Author Topic: Shawn Ray talks about the 1990 Mr. Olympia  (Read 2848 times)

Natural_O

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Shawn Ray talks about the 1990 Mr. Olympia
« on: November 02, 2017, 06:39:23 PM »
Shawn Ray talks about the 1990 Mr. Olympia contest on the Bodybuilding Legends Podcast. Shawn talks about failing the drug test at the 1990 Arnold Classic and how he passed the test later that year at the 1990 Mr. Olympia  - http://bodybuildinglegendsshow.com/the_podcast_test/season-4-episode-2-shawn-ray/

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
Re: Shawn Ray talks about the 1990 Mr. Olympia
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 06:52:55 PM »
Lmao
No one cares what Sean has to say
He left no legacy
He had no impact
He was histories most boring bodybuilder
Bodybuilders today have no idea who he was
And most have forgotten about him
He’s another old fat fossil
w

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 08:30:57 PM »
Lmao
No one cares what Sean has to say
He left no legacy
He had no impact
He was histories most boring bodybuilder
Bodybuilders today have no idea who he was
And most have forgotten about him
He’s another old fat fossil

So is phil better than Shawn then?

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 08:37:36 PM »
Did he ever address the gh15 question?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 02:26:19 AM »
So is phil better than Shawn then?
no
Both are worthless
w

Natural_O

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 08:06:56 AM »
Say what you will about Shawn but he's very articulate and he makes some great points about bodybuilding, both then and now.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 08:43:22 AM »
Say what you will about Shawn but he's very articulate and he makes some great points about bodybuilding, both then and now.

I think so too.  Great stuff, Natural_O.  I like the media you have been doing, and sharing.

As for Shawn being boring - he found a physique style that worked for him, and he didn't want to compromise that by coming in bigger.  Is he better off than those who did - such as Ronnie or Nasser?  I suppose at least Ronnie has eight Sandows, but at this point in his life, after his many surgeries, I often wonder if he regrets having done it his way.

One thing about Shawn I always wondered though - is if he also stopped training when he stopped bodybuilding.  I asked him that in his recent thread, and he may have even answered it in there.  :D  So if this has been answered, please, feel no need to answer it again.  I think Shawn is in a pretty good spot, all things considered.  I can't fault the guy, or the way he went about having his career.

Kahn.N.Singh

• Getbig IV
  • Die Weltgeschichte ist das Weltgericht
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2017, 10:21:34 AM »
Say what you will about Shawn but he's very articulate

Natural_O, can you please qualify what you mean by saying that Mr. Ray is "very articulate." I listened to the podcast, and although Ray seems informed and insightful, I found his responses to your questions full of disfluencies (especially surprising for one with so much experience on both sides of the mic, as it were). But, enough about my thoughts (please forgive my Mattgression), let's get back to you. Natural_O, does the use of your superlative above, viz. "very," convey your belief that Ray is more articulate than your other podcast guests, who, by comparison, you deem as less skillful in relating their thoughts in coherent sentences? No less a mind than Plato argued that one's use of words function like the wardrobe that adorns one's mind. Do you consider Ray to be "better dressed," shall we say, than most others you have interviewed? Of course, Ray's maladroit display of language use (well, at least by my lights -- again, I Mattgress; sorry) can be attributed to the ex tempore nature of being interviewed, but, still, a polished, experienced speaker would not repeatedly commit such ineloquent errors.

Moreover, I'm sure you have heard the oratorical powerhouse designated with the proper name of Kai Greene (dubbed by some in the fitness industry as the Demonsthenes of the Dais and by others as the Cicero of the Stage) expound on the state of modern bodybuilding. How do you think he ranks in comparison to Mr. Ray?

Thank you, Natural_O.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2017, 10:23:46 AM »
(please forgive my Mattgression)

;D

Damn, I need to learn how to make responses that are less than 500 words.

BSN

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2017, 10:26:12 AM »
Shawn, the crying baby of bodybuilding.

Kahn.N.Singh

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2017, 10:26:23 AM »
;D

Damn, I need to learn how to make responses that are less than 500 words.

Good start, Matt!

Natural_O

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2017, 03:59:24 PM »
Natural_O, can you please qualify what you mean by saying that Mr. Ray is "very articulate." I listened to the podcast, and although Ray seems informed and insightful, I found his responses to your questions full of disfluencies (especially surprising for one with so much experience on both sides of the mic, as it were). But, enough about my thoughts (please forgive my Mattgression), let's get back to you. Natural_O, does the use of your superlative above, viz. "very," convey your belief that Ray is more articulate than your other podcast guests, who, by comparison, you deem as less skillful in relating their thoughts in coherent sentences? No less a mind than Plato argued that one's use of words function like the wardrobe that adorns one's mind. Do you consider Ray to be "better dressed," shall we say, than most others you have interviewed? Of course, Ray's maladroit display of language use (well, at least by my lights -- again, I Mattgress; sorry) can be attributed to the ex tempore nature of being interviewed, but, still, a polished, experienced speaker would not repeatedly commit such ineloquent errors.

Moreover, I'm sure you have heard the oratorical powerhouse designated with the proper name of Kai Greene (dubbed by some in the fitness industry as the Demonsthenes of the Dais and by others as the Cicero of the Stage) expound on the state of modern bodybuilding. How do you think he ranks in comparison to Mr. Ray?

Thank you, Natural_O.

I've been doing a lot of interviews over the last four years and some are better than others when asked questions. Shawn answers each question thoroughly with details about his training, his diet and his mindset for each point of his career. That's a great interview because he's telling the inside story of what he was going through when he was training for a particular contest. That's what I'm looking for with these types of interviews. I want to hear about each competitors personal story and what they were thinking and experiencing during their careers. Boyer Coe was another great interview and Lee Haney and Rich Gaspari were also very good. Each person has their own view of what happened at each contest but that's good, I want to hear their personal point of view. If you listen to the interview, you'll hear what Shawn thought about the guys he was competing against, how they looked at a contest, how he looked at a contest, how he trained for a particular contest, his personal motivation for preparing for each show. Shawn likes to talk but that's a great asset when giving an interview.

Kahn.N.Singh

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2017, 04:13:44 PM »
I've been doing a lot of interviews over the last four years and some are better than others when asked questions. Shawn answers each question thoroughly with details about his training, his diet and his mindset for each point of his career. That's a great interview because he's telling the inside story of what he was going through when he was training for a particular contest. That's what I'm looking for with these types of interviews. I want to hear about each competitors personal story and what they were thinking and experiencing during their careers. Boyer Coe was another great interview and Lee Haney and Rich Gaspari were also very good. Each person has their own view of what happened at each contest but that's good, I want to hear their personal point of view. If you listen to the interview, you'll hear what Shawn thought about the guys he was competing against, how they looked at a contest, how he looked at a contest, how he trained for a particular contest, his personal motivation for preparing for each show. Shawn likes to talk but that's a great asset when giving an interview.

John,

Come on, I'm just fucking around. ;D
You have great podcasts. I recall enjoying the Padilla and Roach interviews very much, and you show great discipline in trying to keep the conversations flowing on point (but, still, Mr. Ray is not very articulate, IMO -- oops, I Mattgressed, again).

Natural_O

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2017, 05:16:28 PM »
John,

Come on, I'm just fucking around. ;D
You have great podcasts. I recall enjoying the Padilla and Roach interviews very much, and you show great discipline in trying to keep the conversations flowing on point (but, still, Mr. Ray is not very articulate, IMO -- oops, I Mattgressed, again).

Thank you Kahn, I'm glad you're enjoying the podcasts. Did you listen to the Boyer Coe interviews?
http://bodybuildinglegendsshow.com/video-gallery?vid=vidrB65Ii

Kahn.N.Singh

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2017, 06:01:59 PM »
Thank you Kahn, I'm glad you're enjoying the podcasts. Did you listen to the Boyer Coe interviews?
http://bodybuildinglegendsshow.com/video-gallery?vid=vidrB65Ii

Yes, I did. And I remember feeling that he presented himself like a genuine Southern gentleman.

What strikes me most about the Golden era bodybuilders in your interviews is their seemingly unanimous belief that bodybuilding was an art form which attempted to display an incarnate "ideal" of size, muscularity, and proportion. Deficiencies and excesses must be corrected. Perfection can never manifest in the visible world of sense, but one can work to approximate toward the "idea" of improving one's physique to higher and higher levels. It's a view that finally seems to be re-called to mind, and your work is playing an important part in this recollection by drawing attention to those values and their exemplars.

Also, I thought the Charles Gaines interview was top-notch.

Natural_O

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2017, 10:50:48 PM »
Yes, I did. And I remember feeling that he presented himself like a genuine Southern gentleman.

What strikes me most about the Golden era bodybuilders in your interviews is their seemingly unanimous belief that bodybuilding was an art form which attempted to display an incarnate "ideal" of size, muscularity, and proportion. Deficiencies and excesses must be corrected. Perfection can never manifest in the visible world of sense, but one can work to approximate toward the "idea" of improving one's physique to higher and higher levels. It's a view that finally seems to be re-called to mind, and your work is playing an important part in this recollection by drawing attention to those values and their exemplars.

Also, I thought the Charles Gaines interview was top-notch.

Absolutely, thank you for mentioning that. I loved the interview with Charles Gaines. He gave some great answers and it was awesome to hear the point of view of a writer and not necessarily a bodybuilder. The part of the interview where Gaines mentions bringing Kurt Vonnegut and his wife to a contest and being amazed watching Ed Corney pose was great because it brought to mind the artform that bodybuilding used to be.

Mobil

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2017, 11:29:31 PM »
i admired his physique...but the guy has thin skin and cant take criticism ....hes gone again...sure he is lurking though
real men= no rubbers

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2017, 12:00:40 PM »
 John has had some really great guests. I won’t be listening to this one only because Shawn to me isn’t all that interesting.