Author Topic: Rugged Impressive Dave Draper shot  (Read 6641 times)

BEEFYHEAVYWEIGHT

• Getbig IV
  • Grimek
Rugged Impressive Dave Draper shot
« on: August 17, 2017, 01:38:52 PM »
I believe from 71 or 72 NABBA show. Draper looks impressive and rugged as fuck...just standing relaxed. One of the most impressive relaxed shots in my opinion. I kinda have always been more impressed with the less than perfect aesthetics of Draper than the more ideal Arnold. Arms just look like they can smash through a brick wall here.

BEEFYHEAVYWEIGHT

• Getbig IV
  • Grimek
Re: Rugged Impressive Dave Draper shot
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 01:39:39 PM »
And another from that day.

BEEFYHEAVYWEIGHT

• Getbig IV
  • Grimek
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 01:47:19 PM »
Another....awesome!

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 01:56:46 PM »
Good vascularity for his time, but his structural flaws were evident next to most '70s guys.

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 12:27:23 PM »
Even as he aged, he maintained that rugged look, heck of a nice man as well.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 12:35:36 PM »
He seemed to maintain his physique well... somewhat of a "nature-boy".

Skylge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 01:03:30 PM »
Nice guy, but BB wise a terrible physique. Countless flaws

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 05:02:30 PM »
Nice guy, but BB wise a terrible physique. Countless flaws

I'd take that terrible build any day.

BEEFYHEAVYWEIGHT

• Getbig IV
  • Grimek
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 05:02:59 PM »
Great shot here from 1970 of Arnold, Draper and Park. Clearly all of them have unique structures. Nice to see muscle built but still each guy has a unique look. Something we no longer see.

BEEFYHEAVYWEIGHT

• Getbig IV
  • Grimek
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 05:04:46 PM »
How many of todays guys could pull off this look in jeans. Dave had a phenomenal build.

BEEFYHEAVYWEIGHT

• Getbig IV
  • Grimek
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 05:07:30 PM »
Always loved this training shot of Dave from 1975. 5 years after he retired from competition. Dave got even more ripped and kept that look year round. This was from an MTI mag from 75. Taken at Mid City gym in NYC. Crazy lean...Crazy lats!

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2017, 05:18:54 PM »
Draper has very a thick bone structure, one capable of supporting strong tendons and powerful, useful muscle.  His wrists were far larger than the norm. He admits to having problems in his youth but now, along with Pearl, is a gentleman ambassador for bodybuilding and healthful living.

NelsonMuntz

• Getbig V
  • Getbigs Most Positive Member March&October 2017
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2017, 05:23:17 PM »
Good vascularity for his time, but his structural flaws were evident next to most '70s guys.

with all due respect I disagree with the "structural flaw" nonsense. The guy had a fantastic physique and what you call structural flaws I call being unique.

Bodybuilding is not just about having a perfect structure, it is about making the best of what you have, something that is lost on people who nitpick the fuck out of physiques over nonsense that has nothing to do with bodybuilding overall. On an olympia stage perhaps, but you are talking about 10-20 people in the whole world at any one time. And even then the best structure has not always won the olympia. In fact the last 2 times an Olympia had a perfect structure was when Haney and Ronnie were during their reigns. All the others, Dorian, Dexter, Jay, Phil, all awesome bodybuilders but with structural flaws galore. Does not change their awesomeness

The guy was Mr America and Universe, must have been something about his physique that despite his "structural flaws" won him over such a fan base and the fact that He was basically looked at as the Arnold of his era
"

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2017, 05:27:49 PM »
Look at him next to arnold and even reg park. He had a wide waist. Iffy chest, longish legs. Im not saying he sucks, but i remember someone saying he was a "60s" physique in the seventies. He wasnt quite up to the par of his peers.

BEEFYHEAVYWEIGHT

• Getbig IV
  • Grimek
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2017, 05:37:25 PM »
with all due respect I disagree with the "structural flaw" nonsense. The guy had a fantastic physique and what you call structural flaws I call being unique.

Bodybuilding is not just about having a perfect structure, it is about making the best of what you have, something that is lost on people who nitpick the fuck out of physiques over nonsense that has nothing to do with bodybuilding overall. On an olympia stage perhaps, but you are talking about 10-20 people in the whole world at any one time. And even then the best structure has not always won the olympia. In fact the last 2 times an Olympia had a perfect structure was when Haney and Ronnie were during their reigns. All the others, Dorian, Dexter, Jay, Phil, all awesome bodybuilders but with structural flaws galore. Does not change their awesomeness

The guy was Mr America and Universe, must have been something about his physique that despite his "structural flaws" won him over such a fan base and the fact that He was basically looked at as the Arnold of his era
So well put. Agree 10000%!!!

BEEFYHEAVYWEIGHT

• Getbig IV
  • Grimek
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2017, 06:43:38 PM »
Draper interview and training from 1987...ESPN's American Muscle Mag. Good stuff on here. I believe he was 50 years old. Enjoy.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2017, 07:28:23 AM »
better than today's bloats IMHO
F

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2017, 12:38:42 PM »
Long after many of the current stars are forgotten Draper will be in any history book written on Bodybuilding.

MORTALCOIL

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2017, 12:41:24 PM »
Great build but it always looked like some creature was trying to break free from his upper abs.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2017, 01:58:06 PM »
Long after many of the current stars are forgotten Draper will be in any history book written on Bodybuilding.

Damn straight, brother.  Well said.

Fallsview

• Getbig V
  • Mr. Gulf Coast 1994,95,99
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2017, 02:16:36 PM »
FULL BLOWN!

STAY POSITIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!