Author Topic: Sergio sr vs Sergio jr who would win right now both in there prime?  (Read 14770 times)

chess315

Sergio sr is my pic he still drawfs jr

Dan-O

• Getbig V
Re: Sergio sr vs Sergio jr who would win right now both in there prime?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 12:42:54 PM »

Sergio Sr. has better structure than his son.  Same thing with Jon Loyd and his son Bostin--the genetics got a little diluted when they were passed down to the next generation.

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 12:44:30 PM »
contest condition JR
Everything else SR.

NotMrAverage

• Getbig IV
  • SCHPORT
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 12:51:03 PM »
Sergio senior. I think its a muscle contest after all.
MIRAGETROPIN

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 01:29:10 PM »
Sr.. Not even close.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 02:07:07 PM »
contest condition JR
Everything else SR.
I agree................Goo d to see ya` back Chess!  :)

Iceman1981

• Getbig V
  • www.LegendsOfBodybuilding.com
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 03:10:47 PM »
contest condition JR
Everything else SR.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^

thatrandomguy#7

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 03:33:16 PM »
current judging standards, next Mr O....they tie for last.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 03:55:25 PM »
current judging standards, next Mr O....they tie for last.
WELCOME TO THE THUNDERDOME............. ........................ ....FUCKFACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111

thatrandomguy#7

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 04:35:52 PM »
humbled

PellyBelly

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 04:40:13 PM »
WELCOME TO THE THUNDERDOME............. ........................ ....FUCKFACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111

pretty pretty pretty disappointed,..........I didnt get this

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 04:56:39 PM »
If you think jr is better, you're essentially saying he's Schwarzenegger tier, better than over half of all the Mr olympias. Now think just how asinine your question is.

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2017, 05:00:01 PM »

Pics or it doesn't exist.

Natural_O

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2017, 08:14:41 PM »
Sergio in his prime was something to see. Of course, the condition requirements were not as strict 40 years ago (no one was judging ripped glutes). But Sergio Sr. had such freaky proportions that you had to see it in person to appreciate it.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2017, 08:21:33 PM »
What were their respective contest weights?

Junior would beat senior under current standards simply due to conditioning. Senior may look bigger in pics but in a direct comparison I think it would be the other way around. Remember the pool stick pic of senior? He was a tiny tit... when I first saw it as a kid I thought he was monstrous.

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2017, 08:36:39 PM »
Sergio at the 1972 Olympia in Essen, Germany, where he placed 2nd to Arnold.  Nobody looked like this before or since.  Unreal.

thatrandomguy#7

• Getbig II
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2017, 08:37:42 PM »
Sergio in his prime was something to see. Of course, the condition requirements were not as strict 40 years ago (no one was judging ripped glutes). But Sergio Sr. had such freaky proportions that you had to see it in person to appreciate it.
so you saw in person?

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2017, 08:42:33 PM »
Sergio Sr. has better structure than his son.  Same thing with Jon Loyd and his son Bostin--the genetics got a little diluted when they were passed down to the next generation.

Agreed.  Product of being 50% their mother.

What were their respective contest weights?

Junior would beat senior under current standards simply due to conditioning. Senior may look bigger in pics but in a direct comparison I think it would be the other way around. Remember the pool stick pic of senior? He was a tiny tit... when I first saw it as a kid I thought he was monstrous.

Haha, great post.  I was going to quote illuminati's post, but yours is more detailed.  Exactly correct - Sergio Jr. would win in a 2017, due to superiority of conditioning, no question about it.  I don't think people quite realize how off bodybuilders 40 years ago were compared to those of today.  If Arnold from the 1975 Mr. Universe showed up today, he would place last at the Mr. Olympia, unless someone came in considerably off, or unless they gave an invite to another Master's competitor or something like that.  Sure, some of his individual body parts would be the best - although honestly, the only part I muscle group I could think of for Arnold would be chest - but he would still place last.

I think Arnold at his best would likely be able to turn pro today - as I do believe he could beat, say, Chris Bumstead he turned pro by winning the North Americans, but Arnold would not place well at the Mr. Olympia today.

Likewise for Sergio Sr. - the question asked wasn't which one had better potential, it was who would win, both in their prime?  The answer to THAT question is Sergio Jr., obviously - the disparity in conditioning would be the nail in the coffin for Sergio Sr.

That being said, I heard somewhere - possibly even from Sergio Jr. in an interview - that Sergio Sr. would often eat pizza and donuts leading up to a contest.  Meaning that he didn't know how to properly diet, and if he did have solely access to a modern bodybuilding contest diet - not even the drugs, just the diet plan - he would likely be able to match or surpass the conditioning of Sergio Jr. and beat him.  The fact that Sergio Sr. got into the conditioning he did while still eating junk leading right up to the contest speaks volumes for his genetics, and no doubt, cutting some of those items out [assuming it wouldn't mentally stop him from competing due to feelings of scarcity] would likely vault him ahead in the placings, and under such a modern diet protocol, I do think he could match his son on conditioning, and beat him in a 2017 contest.

Let's be clear about one thing - modern drugs help the most for gaining size.  Bodybuilders started growing bigger than ever when Dorian started taking home his Sandows.  Prior to that, the top conditioning we have ever seen had already been achieved - Rich Gaspari being an example of that.  So modern drugs have produced far bigger bodybuilders, but not necessarily far more conditioned bodybuilders.  Put another way, the advantage of modern drugs is more in terms of size than in terms of conditioning.  Bodybuilders have been ripped for a long time.  Yes, things have been brought to a new level with modern drugs, but not as drastically as the increases in size, IMO.

So I do think Sergio Sr., with a cleaner diet, could have had the conditioning necessary to beat Sergio Jr. today.  But in their respective *actual* iterations, I would have to give it to Sergio Jr., based on conditioning.  Also, Sergio Sr. was 5'9 or 5'10, whereas Sergio Jr. is 6'0 with bigger legs.  Put them next to one another and, yes, Sergio Jr. would be bigger than his father.  Sergio Sr. could still win as the smaller bodybuilder assuming equal or better conditioning - think Phil Heath vs. Big Ramy, where Phil wins, largely on the strength of his conditioning - but since Sergio Sr. never achieved that conditioning, we have to compare the two based on what Sergio Sr. actually brought to the table - and on the strength of that physique, Junior beats Senior - not to say that Senior wasn't amazing, because he definitely was.

The question asked wasn't "Which Sergio has the better structure?", in which case, I think the answer is obvious - Sergio Sr.  Also the same answer as the question "Who has the better potential in bodybuilding?"  But we need to compare the two Sergios for what they actually are/were, not what we think they/Sergio Sr. could have been.

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2017, 09:21:13 PM »
Most people don't even try the victory pose so the kid is pretty good. No way have the same waist but he got the arms.

johnny1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2017, 09:39:32 PM »
Sergio Sr was incredible for ANY GENERATION. Your question is a moot point that’s like asking if a Prime 1935-1936 Jesse Owens could beat a Prime 1983-1984 Carl Lewis.

The facts are on a EVEN PLAYING FIELD, same nutrition same drugs or none @ all, same training systems, same shoes etc a 1983-1984 Carl Lewis under those conditions would not of run 9.92 or less @ the 1936 Olympic Games in Berlin.

a 2017 Pro NY Sergio Jr under the same Conditions his father and Arnold had @ the 1972 Mr Olympia, same training, nutrition, same drugs, etc...do you think he could of beaten Sergio snr?

Below is more than likely Sergio seniors best condition (give or take) in Japan 1972...feathered delts in 1972...who else had that type of conditioning back in the early 70s... when in shape Sergio was ahead of his time just like Arnold was, under the same timeframe, same conditions, and era imo Sergio Jr would never have beaten his father or Arnold.

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2017, 09:57:33 PM »
Sergio Sr. was a freak of nature.  Easily 20 yrs ahead of his time.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2017, 11:24:01 PM »
johnny1 - great post.  Thanks for posting that picture.  I knew that Sergio had gotten into very good condition before, but I never knew that he had delts that feathered before.

I agree with your assessment regarding genetics.  I think it's even possible that Sergio Sr. had better genetics than Ronnie Coleman.  That's saying a lot of course, but I don't see why Sergio Sr. couldn't have put on 30-lb of muscle combined with superior conditioning with access to newer drugs and a better diet plan - perhaps with the help of a coach doing the thinking for him, just as his son has Chris Aceto for that.

Speaking of that - in order to be a diet coach in the bodybuilding industry, do you just sort of go after the big names and offer to help them, and then free-ride off the success of their work ethic?  So for example, start with someone at the Nationals level, then as your name grows, attract better and better competitors, and just give them cookie cutter diets, all the while building your own reputation?

...or are Chris Aceto and others like him as good as they say?

In any case, I think that Sergio Sr., with a diet coach, and adherence to said diet, would be able to do EXTREMELY well.

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2017, 07:05:32 AM »
I saw Sergio Sr. Guest pose in 85, way past his prime. Had to be seen to believed. It's unimaginable what he would look like with current drugs and diet.

Natural_O

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2017, 07:09:47 AM »
so you saw in person?

Yes, the very first contest I went to see, the 1976 AAU Mr. Tri-State in Chicago, Sergio was the guest poser. He was a little smooth but his freaky proportions were crazy. Tiny waist and monster arms.

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2017, 07:22:34 AM »
Yes, the very first contest I went to see, the 1976 AAU Mr. Tri-State in Chicago, Sergio was the guest poser. He was a little smooth but his freaky proportions were crazy. Tiny waist and monster arms.
Would have loved to have seen him then. Sergio undoubtedly had the best genetics for bodybuilding ever.