Author Topic: Sergio Oliva Jr. Profiled in FLEX Magazine by Peter McGough.  (Read 7272 times)

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
Sergio Oliva Jr. Profiled in FLEX Magazine by Peter McGough.
« on: October 14, 2017, 12:28:08 AM »
In the latest FLEX magazine that I have seen - October 2017 - Sergio was recognized as the rookie of the year, although I suspect that is not an official designation.

Incidentally, Peter McGough is back with FLEX magazine, now that Muscular Development magazine is basically insolvent.  I told Ron Harris I would contribute to MD for free, but some dick on Getbig complained to him over my being "racist".  ::)  Say what you will about me, I am an articulate writer, and have been around the expo and pro scene long enough to have a wealth of knowledge to write bodybuilding articles about.

Anyway, I think - since Sergio Jr. is most likely reading this right now  ;D - that comparisons to his father REALLY have to stop being made.  Admittedly, I had/have a similar relationship with my mother, which is just a nagging/annoying relationship more than a healthy parent/child relationship.

Sergio Jr. definitely admires his father's genetics, and takes after him in certain key ways, but his father did virtually nothing to help him get where he is.  I will say that by virtue of being his father's namesake, and doing the "Myth" pose, that it likely vaulted him to 1st place, when allegedly - according to Sergio Jr. himself in the Skype interview that Dave Palumbo did with him post-NY PRO win, Sasan Heirati looked good enough for 1st.  I believe is what Sergio said anyway, but I can't recall.  I will say this - for 6th place, Sasan Heirati looked VERY good, and obviously name recognition - or lack of it - played a factor in these placings.

So sure - Sergio Jr. benefits from his father's good name with the fans, even though apparently he wasn't really that nice of a guy to people in the industry, so that's good.  But in terms of helping Sergio Jr. become what he is - aside from passing on his genetics, NO, he did not help Sergio Jr. with this.  Shawn Ray had a good interview with Sergio Jr. also, for MD, which covered this.

PS - How is Peter McGough doing?  Is his cancer in remission?  Nice to see him back in FLEX.  To be honest, I was surprised to see that FLEX magazine was still a thing.  I found it at a Canadian trucker breakfast empire called "Husky".  It has a mix of old and new photos, and photos of Men's Physique competitors also.  There is a photo of Chris Cook doing behind the neck presses with 365, from like 2004.  ;D

PPS - A lot of pros and industry insiders and others read Getbig.  If you make informative posts like this one and try to objectively analyze pro contests and events as best as possible, people will respect you.  I would like to get back to YouTube soon, but I also encourage my fellow Getbiggers to do so.  After watching the Tommywishbone podcast with Mark Bell I realize there are a lot of knowledgeable guys on here, and whether anyone wants to admit it or not - Getbig is read A LOT in the industry.

Tha Grim Lifter

• Getbig IV
Re: Sergio Oliva Jr. Profiled in FLEX Magazine by Peter McGough.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 03:30:44 AM »
You are racist. You talk about yourself all the time and you're white.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 04:48:30 AM »
Meh... he's no "Myth"

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 06:39:09 AM »
Meh... he's no "Myth"

most definitely not - Also Sassan Heirati should of placed ahead of him at that NY pro show.

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 07:30:07 AM »
They will never stop pushing the angle of his last name because thats all they really got with him.... Doesnt look like sergio sr, especially when watered down by modern drug stacks. Will end up looking like all the rest

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 08:03:17 AM »
They will never stop pushing the angle of his last name because thats all they really got with him.... Doesnt look like sergio sr, especially when watered down by modern drug stacks. Will end up looking like all the rest
arms, quads, calves are almost ripped from his old man. The taper is not.

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 08:13:33 AM »
arms, quads, calves are almost ripped from his old man. The taper is not.
Yes more long waisted than his dad. Also a couple inches taller.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 03:19:34 PM »
You are racist. You talk about yourself all the time and you're white.

;D ;D ;D

Yes, that does constitute racism in 2017.  In 1987, it would have meant actually treating someone of a different race poorly, for no reason other than the fact that they are of a different race.  And this definition would apply to any race, not just White people.  The definition has changed.  Now it's basically a "fact" that only White people can be racist, although that is not the dictionary definition of racism, which says that stating a certain race is better than another is racist.  So if I say Blacks are better at sprinting overall, that's racism?  Geez, and here I was thinking that was just common sense and reality.  :P

most definitely not - Also Sassan Heirati should of placed ahead of him at that NY pro show.

That's amazing where lack of name recognition can get you.  Imagine arguably being the winner, but placing 6th because you lacked name recognition.  The good news is that for his next contest, he will most likely place much, much higher as a result of being robbed here.

I think his arms in particular looks very much like his father's.  As was said in this thread, he is a couple of inches taller than his dad [6'0, compared to 5'10].  Being at the six foot mark may be a hindrance for him.  He will do well in pro shows, but may be expected to push his body weight to 300-lb due to his height, which is a big job for any bodybuilder, at least when that 300-lb is contest weight.

I think if he can bring up his lats a little, and bring down his waist a little - if these things are even possible - and combine that with improved posing, and his Myth pose will look closer to his dad's.  He just does not quite look close enough to his dad to pull it off like his dad did, but I can see it getting pretty close, all things considered.  I think in the arms, you really see where his dad's genetics shine.

dearth

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2017, 04:22:12 PM »
;D ;D ;D

Yes, that does constitute racism in 2017.  In 1987, it would have meant actually treating someone of a different race poorly, for no reason other than the fact that they are of a different race.  And this definition would apply to any race, not just White people.  The definition has changed.  Now it's basically a "fact" that only White people can be racist, although that is not the dictionary definition of racism, which says that stating a certain race is better than another is racist.  So if I say Blacks are better at sprinting overall, that's racism?  Geez, and here I was thinking that was just common sense and reality.  :P

actually, if you sympathize with neo nazis that would make you racist.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2017, 05:56:55 PM »
Sasan has an odd structure. Shorter "T Rex" arms, which make his frame look odd in certain poses. Now, you are correct that name rec does play into it, but Sergio had a better flowing physique.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2017, 11:43:41 PM »
according to leroy colbert sergio was a dickhead asshole, while the great Sege Nubret was a cool cat  8)

Taffin

• Getbig V
  • Training out my gay penor...
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2017, 12:15:50 AM »
Sasan has an odd structure. Shorter "T Rex" arms, which make his frame look odd in certain poses. Now, you are correct that name rec does play into it, but Sergio had a better flowing physique.

Wow you're right about his arms - I hadn't really picked up on that but in some shots it's quite apparent:

T

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2017, 12:45:48 AM »
Wow you're right about his arms - I hadn't really picked up on that but in some shots it's quite apparent:

Visions of Mark Dugdale in that shot.  ;D

Which is not necessarily a bad thing - Mark was an excellent bodybuilder, but also had the T-Rex arms thing going on.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2017, 12:56:28 AM »

after wideass hips the second worst curse is a longass torso

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2017, 01:31:08 AM »

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2017, 03:52:55 AM »
Mental Illness of Piss Peace... ^^

thatrandomguy#7

• Getbig II
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2017, 05:29:29 AM »
name rec etc....who is better/will have more success, young Oliva or young Labrada?

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2017, 05:36:50 AM »
name rec etc....who is better/will have more success, young Oliva or young Labrada?
Young Oliva of course. Young Labrada doesn't have his father's flow.

thatrandomguy#7

• Getbig II
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2017, 05:46:39 AM »
Young Oliva of course. Young Labrada doesn't have his father's flow.

agree on the flow comment. they try to 'market' Hunter as a bigger better version of Lee but nah.

but then again Sergio Jr doesn't have his old man's flow either.

both sons I think are fairly generic looking modern bodybuilders where as their dads had distinct qualities and were legends, icons of the sport.   

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2017, 06:59:39 AM »
agree on the flow comment. they try to 'market' Hunter as a bigger better version of Lee but nah.

but then again Sergio Jr doesn't have his old man's flow either.

both sons I think are fairly generic looking modern bodybuilders where as their dads had distinct qualities and were legends, icons of the sport.   

Sadly, I think that is right - being half their mother, genetically speaking, did not help them.

That said, we will only know for sure once they ramp up the gear use.

BEEFYHEAVYWEIGHT

• Getbig IV
  • Grimek
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2017, 07:30:04 AM »
Hopefully Sergio Jr....doesnt beat his wife like his father did. Or else he will get shot in the pecs like his father did by his wife in 86.

Simple Simon

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2017, 12:40:45 PM »
Sadly, I think that is right - being half their mother, genetically speaking, did not help them.

these guys are pretty much maxed out already, huge dosages doesn't do shit if you don't respond to moderate dosages.

Trev

• Getbig IV
  • Bodybuilding The Old School Way - Train, Eat, Rest
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2017, 07:40:35 AM »

Junior shows how incredible senior was as he doesn't have senior's upper body mass despite all the modern drugs

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2017, 10:36:09 AM »
Junior shows how incredible senior was as he doesn't have senior's upper body mass despite all the modern drugs
QFT.

DooM_

• Getbig III
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2017, 11:30:35 AM »

Sergio already looked like something else when he started out