Author Topic: Sam Hoger vs. Rashaad Evans  (Read 4491 times)

RancherRanger

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Sam Hoger vs. Rashaad Evans
« on: April 07, 2006, 04:46:14 AM »
Not really a big follower of either, but I gotta say that Sam got screwed on that decision!  I also think Bonner lost!

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
Re: Sam Hoger vs. Rashaad Evans
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 09:24:18 AM »
I had it 29-28 Evans,  He landed more shots, and took hogar down at will. Hogar had that Kimura, and landed that one kick.  Evans didn't really try to finish the fight, but he did enough to win it.  Now Bonnar on the other hand, flat out lost.
Predictions
 40/61

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 09:44:05 AM »
anyone think Bonnar's win was ufc politics?

RancherRanger

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 10:00:42 AM »
Rashaad took him down at will, but could he do anything once he got him there?  I think the way that the UFC scores takedowns needs to be re-evaluated cause Rashaad was lost on the ground.  And IMO Sam held his own standing with Rashaad.  I also think Jardine won his match.  Here's another question, can Rashaad actually win a match without it going to a decision?

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 10:31:32 AM »

Worst decision I've seen in a while.

wes mantooth

• Getbig IV
  • Dorothy Mantooth is a saint!
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 11:04:07 AM »
Rashaad took him down at will, but could he do anything once he got him there?  I think the way that the UFC scores takedowns needs to be re-evaluated cause Rashaad was lost on the ground.  And IMO Sam held his own standing with Rashaad.  I also think Jardine won his match.  Here's another question, can Rashaad actually win a match without it going to a decision?

yeah double r, i was thinking the exact same thing. he has no finish....EVERY fight he has had in his proffesional career has been a decision. he seems like he could have knockout power, but hes got no kick/ knee strikes, and his ground game is weak at best.

wasnt he a collegiate wrestler?

bigbalddaddy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2006, 12:51:19 PM »
Not really a big follower of either, but I gotta say that Sam got screwed on that decision!  I also think Bonner lost!

That was undboutedly the biggest rip off in the UFC history.  Not that it was a big draw fight but none the less it was all politics!

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2006, 01:28:51 PM »

No doubt!

I don't see how anyone could've given that fight to Bonnar. Frankly, I don't see why the UFC is gung ho to push Bonnar just because he was on the reality show. The guy is obviously a journeyman. He's an OK fighter, but there's nothing about him that blows you away.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2006, 01:47:14 PM »
Rashaad took him down at will, but could he do anything once he got him there?  I think the way that the UFC scores takedowns needs to be re-evaluated cause Rashaad was lost on the ground. 

This is an excellent point.

Takedowns should be judged within the context of the fight. In other words, what did the takedown accomplish?

There's a difference between slamming someone to the ground and getting a dominant position, and hitting a double-leg that puts you in the guard of someone who has great subs from the bottom.

OKMike

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2006, 03:39:05 PM »
I had it 29-28 Evans,  He landed more shots, and took hogar down at will. Hogar had that Kimura, and landed that one kick.  Evans didn't really try to finish the fight, but he did enough to win it.  Now Bonnar on the other hand, flat out lost.

I agree with your assessment 100%.

bigbalddaddy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2006, 03:39:18 PM »
This is an excellent point.

Takedowns should be judged within the context of the fight. In other words, what did the takedown accomplish?

There's a difference between slamming someone to the ground and getting a dominant position, and hitting a double-leg that puts you in the guard of someone who has great subs from the bottom.

This is especially true since Rashaad could never "pass guard" and was only down to get his breath because we all know he likes to gas out quick.  It was a good fight tactic that worked that shouldn't have!

torquemada

• Getbig IV
  • Billycarp ruled...
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2006, 12:54:30 PM »
This is especially true since Rashaad could never "pass guard" and was only down to get his breath because we all know he likes to gas out quick.  It was a good fight tactic that worked that shouldn't have!

On paper, Rashad's a good fighter b/c of the wrestling background, but he really can't do anything once he's there.  Notice that all his wins are decisions; he's not the kind of fighter that the UFC is going to push.  I'd honestly given it to Hoger, but I've always rooted for the heels ;D.

And totally agree that Bonnar got Christmas way early this year...

bigbalddaddy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2006, 04:31:08 PM »

And totally agree that Bonnar got Christmas way early this year...

Christmas, Birthday, St Pats, Columbus, Valentines, he got a present for everything in one!!! ;D ;D ;D