Author Topic: Arnold Schwarzenegger at Joe Weiders Memorial 2013  (Read 1753 times)

mryorkielover

• Getbig IV
Arnold Schwarzenegger at Joe Weiders Memorial 2013
« on: October 17, 2017, 03:08:54 PM »
Arnold Schwarzenegger at Joe Weiders Memorial 2013.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
Re: Arnold Schwarzenegger at Joe Weiders Memorial 2014
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 03:23:59 PM »
I believe it was at the 2013 Arnold Classic - just weeks before Joe died - where Arnold said that Joe had to pass the torch to someone else.  It was a video presentation from Arnold at the Arnold, I think at prejudging, where Arnold said something to the effect of "Come on now Joe - you're in your nineties now.  It's time to pass the torch to someone else."

Meanwhile, Joe passed away just weeks after that comment.  At least if I am correct about it being from the 2013 Arnold.

Dan Solomon did a tribute to Joe Weider during the press conference at the 2013 Mr. Olympia.

Who was the person thought to be Al Pacino just after the 1:50 mark of that video?

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 03:38:47 PM »
Bah.  No matter how rich and powerful we may become, we will all eventually age and die.  I guess as they say, death is the great equalizer.

BEEFYHEAVYWEIGHT

• Getbig IV
  • Grimek
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 09:50:57 PM »
I believe it was at the 2013 Arnold Classic - just weeks before Joe died - where Arnold said that Joe had to pass the torch to someone else.  It was a video presentation from Arnold at the Arnold, I think at prejudging, where Arnold said something to the effect of "Come on now Joe - you're in your nineties now.  It's time to pass the torch to someone else."

Meanwhile, Joe passed away just weeks after that comment.  At least if I am correct about it being from the 2013 Arnold.

Dan Solomon did a tribute to Joe Weider during the press conference at the 2013 Mr. Olympia.

Who was the person thought to be Al Pacino just after the 1:50 mark of that video?

The Al Pacino comment was Jerry Brainum saying that as a joke to Eddie Giulliani. It has been a long standing joke between them for ages. Especially as Eddie has been Pacino's trainer for many years....privately.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 09:59:30 PM »
This event was in Santa Monica in April 2013.

Celebration of Life for Joe Weider.

I was there, and also took pics

http://npcnewsonline.com/joe-weider-memorial/58007/

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 12:45:07 AM »

Ron, do you recall whether or not when Serge Nubret posted on Getbig if he referred to Joe Weider as the bisexual Harvey Weinstein of bodybuilding?

johnny1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 12:55:34 AM »

great photos thanks for sharing there’s some all time bodybuilding greats that turned up, shame most if not all never showed up too Sergios memorial in Chicago the year before..

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 01:46:30 AM »
great photos thanks for sharing there’s some all time bodybuilding greats that turned up, shame most if not all never showed up too Sergios memorial in Chicago the year before..

From what Sergio Jr. said, his father really wasn't he nicest guy - keep in mind he was shot by his wife.  He did virtually everything he could to keep his son from pursuing bodybuilding to the point that poor Sergio Jr. was forced to leave the state.  Think about that.  Now that he has won the New York Pro, I can see Sergio Jr. making money from bodybuilding for the next 10 years or so and have a good legacy [and hopefully save some money], but he did that on his own accord and initiative - Sergio Sr. did everything possible to prevent that.

I realize Sergio Sr. was an amazing bodybuilder, but that does not mean that he was a good person.  I don't mean to be rude to a person not here to defend himself, but I highly, highly doubt that his own son would say things like that about his father without a good reason.

Look at how much influence Joe had - to the point that you have a room full of alpha males in a trance basically kissing up to him.  Talk about being influential:

Tha Grim Lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 02:54:19 AM »
From what Sergio Jr. said, his father really wasn't he nicest guy - keep in mind he was shot by his wife.  He did virtually everything he could to keep his son from pursuing bodybuilding to the point that poor Sergio Jr. was forced to leave the state.  Think about that.  Now that he has won the New York Pro, I can see Sergio Jr. making money from bodybuilding for the next 10 years or so and have a good legacy [and hopefully save some money], but he did that on his own accord and initiative - Sergio Sr. did everything possible to prevent that.

I realize Sergio Sr. was an amazing bodybuilder, but that does not mean that he was a good person.  I don't mean to be rude to a person not here to defend himself, but I highly, highly doubt that his own son would say things like that about his father without a good reason.

Look at how much influence Joe had - to the point that you have a room full of alpha males in a trance basically kissing up to him.  Talk about being influential:

Sergio always felt cheated than everyone made money off bodybuilding but him. Truth is there probably wasn't that much money in it back in the 60's and 70's for anyone and Arnold chased what there was. He would have pushed his son out of it for that reason.