Author Topic: When the IFBB split into IFBB Pro League and IFBB Amateur 12 years ago  (Read 2025 times)

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!

Interesting note that I received today... when the IFBB did separate into two entities.

"It seems that the so-called “split” between the IFBB Pro League and the IFBB Amateur actually occurred 12 years ago. Further, that the split was in fact Ben Weider’s idea to separate the IFBB.  The split actually occurred at the IFBB annual general meeting held in Shanghai, China on November 27th, 2005. Fifty eight countries were present and voted unanimously to separate the amateur and professional divisions and to create an entirely new organization called “IFBB Professional League”, a.k.a. “IFBB Pro League”."

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
Re: When the IFBB split into IFBB Pro League and IFBB Amateur 12 years ago
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 08:42:52 PM »
Interesting note that I received today... when the IFBB did separate into two entities.

"It seems that the so-called “split” between the IFBB Pro League and the IFBB Amateur actually occurred 12 years ago. Further, that the split was in fact Ben Weider’s idea to separate the IFBB.  The split actually occurred at the IFBB annual general meeting held in Shanghai, China on November 27th, 2005. Fifty eight countries were present and voted unanimously to separate the amateur and professional divisions and to create an entirely new organization called “IFBB Professional League”, a.k.a. “IFBB Pro League”."

Why is Jim Manion so disrespectful to people?  My guess is that he enjoys bossing around massive alpha males who would split him in half in any other context.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 08:49:59 PM »
Hence the reason I was so confused. Back when this happened (12 years ago) I was at a show talking to JM and he told me that his dad was just appointed as Pres. of the IFBB Pro League and the way I took it, it was the Weiders that appointed him.  So basically back then nothing really changed as far as affecting the competitors from the IFBB amateur but when Rafael no longer wished to have the IFBB Pro league involved then Jim Manion will just start putting on his own pro qualifiers.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 08:52:04 PM »
Why is Jim Manion so disrespectful to people?  My guess is that he enjoys bossing around massive alpha males who would split him in half in any other context.

I've talked to Jim Manion plenty of times even outside of the bodybuilding scene and he was always very cordial to me.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 09:25:03 PM »

My wife (Chamorrita way back in the day) was head of the IFBB South Pacific (Guam) just said after I read her this that this was was and should have been known. Ron, are you presenting this as something new?

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 07:25:38 AM »
Jim Manion: "Matt, That would be up to the promoter if he will permit you to take footage at the expo. I sincerely doubt they are going to allow someone with a camera to be filming at the expo. You will have to check with the individual promoters of the events. Jim Manion"

I then sent him an e-mail stating that I received full permission to cover the entire expo AND get backstage access to the Brehm Room at the Veteran's Memorial in Columbus, LOL.  He was obviously trying to discourage me from getting coverage, in a very passive aggressive way at that, knowing full well that the YouTubers were destroying the magazines, as I said above.

(Edited)

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 08:40:18 AM »
Why is Jim Manion so disrespectful to people?  My guess is that he enjoys bossing around massive alpha males who would split him in half in any other context.

In the last 10+ years in which I have had more direct contact with him, he is always respectful.  Perhaps if you attack him or his family, he takes it more personal.  Or if you ask him of something and you don't get it, you think it is disrespectful.  It is a business too.  He is the president if that organization too.

Jim Manion: "Matt, That would be up to the promoter if he will permit you to take footage at the expo. I sincerely doubt they are going to allow someone with a camera to be filming at the expo. You will have to check with the individual promoters of the events. Jim Manion"

I then sent him an e-mail stating that I received full permission to cover the entire expo AND get backstage access to the Brehm Room at the Veteran's Memorial in Columbus, LOL.  He was obviously trying to discourage me from getting coverage, in a very passive aggressive way at that, knowing full well that the YouTubers were destroying the magazines, as I said above.

Once again, you seem to think this is disrespectful because you have a vendetta against people. Stop.

The first thing says that if you are filming at a private expo with a real video camera (you know, the big ones, the ones with the lens, lights, two people crew, you need to get permission from the promoter. Hell, in any type of expo you need that. ANY - Comic Con, NFL Expo and so on. Now, in terms of small video camera, fan based, that is a different story. We all know that.

As for getting access to the Brehm room at the time (no longer there because the venue was demolished), if Lorz gave you a press pass for the Brehm room (Lorz being the ones that give out media passes at the Arnold), then you were fine. Jeez - you act like you never got a press pass outside of the bodybuilding industry.  Have you ever tried to get one for a music concert - really really hard.  Try a movie premiere - even harder. You need to be on assignment mostly. So enough, for years complaining about the same incident when all he did was tell you matter of fact and emailed pretty nice to you.

If you try to get a press pass at a local NPC event, you need to go through the promoter there too. Each promoter has its own policy.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 08:43:57 AM »
I've talked to Jim Manion plenty of times even outside of the bodybuilding scene and he was always very cordial to me.

my bet is he was nice to you coz you are in fact a nice decent guy (no homo)

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 08:50:57 AM »
My wife (Chamorrita way back in the day) was head of the IFBB South Pacific (Guam) just said after I read her this that this was was and should have been known. Ron, are you presenting this as something new?

It should of been known, but a lot of people have told me that they did not know this at all - they thought it was the same group.  So just making it more clear. Remember, a lot of people who have joined our sport in the last 12 years never knew anything about any of this - just that they wanted to compete, etc.

dan18

• Getbig V
  • I DID WHAT I DID BECAUSE I DO WHAT I WANT.
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2017, 10:21:48 AM »

funny this was never mentioned on the news oooh wait ;D
p

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2017, 04:49:39 PM »
my bet is he was nice to you coz you are in fact a nice decent guy (no homo)

Exactly. When it comes to business he's not going to spend all day chatting with you in person or an email. I ran into him once at a Starbucks and we were both waiting for our order he was very chatty and we talked prob about 5 to 10 minutes about everything but bodybuilding. Matt just isn't mature enough to deal with people in the proper manner.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2017, 04:55:00 PM »

(Edited)

So you're still but hurt, right?

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2017, 06:45:42 PM »
Hence the reason I was so confused. Back when this happened (12 years ago) I was at a show talking to JM and he told me that his dad was just appointed as Pres. of the IFBB Pro League and the way I took it, it was the Weiders that appointed him.  So basically back then nothing really changed as far as affecting the competitors from the IFBB amateur but when Rafael no longer wished to have the IFBB Pro league involved then Jim Manion will just start putting on his own pro qualifiers.

Well, how does anyone remove Manion from that position? Can't be done. The Pro League is only a business. It was set up to make money. Best way to do that is to have power. So they control the muscleheads with rules such as pro cards, etc. Lots of money to be made now so this is behind the power struggle we see. Bodybuilding has always been run by questionable people. Nothing has changed. Everyone gets what they deserve and they deserve what they get.