebullets.com/copper-vs-lead-bullets

Finally - sure, in a purely military sense the dead guy must have been a medium on the bad-guy scale so why not have a go, but as for the hobby shooter thing I (confess ignorance again) that I don't know what a "bench rifle with micrometer adjustments and a viewing screen" really means, but it sure sounds like fun!!!  ;D

'Straya, cunt! You'll pick up a couple thousand acres for couple million but you have to do that before you get to buy the gun.  Bench rifles are super accurate, heavy things with knobs that dial in adjustments in fine increments.  I figure once you're that detached from the rifle, you might as well not bother snuggling a cheek against it and opt instead to send the image you'd see through the scope to a screen.  

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
Ah, pretty little boy like you just had to be a boy scout, no God fearing scoutmaster would let someone as cute as you go to waste.

Its now clear where all you anger has manifested from...

Oh and by the way, the scouts age limit for using firearms is 8 years old.. ;)

try again...

Gold

Ropo

• Getbig IV

First, I'm from the UK so we have very different laws.  May I ask roughly whereabouts you post from?  As it sounds like it may be an agricultural sort of place if the laws are predicated on 'owned acreage'  :)  In these parts we're allowed shotguns but not much else (yes there are other tools allowed but not many I believe)

Second - I admit my ignorance in that I have no idea what weapon he used, but when you say "couple million dollar gun" you exaggerate surely?  Optics Ropo explained to me already (thx)

Finally - sure, in a purely military sense the dead guy must have been a medium on the bad-guy scale so why not have a go, but as for the hobby shooter thing I (confess ignorance again) that I don't know what a "bench rifle with micrometer adjustments and a viewing screen" really means, but it sure sounds like fun!!!  ;D

Well, in real world good rifles doesn't come with the prize tag of million dollars. Rifle used  to the shot has prize of 12 000 -14 000$(customized), Optics take something like 4000 - 5000$ so you can get similar tools under 30 000$. Quite far from millions. Ammo? Seem to be 12$ per shot with solid copper bullet, which weights 8 oz /226 grams. Only thing which you can't buy is skills needed to make that shot. To make one shot hit at that distance is pure luck no matter who is shooting, but if you hit the target anywhere, it goes down with a splash. Why send missiles or drones, when you can stop lot of things with 12$ bullet?

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
Well, in real world good rifles doesn't come with the prize tag of million dollars. Rifle used  to the shot has prize of 12 000 -14 000$(customized), Optics take something like 4000 - 5000$ so you can get similar tools under 30 000$. Quite far from millions. Ammo? Seem to be 12$ per shot with solid copper bullet, which weights 8 oz /226 grams. Only thing which you can't buy is skills needed to make that shot. To make one shot hit at that distance is pure luck no matter who is shooting, but if you hit the target anywhere, it goes down with a splash. Why send missiles or drones, when you can stop lot of things with 12$ bullet?

Is take an.416 over a 50.  Better ballistics and cheaper

Ropo

• Getbig IV
Is take an.416 over a 50.  Better ballistics and cheaper

what ever..That ballistic gel is meant to be equivalent to human flesh.. ;D

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
what ever..That ballistic gel is meant to be equivalent to human flesh.. ;D

So? A .45 will still kill you from 300yards but you still gotta hit the target, & hitting the target is easier with a flattrr-shooting, higher velocity .416 than a .50. Does it matter if the 50 will kill you more. You're not walking away from either of them.

Simple Simon

So? A .45 will still kill you from 300yards but you still gotta hit the target, & hitting the target is easier with a flattrr-shooting, higher velocity .416 than a .50. Does it matter if the 50 will kill you more. You're not walking away from either of them.

Im almost convinced you would...

Taffin

• Getbig V

I misunderstood Tapeworms response - now he's explained to me that in 'Straya ( ;D) you'd have to spend millions on purchasing enough land to allow you to legally own a rifle of that sort, so it was an indirect cost - the price of the rifle itself is almost beside the point.... And I suppose if you're that rich, then $12 a shot doesn't really matter...  :P

T