Author Topic: Tip For Cardio  (Read 7534 times)

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
Tip For Cardio
« on: July 25, 2017, 11:00:09 AM »
Most prob don't do cardio (like me up until about a month ago), but for those struggling to incorporate it, here's something that helped me out a lot.

Most of us prob do cardio in one block. Everyone has had the same thought and there are a ton of memes about how to get through 25 minutes of cardio all you have to do is get through 5 minutes 5 times. The thing that has helped me is to just split my cardio session into smaller blocks. For me the ideal length of time is 8 minutes  7 times, with 2 or three minute breaks in between.

I've been doing a lot of focus/concentration mental exercises lately and one of the things every "guru" points out is that the human brain can only focus on things for short periods of time. Taking on large goals can be discouraging because the amount of focus and energy you think you'll need to exert can be mentally exhausting before you even begin your project. By breaking a long cardio session into smaller, predefined segments you  make your goal that much more attainable.

rangerwil

• Getbig III
  • Straight as an arrow but gay as fuck!
Re: Tip For Cardio
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 11:16:19 AM »
That for sure works.
Smaller increments make it seem easier.
I've been on DNP for 11 days with about 20-40 min of cardio for 11 straight days.
About half way thru I wanna die either way.

Fallsview

• Getbig V
  • Mr. Gulf Coast 1994,95,99
Re: Tip For CardioQ
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 12:09:06 PM »
Amazing.

STAY POSITIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 12:18:34 PM »
Or, stop thinking about cardio separately and incorporate conditioning into all your workouts.
Y

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 03:00:30 PM »
Or, stop thinking about cardio separately and incorporate conditioning into all your workouts.

Which is not a bad way to go, depending on your goals. But if you're trying to maximize strength, then a cardio-focused weight routine (which is what I assume you're talking about) won't work out for ya, or if you are focusing on bringing up specific bodyparts. Also, standard cardio has much shorter recovery time than weight-focused weight training and HIIT , which is an advantage, but it is also hella monotonous in comparison.

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 03:09:08 PM »

Which is not a bad way to go, depending on your goals. But if you're trying to maximize strength, then a cardio-focused weight routine (which is what I assume you're talking about) won't work out for ya, or if you are focusing on bringing up specific bodyparts. Also, standard cardio has much shorter recovery time than weight-focused weight training and HIIT , which is an advantage, but it is also hella monotonous in comparison.
Check out Brian Alsruhe's youtube channel.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 03:14:59 PM »
Not for me.  I hit my stride around 20 mins then I stay in the zone, chief.  Not that I've been on the rower for 6 weeks but you know what I mean.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 03:16:05 PM »
Check out Brian Alsruhe's youtube channel.

Why would I do that?

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 03:18:30 PM »
If you have to focus or concentrate on cardio, you may need to back off on the intensity.  It's not a max-effort weight set, after all.  I usually zone out during cardio, only checking the timer/distance occasionally

As for the idea of breaking it into sections, that's probably not ideal, at least if we're talking about heart health.  Keeping the heart rate elevated for an extended period of time is the best way to train the heart.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 03:19:44 PM »
Not for me.  I hit my stride around 20 mins then I stay in the zone, chief.  Not that I've been on the rower for 6 weeks but you know what I mean.

Yeah, this tip is not meant for everyone. If you are able to focus and endure a full cardio session without any issues or breaks, then good on ya. For me, my mind is going a million places and which is actually a bigger issue than physical exhaustion.  

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 03:25:33 PM »
I get what you mean.  I find TV and even radio distracting.  I just flip down the timer screen, look at my feet, and concentrate on what I'm doing.  Can't find my zone with other demands on my attention.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 03:27:07 PM »
If you have to focus or concentrate on cardio, you may need to back off on the intensity.  It's not a max-effort weight set, after all.  I usually zone out during cardio, only checking the timer/distance occasionally

As for the idea of breaking it into sections, that's probably not ideal, at least if we're talking about heart health.  Keeping the heart rate elevated for an extended period of time is the best way to train the heart.
Like I said in my response to tapeworm, my biggest issue is not physical exhaustion. I kinda go over my whole reasoning for this in the opening post, but if you have the ability to focus on something for longer periods, great. It's something I'm working towards, but for anyone who isn't quite in that place, maybe this will be a helpful suggestion.

Most people go at varying speeds doing cardio anyway, taking a rest when they need it. If planned intervals is not as good as an extended period, I would guess it was a nominal difference, especially when it's a choice between not being motivated enough to do any cardio at all.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2017, 03:33:59 PM »
I get what you mean.  I find TV and even radio distracting.  I just flip down the timer screen, look at my feet, and concentrate on what I'm doing.  Can't find my zone with other demands on my attention.

It's funny you say that because the wifi in my gym was out recently and I listen to a spotify playlist while I'm working out and  apparently they play spotify or some sort of internet radio in my gym. I have music on my phone, but i don't have any workout playlists,so I just didn't listen to anything that particular day. One of the best workouts I can remember. I always assumed I needed music for motivation, but not having music definitely didn't hurt my workout. Unfortunately, I can't really duplicate it, because I either have to listen to the crap they play at my gym or the crap I select for myself and I would rather deal with the crap I choose.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2017, 04:35:49 PM »
I've got tons of podcasts downloaded to my phone (WTF with Marc Maron, Radiolab, Freakanomics radio) etc..)

Never a problem finding something to distract me for 30 minutes or so on the treadmill

edit - forgot to mention wireless headset

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2017, 04:41:41 PM »
Running is more enjoyable if you have access to scenic nature, free of cars and other annoyances. Treadmill type of stuff in gyms are torturous, feel like a trapped hamster.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2017, 04:51:45 PM »
Reduce your carbs and cut some calories and you won't need to do cardio... ever.

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2017, 04:54:35 PM »
Get on a treadmill behind this:

a

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2017, 05:09:02 PM »
Elliptical is where it is at. You can watch movies and do it at the same time.
A

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2017, 05:10:35 PM »
Reduce your carbs and cut some calories and you won't need to do cardio... ever.

Assuming that you dont care about being fit and healthy, sure you wont need to do cardio.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2017, 06:03:51 PM »
Assuming that you dont care about being fit and healthy, sure you wont need to do cardio.

So I'm not healthy unless I do cardio?

That's comical.

Jim Fixx basically started the jogging craze in the late 70's.  He died of a heart attack (while jogging) at 52 years old.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2017, 06:23:15 PM »
Elliptical is where it is at. You can watch movies and do it at the same time.

That's what I do.  ;D I used to do 1 hour on the Elliptical every single day , then I cut back to just 3 says a week.

dseiler

• Getbig III
  • GOING OFF THE DEEP END. FUCK IT
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2017, 06:25:24 PM »
Push a prowler for 15 minutes. Conditioning is where your heart sings.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2017, 08:03:10 PM »
So I'm not healthy unless I do cardio?

That's comical.

Jim Fixx basically started the jogging craze in the late 70's.  He died of a heart attack (while jogging) at 52 years old.

For every Jim Fixx that dies cardio prevents a massive amount of heart attacks. The first thing they do for heart attack rehab is cardio exercise. If bodybuilders could show off their heart muscle at the club they would be doing a lot of cardio. Heart attacks are the number one killer of man.

1. Cardio lowers the resting heart rate showing the heart muscle is stronger and more efficient.

2. Cardio can lower blood pressure.

3. It raises HDl's lowering the risk of the number one cause of death.

4. It lowers blood fat in the form of triglycerides.

5. Cardio increases capillaries around the heart.

6. It can lower blood sugar.

7. It lowers visceral fat that leads to metabolic diseases.

I could go on. I view cardio as the gas tank and training for strength, power and muscular endurance is the engine. One is not good with out the other.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2017, 03:49:22 AM »
For every Jim Fixx that dies cardio prevents a massive amount of heart attacks. The first thing they do for heart attack rehab is cardio exercise. If bodybuilders could show off their heart muscle at the club they would be doing a lot of cardio. Heart attacks are the number one killer of man.

1. Cardio lowers the resting heart rate showing the heart muscle is stronger and more efficient.

2. Cardio can lower blood pressure.

3. It raises HDl's lowering the risk of the number one cause of death.

4. It lowers blood fat in the form of triglycerides.

5. Cardio increases capillaries around the heart.

6. It can lower blood sugar.

7. It lowers visceral fat that leads to metabolic diseases.

I could go on. I view cardio as the gas tank and training for strength, power and muscular endurance is the engine. One is not good with out the other.

True, but proper dieting and lowering your calorie intake does most of those things too.   I'd rather save my energy for the weights.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2017, 05:03:05 AM »

You get incredibly strong via a routine that focuses on conditioning.

It just requires one to abandon what they think they know, and shed old bodybuilding memes that separate the two.  I know people who train this way who could win bodybuilding contest without bodybuilding, or powerlifting meets without powerlifting etc.......
Y