Author Topic: Cardio built into Weight Training Sessions?  (Read 6150 times)

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
Cardio built into Weight Training Sessions?
« on: October 28, 2017, 06:32:15 PM »
Is it possible to get a good cardio workout without doing cardiovascular exercises? It appears that bodybuilders from 60s to 80's rarely relied on cardio to get in shape. They just decreased the rest between sets to get into shape. I assume the decreased rest between sets burned calories by giving them a good cardio workout. In essence, the cardio was built into the workouts. Do any getbiggers utilize this principle?

"The use of cardio exercise to get into shape was surprisingly nearly non-existent in the time period from the 1960’s to the 1980’s. As mentioned before, gyms were well equipped with barbells, dumbbells and heavy, basic machines. Cardiovascular equipment such as treadmills, stair masters and elliptical machines were not developed yet. Some gyms would have a couple stationary bikes included in the establishment but they were not nearly as comfortable or as advanced as the equipment that frequents health clubs today.

Bodybuilders got into shape for competitions by both adjusting their diets and increasing the intensity of the workout.The intensity of a workout was often adjusted by decreasing the amount of rest taken between sets. By training faster, bodybuilders would automatically train harder. Arnold was rumored to train with so many sets and so quickly that he would need three sets of training partners that he would alternate with workouts in order to keep up with him. With the decreased rest periods between sets and the increased volume of the workout, bodybuilders could get into top contest condition without the use of cardio."
X

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
Re: Cardio built into Weight Training Sessions?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 06:37:00 PM »
cardio built into weight training sessions
A

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 06:39:06 PM »
cardio built into weight training sessions

Fly, Falcon, fly.

X

WalterWhite

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 06:39:56 PM »
I rarely saw guys on the couple bikes we had at the hard core gym I went to. One key factor was they didn't eat nearly as much as guys do now or use slin/gh. They never looked like water buffalo and often dieted on plain tuna.  In this case faster, lighter workouts worked for them in getting into contest shape. There was no such diet as keto but that's what many did near contest time.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 06:46:52 PM »
I rarely saw guys on the couple bikes we had at the hard core gym I went to. One key factor was they didn't eat nearly as much as guys do now or use slin/gh. They never looked like water buffalo and often dieted on plain tuna.  In this case faster, lighter workouts worked for them in getting into contest shape. There was no such diet as keto but that's what many did near contest time.

Yes, its strange how their is an explosion of diet fads. If people just ate less and worked out in this manner, they would lose weight. Do you think there would be any need to do cardio (treadmill, stairmasters, etc.) to lose weight, if one just ate less and did quicker workouts (lighter weight and resting less between sets)?
X

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 06:50:47 PM »
Samir Banout claimed that he did zero cardio before winning the '83 Olympia.
Keep in mind, however, that those old school guys often trained 2 times a day for 2 hours per session.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 06:54:16 PM »
cardio sheds that water very noticeable wen calories are low

we need to discuss phd level shit by now not this cardio vs no cardio dead horse
A

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2017, 06:56:52 PM »
Keep in mind, however, that those old school guys often trained 2 times a day for 2 hours per session.
devout followers of samir claim his ways are key
A

WalterWhite

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2017, 06:59:09 PM »
Yes, its strange how their is an explosion of diet fads. If people just ate less and worked out in this manner, they would lose weight. Do you think there would be any need to do cardio (treadmill, stairmasters, etc.) to lose weight, if one just ate less and did quicker workouts (lighter weight and resting less between sets)?

I have spinal issues so often do just circuits as a means to stay in shape/ drop weight/tighten up. That and calorie restriction works and you are in the gym far less time. One key with this is keeping your heart rate up as much as possible throughout the workout.

Oh with the internet everyone is a diet guru now. ::)  Simplicity works.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2017, 07:03:38 PM »
Some guys have had luck with it. That was a big thing with old style Crossfit, they ran it fast, so a lot of cardio was built in. As far as bodybuilding Gadja's PHA version of circuit training was very popular for a while -

http://ditillo2.blogspot.com/2014/02/the-philosophy-of-sequence-training-bob.html .

Also there is a a system called the Javorek Complexes that has gained a lot of favor in that regard.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2017, 07:22:43 PM »
Is it possible to get a good cardio workout without doing cardiovascular exercises? It appears that bodybuilders from 60s to 80's rarely relied on cardio to get in shape. They just decreased the rest between sets to get into shape. I assume the decreased rest between sets burned calories by giving them a good cardio workout. In essence, the cardio was built into the workouts. Do any getbiggers utilize this principle?

"The use of cardio exercise to get into shape was surprisingly nearly non-existent in the time period from the 1960’s to the 1980’s. As mentioned before, gyms were well equipped with barbells, dumbbells and heavy, basic machines. Cardiovascular equipment such as treadmills, stair masters and elliptical machines were not developed yet. Some gyms would have a couple stationary bikes included in the establishment but they were not nearly as comfortable or as advanced as the equipment that frequents health clubs today.

Bodybuilders got into shape for competitions by both adjusting their diets and increasing the intensity of the workout.The intensity of a workout was often adjusted by decreasing the amount of rest taken between sets. By training faster, bodybuilders would automatically train harder. Arnold was rumored to train with so many sets and so quickly that he would need three sets of training partners that he would alternate with workouts in order to keep up with him. With the decreased rest periods between sets and the increased volume of the workout, bodybuilders could get into top contest condition without the use of cardio."

Fish and fucking water.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2017, 07:34:37 PM »
Fish and fucking water.

I don't eat any seafood.
X

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2017, 07:35:23 PM »
Some guys have had luck with it. That was a big thing with old style Crossfit, they ran it fast, so a lot of cardio was built in. As far as bodybuilding Gadja's PHA version of circuit training was very popular for a while -

http://ditillo2.blogspot.com/2014/02/the-philosophy-of-sequence-training-bob.html .

Also there is a a system called the Javorek Complexes that has gained a lot of favor in that regard.

Interesting. I'll check out the link! Thanks!
X

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2017, 07:54:20 PM »
Big Lenny specifically speaks against combining cardio with weights!!!

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2017, 08:02:28 PM »
I don't eat any seafood.

My point really was back then there really was no "cardio". The only experience waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay in back the day (like the 70's) was warming up on a stationary bike and the only reason why I did that was because I was training with Bill Pearl. When we dieted for a show it was zero carbs, fish and a head of lettuce......all you can eat. On that note, no cardio needed.

WalterWhite

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2017, 09:05:59 PM »
My point really was back then there really was no "cardio". The only experience waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back the day (like the 70's) was warming on a stationary bike and the only reason why I did that was because I was training with Bill Pearl. When we I dieted for a show it was zero carbs, fish and a head of lettuce......all you can eat. On that note, no cardio needed.

And you also didn't bulk up to some crazy weight and eat eight meals a day and blast slin/gh. No guys I trained with did that. You always knew a guy prepping because his breath smelled like bumble bee lol.

darkeyes

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2017, 01:37:20 AM »
yes but unlike you..they trained legs.  :D you know full body

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2017, 01:44:06 PM »
If you train the old fashion California method of training with volume with short rest for two hours a day you're breathing like a race horse burning a ton of calories. Guys would do 4 to 6 sets an exercise and used a weight that could do a set every 30 seconds. At the end of doing something like 5 x 12 with 30 seconds or so of rest would be a brutal calorie burn in a 1.5 to 2 hour session.  The old 20 sets a body part is rarely seen in the gym today.

East coast training back in the late 70's and early 80's was heavy weight with plenty of rest between sets to handle the weight. West coast was little rest between sets and moderate weight. 

Glass Bro

• Getbig II
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2017, 01:49:39 PM »
This is a great topic. Thanks for getting it started.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2017, 08:00:02 PM »
I rested little time between sets during my shoulder workout and was able to get my heart rate up and keep it up. But, definitely had to go lighter than usual.
X

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2017, 08:39:08 PM »
I rested little time between sets during my shoulder workout and was able to get my heart rate up and keep it up. But, definitely had to go lighter than usual.

If you maintain a pulse rate of over 65% of your maximum for at least 5 minutes, it doesn't matter what you do. Higher reps and going from set to set while your pulse is high is all you need. A pulse monitor comes in handy for this. I have been a competitive bicycle racer for years and in the off season simulated the aerobic demands doing circuit exercises for legs only.

As all the others have posted, if you are doing cardio for calorie burn, you are better off just sticking to a diet. The cardio is needed for overall cardiovascular fitness, and everyone should be doing it regularly. But it doesn't take much, as the researchers at McMaster University in Canada have proven: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/the-1-minute-workout-how-to-get-fit-in-60-seconds-mcmaster-study-1.3555420

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2017, 08:46:36 PM »
We don't need cardio, we're freaks.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2017, 09:12:29 PM »
If you maintain a pulse rate of over 65% of your maximum for at least 5 minutes, it doesn't matter what you do. Higher reps and going from set to set while your pulse is high is all you need. A pulse monitor comes in handy for this. I have been a competitive bicycle racer for years and in the off season simulated the aerobic demands doing circuit exercises for legs only.

As all the others have posted, if you are doing cardio for calorie burn, you are better off just sticking to a diet. The cardio is needed for overall cardiovascular fitness, and everyone should be doing it regularly. But it doesn't take much, as the researchers at McMaster University in Canada have proven: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/the-1-minute-workout-how-to-get-fit-in-60-seconds-mcmaster-study-1.3555420

I want to do cardio for cardiovascular heatlh--for a good, strong heart. I am not too concerned with burning calories.

Well, it seems like I maintain a higher heart rate when I rest little time between sets.
X

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2017, 09:14:07 PM »
I don't eat any seafood.

Traitor to your race

WalterWhite

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2017, 09:20:34 PM »

You will get used to it as you do it more and it's surprising how many calories it burns with "afterburn". I've tried drop sets too and have to really take the weight down. Nice to mix it up though.