Author Topic: Bench Press doesn't work?  (Read 8015 times)

Yanin

• Getbig III
Re: Bench Press doesn't work?
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2017, 09:48:23 PM »

Yanin

• Getbig III
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2017, 09:52:32 PM »
Furthnore real men flat bench on the smith machine

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2017, 02:58:50 AM »
DB press provides a larger degree of freedom of movement - this obviously means that if you're not really paying much attention to how you're doing the lift, you'll likely play to your strengths.  I am a strong bencher but a lot of my power comes from triceps - so I generally hit DB press quite narrow.

Saying that, generally speaking, I think it would be more likely people DB press narrower than their bench, anyway.  If there is no bar locking you in to the starting width, it's a very odd thing to keep your hands as wide as the starting position on a dumbell press. 

Anybody bringing up bar benching range would be wise to remember that big DBs are generally pretty awkward, themselves - their size ensures that your DB presses have almost no chance of technically benching the DB bar itself to your chest. either.  Rubberised DBs are huge or comically wide.

Beware listening to people who say benching is bad.. they mostly fall into groups such as 
1.  People who aren't built to bench (wrapping elbows and wrists for tiny tit weight, complain about delt pain, every workout)
2.  People who don't lift properly or bit off more than they could chew, to ultimate ruin
3.  Weak people
4.  The unlucky (these I give a pass to, it's hard to have adversity and not imagine you're an anomaly)

Each and every person who benches pretty much knows whether they are built for it.  If they are not, they should consider DB Press.  But instead of giving out shit advice aka "don't bench", the proper advice is "consider whether benching is your thing".

Every powerlifter I know benches.  Every powerlifter has to bench in a comp.  Only in bodybuilding circles is bench the devil. 

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2017, 03:30:00 AM »
that powerlifters bench dont surprise me.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2017, 04:04:47 AM »
Arnold mainly did bench presses and developed the most impressive chest ever.  He rarely did DB bench presses.

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2017, 04:56:58 AM »
yes arnolds chest development is clearly because of him doing bench presses

how do we know this? easy. everybody in the world who do bench presses get the chest of arnold.

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2017, 01:47:20 AM »
Bench presses work, everything works if done right.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2017, 03:19:16 AM »
was just watching some of the light guys in the ipf bench and they mostly use as wide a grip as allowed, a big arch and they usually have stumpy arms, so they are moving the bar only a few inches  >:(

too bad that can't do some kind of comp where it's based on total bar movement

Ropo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2017, 05:13:09 AM »
Bench presses work, everything works if done right.

So true, and so hard to understand for most of the people. They don't think at all, it is too difficult for them.

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2017, 05:34:02 AM »
everything works doesnt say anything

it is a useless comment

the follow up question would be does everything work EQUALLY WELL

and does everything that work being EQUALLY SAFE

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2017, 06:06:29 AM »

how do we know this? easy. everybody in the world who do bench presses get the chest of arnold.

You're most likely a training imbecile. 

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2017, 06:21:50 AM »
Every compound movement is better with a barbell than with dumbbells.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2017, 06:35:24 AM »

do you think black dudes would agree  ???

and how about asain turds   ???

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2017, 06:50:22 AM »
do you think black dudes would agree  ???

and how about asain turds   ???

The barbell is the all-time greatest piece of exercise equipment. Nothing is even close:

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2017, 03:44:19 PM »
no

weighted pushups or one arm pushups force the body to recruit more total muscle

end of debate

A lot of people train alone and don't have the ability to do weighted push-ups

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2017, 04:28:14 PM »

why is that

Ropo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2017, 11:10:56 PM »
everything works doesnt say anything

it is a useless comment

the follow up question would be does everything work EQUALLY WELL

and does everything that work being EQUALLY SAFE

Well, after these decades it is obvious that you can't teach people to lift weights, because everyone knows better than yourself, better than Arnold etc.legends and better than anybody else. It is waste of time to try teach people who already knows everything, and when you step in the gym, what you see? People doing 2" squats and leg presses, doing bent over rows while standing up and low rep sets for calfs with enormous weight and 1" range of motion  ;D

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2017, 11:46:10 PM »
why is that

When using heavy dumbbells, a lot of energy is devoted towards keeping them stable. That diverts energy from getting quality muscle contractions. With a rigid bar you don't really have this problem. The value of dumbbells is mainly in isolation exercises where less weight is used and stability isn't as big of an issue.

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2017, 12:27:41 AM »
When using heavy dumbbells, a lot of energy is devoted towards keeping them stable. That diverts energy from getting quality muscle contractions. With a rigid bar you don't really have this problem. The value of dumbbells is mainly in isolation exercises where less weight is used and stability isn't as big of an issue.

i dont think a lot of energy is needed for that.

you can make a case for keeping them stable requires more concentration which is better for overall form and db allows for going deeper involving more muscle along with being a safer exercise overall and something you can do without a spotter.

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2017, 04:53:12 AM »
I have moved to dumbells due to rotator cuff issues. Now i have moved to bench press again, now with reverse grip, due to the worsening of the problem.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2017, 05:28:46 AM »
i dont think a lot of energy is needed for that.

you can make a case for keeping them stable requires more concentration which is better for overall form and db allows for going deeper involving more muscle along with being a safer exercise overall and something you can do without a spotter.

The concentration involved in keeping them stable detracts from the mind muscle link.

The bottom line is that the greater stability of a barbell allows you to use more weight which allows for more powerful contractions.

I'm not saying dumbbells have no place in a workout routine. They can often be the better option for isolation movements and in the case of injury. However, if size, strength, and power are your main goals, you can't beat a barbell.

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2017, 05:46:27 AM »
but even a barbell requires concentration involved keeping it stable shouldn various chest machines be even better?

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2017, 05:51:38 AM »

Yet you do it and your chest sucks, just like the rest of your body, your brain also. The only thing worth notice is your outstanding nose.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2017, 06:18:36 AM »
but even a barbell requires concentration involved keeping it stable shouldn various chest machines be even better?

Fair point. However, pretty much every machine I've ever seen locks you into a movement whereas barbell gives you more freedom to find your groove. Consider smith machine squats versus standard barbell squats.

Ropo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2017, 06:55:33 AM »
I have moved to dumbells due to rotator cuff issues. Now i have moved to bench press again, now with reverse grip, due to the worsening of the problem.

By human anatomy, how your rotator cuff would know if you are using reverse grip or not?