Author Topic: State Department says Secretary Tillerson is 'taking a little time off'  (Read 6838 times)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
State Department spokesperson didn't know the standard protocol for listing private days but that the AP Diplomacy writer would probably know?   WTF??

If Tillerson actually steps down how will Trump supporters spin this?

Tillerson has allegedly been very frustrated on Trump administration lack of support in getting his department staffed

This guy has zero diplomatic experience and you'd think the Trump administration would at the very least understand the need to get his a fully competent staff as quickly as possibly

State Department says Secretary Tillerson is 'taking a little time off' amid tensions in the White House

Heather Nauert, the spokesperson for the State Department, surprised reporters on Tuesday by saying that Secretary of State Rex Tillerson is "taking a little time off."

When asked about the discrepancies between Tillerson's public schedule and his reported movements, and why the department hadn't updated the press on his whereabouts, Nauert said Tillerson "does have the ability to go away for a few days on his own."

"Just taking a little time off," Nauert said of Tillerson's unannounced absence. "He's got a lot of work, he just came back from that mega trip overseas as you all well know, many of you were over there with the G20."

Asked why Nauert didn't just say Tillerson was on vacation, she said she didn't know the standard protocol for listing private days. Nauert then said Matt Lee, the Associated Press' diplomacy writer, would probably know.

Tillerson's absence comes amid reports that he's considering leaving the State Department.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/state-department-says-secretary-tillerson-is-taking-a-little-time-off-amid-tensions-in-the-white-house/ar-AAoPAfw?li=BBnb7Kz

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
lol...so? Obama took 8 years off

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
lol...so? Obama took 8 years off

go back to flipping tires dipshit

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
go back to flipping tires dipshit

At least Tillerson earned his vacation

Nick Danger

• Getbig V
At least Tillerson earned his vacation

I wouldn't be surprised if he never comes back.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
State Department denying rumors Tillerson may quite

Of course they'll deny it right up until the moment he resigns

If he actually does resign this quickly into office and Trump also fires Sessions this will make the Senate look like a bunch of fools since they just confirmed these guys a few months ago

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/343688-state-department-denies-rumors-of-possible-tillerson-exit

Fuzzy Nuts

Pretty impressive, made it almost 6 months. ::)

The rats are leaving the sinking ship.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
Pretty impressive, made it almost 6 months. ::)

The rats are leaving the sinking ship.

You should be happy about this. Maybe Trump will hire Hillary for the job:

Fuzzy Nuts

You should be happy about this. Maybe Trump will hire Hillary for the job:

Why should I be happy about a failing and corrupt government?

You should move on. Dwelling on the past is a sign of mental illness.

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
Why should I be happy about a failing and corrupt government?

Fuck. By that logic, I will never be, or have been, happy my entire life.
a

Fuzzy Nuts

Fuck. By that logic, I will never be, or have been, happy my entire life.
;D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: State Department says Secretary Tillerson is 'taking a little time off'
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 02:10:51 PM »
Wait.  I thought Tillerson quit?? 

Tillerson hails N. Korea sanctions, won't meet North Korean counterpart
By KYLIE ATWOOD CBS NEWS
August 6, 2017

MANILA, Philippines -- Hours after the United Nations Security Council voted to adopt fresh sanctions against North Korea, U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson attended a meeting of Southeast Asian countries and their partners Sunday -- and discussions of the regime's destabilizing nuclear and missile activity were front and center.

Tillerson called the new U.N. sanctions a "good outcome" as he embarked on his first day at the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) ministerial meeting. While his North Korean counterpart is in attendance, Tillerson will not meet with him during the summit, according to a U.S. State Department official.

The sanctions, the strongest U.N. action taken against the regime in a decade, are in retaliation for the regime's two intercontinental ballistic missile tests in July. North Korea is now banned from exporting all iron, lead and seafood. The U.N. says the measures will cost North Korea over $1 billion a year in hard currency.

In a rare vote, both Russia and China backed the sanctions, allowing for their passage. President Trump commended the sanctions and singled out Russia and China, saying he appreciates their "cooperation in securing passage of this resolution."

Susan Thornton, the top U.S. diplomat for Asia who is traveling with Tillerson in Manila, described the Chinese as "helpful and instrumental" in drafting the U.N. sanctions. This is a "good step" that shows the Chinese are serious and recognize the gravity, she said.

Recent tensions between the U.S. and China, however, have emerged as the U.S. has pushed the Asian powerhouse to do more when it comes to North Korea and China has come up empty-handed.

"I am very disappointed in China. Our foolish past leaders have allowed them to make hundreds of billions of dollars a year in trade, yet... they do NOTHING for us with North Korea, just talk. We will no longer allow this to continue. China could easily solve this problem!" Mr. Trump tweeted last week.

On Sunday, however, China urged North Korea to stop its nuclear and missile tests. The U.S. embraced the cooperation, although the threat of the U.S. taking unilateral action against Chinese entities remains on the table.

"We want to make sure that China is continuing to implement fully the sanctions regime and that it is a working actively to continue putting pressure on North Korea and not just kind of episodic back and forth that we have seen," Thornton said. "If we see that they are not being implemented then we will again continue to go after those entities ourselves."

Thornton called it "fortuitous" that all of these countries are meeting just after the U.N. has passed sanctions. The U.S. had been pushing to eject North Korea from the meetings, but that did not happen. Still, the U.S. is pushing for this action in the future.

On the sidelines of Tillerson's first day at the conference, he met with counterparts from China, Russia, South Korea and Myanmar.

Before meeting with Tillerson, China's Foreign Minister Wang Yi also had a bilateral meeting with his North Korean counterpart, Ri Yong Ho.

"We had an intensive conversation, China urges North Korea to remain calm in dealing with the recent decision given by the U.N. Security Council," the Chinese minister said. He warned the country not to "provoke the international society's goodwill" with a missile launch or nuclear test.

Wang said the purpose of the sanctions is to bring North Korea to the negotiating table. Yet, the U.S. still says the time is not right for talks, and rejects the Chinese and North Korean-backed freeze-for-freeze proposal. The agreement, allegedly one that would bring North Korea to the table, would halt North Korea's nuclear and ballistic missile tests and require the U.S. to halt its military exercises with South Korea.

Earlier in the week, Tillerson, once again, spoke about the administration's aspiration to sit down with North Korea. But preconditions remain.

"We're trying to convey to the North Koreans we are not your enemy, we are not your threat, but you are presenting an unacceptable threat to us, and we have to respond," Tillerson said. "We would like to sit and have a dialogue with them about the future that will give them the security they seek and the future economic prosperity for North Korea, but that will then promote economic prosperity throughout Northeast Asia."

North Korea's delegation in Manila has not commented on the new sanctions. Before the U.N.'s adoption of the sanctions resolution, however, a North Korean newspaper said that sanctions or nuclear action would lead to a "sea of fire," according to South Korea's Yonhap News Agency.

"The day the U.S. dares tease our nation with a nuclear rod and sanctions, the mainland U.S. will be catapulted into an unimaginable sea of fire," it wrote. "The more the Trump gang strives to break out of today's quagmire, the more our military and people get aroused, giving more reasons for the (North Korean) republic to own nuclear weapons."

The U.S. has not responded to those words.

There are also other topics expected to be addressed at the ASEAN conference, including intensified terror threats in the region and the dispute over the South China Sea.

In his opening remarks at the conference, Tillerson did not reference North Korea by name. Instead, he sought to solidify U.S. commitment to the region as a whole, in referencing areas of mutual security and economic interests.

The State Department asserts that U.S. remains engaged in the South China Sea dispute and is actively supporting the diplomatic process. Thornton said that the U.S. advocates for players in the region to halt activity, including the militarizing of outposts, in an effort to keep diplomacy's wheels churning.

The U.S. is also actively engaged in combating growing terror threats in the region, namely in the southern Philippines. It is expected to be a topic of conversation when Tillerson meets with Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday.

On Sunday, Tillerson made a morning visit to the American Cemetery and Memorial in Manila where he took a tour of the grounds and jotted a note in the guestbook.

"Let us never forget - FREEDOM," he wrote.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/tillerson-north-korea-sanctions-wont-meet-north-korean-counterpart/

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 07:48:16 PM »
You can bet he is working his ass off lately.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2017, 07:51:48 PM »
Wait.  I thought Tillerson quit?? 

No one ever said he quit

Weird you would think that

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2017, 07:57:18 PM »
No one ever said he quit

Weird you would think that

Weird you would post a thread insinuating because Tillerson was "Taking a little time off" meant he was the next to go.

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2017, 05:01:15 AM »
Wouldn't really care too much if Tillerson quit/resigned, etc. Not a big fan of him so far.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2017, 09:23:12 AM »
Weird you would post a thread insinuating because Tillerson was "Taking a little time off" meant he was the next to go.

Why am I not surprised that both you and Bum lack reading comprehension

I didn't insinuate that Tillerson was "taking a little time off"

Heather Nauert, the spokesperson for the State Department was quoted as saying Tillerson "was taking a little time off"

I said "If Tillerson actually steps down how will Trump supporters spin this"

So anyone with average reading comprehension can see that I did not say Tillerson quit.

If I said "how will people react if the pumpkin headed dwarf is crushed by a tractor tire" that is not the same as me saying "the pumpkin headed dwarf was crushed by a tractor tire"

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2017, 09:52:04 AM »
Why am I not surprised that both you and Bum lack reading comprehension

I didn't insinuate that Tillerson was "taking a little time off"

Heather Nauert, the spokesperson for the State Department was quoted as saying Tillerson "was taking a little time off"

I said "If Tillerson actually steps down how will Trump supporters spin this"

So anyone with average reading comprehension can see that I did not say Tillerson quit.

If I said "how will people react if the pumpkin headed dwarf is crushed by a tractor tire" that is not the same as me saying "the pumpkin headed dwarf was crushed by a tractor tire"

Then why even make a thread about it dipshit

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2017, 09:56:28 AM »
Great question

Hmmm, why start a thread on a political discussion board about a story of the newly minted Secretary of State taking time off amid reports he is considering resigning?

Yeah, I guess that isn't really the right kind of story for a political discussion board

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2017, 11:55:55 AM »

lol.  That's why she will always be the Village Idiot. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2017, 12:10:50 PM »
lol.  That's why she will always be the Village Idiot. 

and that's why you always appear to be a certified moron

anyone with the reading comprehension of a 5th grader can understand exactly what I wrote

apparently you and phony coach aren't quite there yet

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2017, 01:29:48 PM »
Slowest resignation ever. 

Tillerson presses Myanmar leader to address 'deeply troubling' allegations of human rights abuses
By NOLAN D. MCCASKILL
09/19/2017

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson on Tuesday discussed with Myanmar leader Aung San Suu Kyi the flood of Rohingya Muslims to Bangladesh, as the refugees seek to flee what the United Nations has called an ethnic cleansing.

“The secretary welcomed the Burmese government’s commitment to end the violence in Rakhine State and to allow those displaced by the violence to return home,” State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert said in a statement, referring to Myanmar by its former name, Burma. “He also urged the Burmese government and military to facilitate humanitarian aid for displaced people in the affected areas, and to address deeply troubling allegations of human rights abuses and violations.”

Villages have been burned down, women have been raped and refugees have accused soldiers of shooting at them as they fled, according to reports. The government of Myanmar said at least 30 percent of its villages in the Rakhine state, which amounts to 175 villages, are empty, and roughly 400 people have been killed. The military has also reportedly laid land mines near Bangladesh’s border to bar refugees from returning.

Aung San Suu Kyi, the de facto head of Myanmar's civilian government, delivered a speech Tuesday before government officials and foreign dignitaries in the country but failed to denounce its military.

“The security forces have been instructed to adhere strictly to the code of conduct in carrying out security operations, to exercise all due restraint and to take full measures to avoid collateral damage and the harming of innocent civilians,” she said.

By signing up you agree to receive email newsletters or alerts from POLITICO. You can unsubscribe at any time.
She did, however, broadly condemn “all human rights violations and unlawful violence,” adding that “we feel deeply for the suffering of all the people caught up in the conflict.”

The United Nations has called the situation in Myanmar “a textbook example of ethnic cleansing.” In an interview with Reuters at the U.N. General Assembly on Monday, Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina said she had spoken to President Donald Trump about the humanitarian crisis and flood of refugees.

“He just asked, ‘How is Bangladesh?’ I said, ‘It’s doing very well, but the only problem that we have is the refugees from Myanmar,’” she recalled. “But he didn’t make any comment about refugees.”

Hasina, who will address UNGA on Thursday, added that the U.S. has already said it won’t allow any refugees. “He already declared his mind,” she said of Trump, “so why I should ask?”

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/19/rex-tillerson-myanmar-human-rights-rohingya-muslims-242885

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2017, 05:26:31 PM »
Slowest resignation ever. 

Tillerson presses Myanmar leader to address 'deeply troubling' allegations of human rights abuses
By NOLAN D. MCCASKILL
09/19/2017

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson on Tuesday discussed with Myanmar leader Aung San Suu Kyi the flood of Rohingya Muslims to Bangladesh, as the refugees seek to flee what the United Nations has called an ethnic cleansing.

“The secretary welcomed the Burmese government’s commitment to end the violence in Rakhine State and to allow those displaced by the violence to return home,” State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert said in a statement, referring to Myanmar by its former name, Burma. “He also urged the Burmese government and military to facilitate humanitarian aid for displaced people in the affected areas, and to address deeply troubling allegations of human rights abuses and violations.”

Villages have been burned down, women have been raped and refugees have accused soldiers of shooting at them as they fled, according to reports. The government of Myanmar said at least 30 percent of its villages in the Rakhine state, which amounts to 175 villages, are empty, and roughly 400 people have been killed. The military has also reportedly laid land mines near Bangladesh’s border to bar refugees from returning.

Aung San Suu Kyi, the de facto head of Myanmar's civilian government, delivered a speech Tuesday before government officials and foreign dignitaries in the country but failed to denounce its military.

“The security forces have been instructed to adhere strictly to the code of conduct in carrying out security operations, to exercise all due restraint and to take full measures to avoid collateral damage and the harming of innocent civilians,” she said.

By signing up you agree to receive email newsletters or alerts from POLITICO. You can unsubscribe at any time.
She did, however, broadly condemn “all human rights violations and unlawful violence,” adding that “we feel deeply for the suffering of all the people caught up in the conflict.”

The United Nations has called the situation in Myanmar “a textbook example of ethnic cleansing.” In an interview with Reuters at the U.N. General Assembly on Monday, Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina said she had spoken to President Donald Trump about the humanitarian crisis and flood of refugees.

“He just asked, ‘How is Bangladesh?’ I said, ‘It’s doing very well, but the only problem that we have is the refugees from Myanmar,’” she recalled. “But he didn’t make any comment about refugees.”

Hasina, who will address UNGA on Thursday, added that the U.S. has already said it won’t allow any refugees. “He already declared his mind,” she said of Trump, “so why I should ask?”

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/19/rex-tillerson-myanmar-human-rights-rohingya-muslims-242885

lmao ;D

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2017, 09:18:31 PM »
and that's why you always appear to be a certified moron

anyone with the reading comprehension of a 5th grader can understand exactly what I wrote

apparently you and phony coach aren't quite there yet

Fuck off you commie bastard
A