Author Topic: Danny Padilla interview - 1981 Mr. Olympia  (Read 9602 times)

Natural_O

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Danny Padilla interview - 1981 Mr. Olympia
« on: September 17, 2017, 08:32:07 AM »
Legendary Bodybuilder Danny Padilla and former IFBB Judge Jim Rockell join me for Season 3, Episode 3 of the Bodybuilding Legends Podcast. Danny talks about his great career in the sport including training at the original Gold's Gym, his role in the movie "Pumping Iron" and his controversial finish at the 1981 Mr. Olympia - http://bodybuildinglegendsshow.com/the_podcast_test/season-3-episode-3-danny-padilla-and-jim-rockell/

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
Re: Danny Padilla interview - 1981 Mr. Olympia
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 05:51:08 PM »
Legendary Bodybuilder Danny Padilla and former IFBB Judge Jim Rockell join me for Season 3, Episode 3 of the Bodybuilding Legends Podcast. Danny talks about his great career in the sport including training at the original Gold's Gym, his role in the movie "Pumping Iron" and his controversial finish at the 1981 Mr. Olympia - http://bodybuildinglegendsshow.com/the_podcast_test/season-3-episode-3-danny-padilla-and-jim-rockell/

As great as Danny was in '81, Tom Platz was better imo.

BEEFYHEAVYWEIGHT

• Getbig IV
  • Grimek
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 06:47:35 PM »
Too bad Padilla always posed to "Short People" song...and kinda posed like a fool. Too comical alwaya. It really took away from his body. It highlighted his short height.

Natural_O

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 09:41:55 PM »
Too bad Padilla always posed to "Short People" song...and kinda posed like a fool. Too comical alwaya. It really took away from his body. It highlighted his short height.

In the interview, Danny talks about the first time he posed to that song at the 1979 Night of the Champions and he got a standing ovation. I don't think it made him look like a fool, just that he had a good sense of humor about being shorter.

BEEFYHEAVYWEIGHT

• Getbig IV
  • Grimek
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 10:09:38 PM »
In the interview, Danny talks about the first time he posed to that song at the 1979 Night of the Champions and he got a standing ovation. I don't think it made him look like a fool, just that he had a good sense of humor about being shorter.
I remember Danny posing to it at his comeback at Night of Champions that Benaziza won. Danny looked awesome.  Beyond awesome. ...but people were laughing at the routine. Yes...it was light and he had a great sense of humor about it....but it was too comical and his transitions were not smooth. He was no Labrada in that regard. But I digress....Danny is a great. And thank you for all of your incredible interviews. Just watched your Phil Williams one. Awesome John!!!

Natural_O

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 04:40:29 AM »
I remember Danny posing to it at his comeback at Night of Champions that Benaziza won. Danny looked awesome.  Beyond awesome. ...but people were laughing at the routine. Yes...it was light and he had a great sense of humor about it....but it was too comical and his transitions were not smooth. He was no Labrada in that regard. But I digress....Danny is a great. And thank you for all of your incredible interviews. Just watched your Phil Williams one. Awesome John!!!

I didn't know Danny used that routine for the Night of the Champions in 1990 as well. You're right, can you imagine how incredible Danny would have looked if he would have used more powerful music like Labrada did? I would have loved to have seen him in that contest.

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 05:06:42 AM »
As great as Danny was in '81, Tom Platz was better imo.

X2.

WooSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH H

SilverSpoon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 07:12:01 AM »
Roger Schwab, former IFBB head judge said that Danny was the most complete flawless bodybuilder he had ever seen in person.

Natural_O

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 08:39:46 AM »
Roger Schwab, former IFBB head judge said that Danny was the most complete flawless bodybuilder he had ever seen in person.

I interviewed Roger on a previous show about the 1981 Mr. Olympia - http://bodybuildinglegendsshow.com/podcast/

Natural_O

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 01:18:31 PM »
One of the best bodybuilding pics ever

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2017, 04:14:20 PM »
Natural O include a little more on training with your interviews. What split, how many sets a body part and so on. Interview after interview I hear just about nothing about how they trained.

Simple Simon

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 03:21:03 AM »
Natural O include a little more on training with your interviews. What split, how many sets a body part and so on. Interview after interview I hear just about nothing about how they trained.

who cares how they trained, all training works, just stress your muscles and let nature take its course.

Much better to listen to stories about their life and the shows they did.

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2017, 11:21:39 AM »
who cares how they trained, all training works, just stress your muscles and let nature take its course.

We need to know if he bench pressed with barbells or dumbbells

JAGO

• Getbig IV
  • Biden/Harris 2020
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2017, 11:58:55 AM »

Agreed, however what always took away from this series of pics ( 81 O ) is Danny looks like he's wearing some borrowed trunks.

It was a great interview.

J

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2017, 12:19:14 PM »
We need to know if he bench pressed with barbells or dumbbells

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
  • Cruising on caffeine and blasting with melatonin
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2017, 12:24:50 PM »

I don't know what the current criteria is but you know that back then the posing round didn't factor heavily into the scoring. it was more or less for the fans. the callouts and comparisons were the points counted.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2017, 05:29:20 PM »

I do. I'd like to know what their split was?  Trained body parts once, twice or three times a week? One or two sets to failure or 6 sets per exercise?  Two, three or four exercises a body part?  If bodybuilding is a sport it's what they did in the gym.  I would like to know.  Surely your training is loosely based on someone that came before you. What they do in the gym is the essence of the activity next to drug use.

Natural_O

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2017, 06:56:41 PM »
I don't know what the current criteria is but you know that back then the posing round didn't factor heavily into the scoring. it was more or less for the fans. the callouts and comparisons were the points counted.

In the '70's and '80's, they did score all three rounds, symmetry, mandatory poses and posing routines.

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2017, 09:32:10 PM »
The real giant killer.

Trev

• Getbig IV
  • Bodybuilding The Old School Way - Train, Eat, Rest
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2017, 02:43:21 AM »

Completely agree

NotMrAverage

• Getbig IV
  • SCHPORT
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2017, 07:20:37 AM »
Too bad he was not taken more serious because of his short stature. He did not look very short standing to himself. Only to others. Very good. Nice thin waist and everything.
MIRAGETROPIN

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
  • Cruising on caffeine and blasting with melatonin
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2017, 07:52:51 AM »
In the '70's and '80's, they did score all three rounds, symmetry, mandatory poses and posing routines.

at one point weren't the posing routines not scored? I thought it wasn't until the early to mid 80s that the posing round started carrying more points.

Natural_O

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2017, 08:46:10 AM »
at one point weren't the posing routines not scored? I thought it wasn't until the early to mid 80s that the posing round started carrying more points.

I remember the Olympia in the late '70's was scored in all three rounds. At the prejudging, each competitor would come out and do their posing routine as part of the judging. They would repeat the posing routines at night for the finals. They used a points system then so the most you could score in a round was 100 points (20 max points from 5 judges) and 300 points was a perfect score. Mentzer scored the first 300 points at the 1978 Mr. Universe and Padilla scored 300 points at the 1979 Night of the Champions.

Natural_O

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2017, 08:52:18 AM »
1980 Olympia score sheets

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2017, 07:10:19 PM »
Great interview, thanks for sharing!

I love that Jim Rockell referred to today's bodybuilders as "Transformers."  ;D ;D ;D