Author Topic: Aaron Hernandez, had very advanced CTE brain damage...  (Read 2998 times)

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
Aaron Hernandez, had very advanced CTE brain damage...
« on: November 09, 2017, 09:04:21 PM »
Aaron Hernandez suffered from the worst CTE seen in someone his age.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/09/health/aaron-hernandez-brain-cte/index.html

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
Re: Aaron Hernandez, had very advanced CTE brain damage...
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 11:33:26 PM »
I'm happy that awareness is being raised about football players and CTE.  It is very important.  Thanks for posting this, sync pulse.

I remember between 2000 and 2005, people would trash steroids, and I would always think and say "Where are the bodies?", which is exactly what John Romano said in his interview with HBO.

In 2004, we had the first death of a "chemical era" bodybuilder die - Sonny Schmidt.  Then in May of 2005, Don Youngblood passed away.  Not coincidentally, they were also the oldest of that era of bodybuilders - ask yourself: how many bodybuilders who competed from 1992 onward [when Dozer started winning his Sandows] were born before 1953?  Not very many - and certainly not very many who were former top six Mr. Olympia competitors or Master's Mr. Olympia winners.  So literally two of the oldest died.

Then as the years passed, we saw more deaths, in addition to other problems.  Recall kidney-colon-dead.jpg.

Now in 2017, it's virtually impossible to deny the toll that competitive bodybuilding at the professional as well as the top amateur level has on competitors.

This relates to football in that CTE has only recently become known as being a problem.  Players used to have concussions and literally go back to play in the same game.  I recall a case where that happened, but the name of the player escapes me.

It all starts with posts like that of sync pulse above - the more people talking about this and learning about it will be beneficial in the long run.  Unfortunately, people tend to do things when they are young that they regret later in life.

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 07:09:33 AM »
The guy he shot in the head had severe brain damage too.

Offsetting penalties, replay the down.

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “No no. Down here, Louie.”
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 07:19:16 AM »

LOL!

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 07:41:17 AM »
The NFL will continue to deny.
X

Zillotch

• Getbig V
  • the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 08:04:05 AM »
that dude was shit into the world 'brain damaged'... and then nature took its course.

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
  • Getbig sponsored athlete.
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 08:10:29 AM »

:D

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 08:44:16 AM »
Ever get the feeling that the owners are looking for a way out of the CTE liability coming up when current crop of players go broke? I guess having the whole pro game fail is one way....

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 08:47:22 AM »
The NFL will continue to deny.

How do you know he brain was damage in the NFL and not peewee, middle school, high school or college?
A

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 08:50:31 AM »
How do you know he brain was damage in the NFL and not peewee, middle school, high school or college?

I guess we don't. The only way to know is to conduct longitudinal studies, following football players from peewee to the NFL, taking brain scans at each stage of development.

No matter when it happened, or who will deny, you cannot deny the strong correlation between playing football and CTE's. I guess the question is, are players entering the NFL with CTE? Or, is it primarily occurring when entering the NFL?
X

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 08:57:55 AM »

Sadly, your post reminds me of the R. Budd Dwyer suicide video found on YouTube, and also the movie "Honest Man", which was about his court course and ultimate suicide.  :-\

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 09:19:58 AM »
I had traumatic brain injury and brain surgery when I was 19 (motorcycle crash  :'().

Six months after that I enrolled college. Five years later I finished a degree in engineering and I ended up speaking english fluently.

I have a demanding, full time job and I love it. In fact, I wish I had MORE stuff to do (as long as it brings more cash). I'm very, very productive.

Last year I took the TOEFL, GRE and EXAIP (the latin version of the GRE) tests. I did great on the TOEFL, and the EXAIP. GRE not so much.

Looking back, I was always good with numbers and had a good memory. I can remember stuff that makes no sense, like scientific names (e.g. Metarhizium anisopliae, Dysmicoccus brevipes.) and spell them both in spanish and english.

I'm glad the accident didn't change a thing. :P

Tennisballz

• Getbig IV
  • You CANNOT be serious!
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2017, 10:16:12 AM »
I had traumatic brain injury and brain surgery when I was 19 (motorcycle crash  :'().

Six months after that I enrolled college. Five years later I finished a degree in engineering and I ended up speaking english fluently.

I have a demanding, full time job and I love it. In fact, I wish I had MORE stuff to do (as long as it brings more cash). I'm very, very productive.

Last year I took the TOEFL, GRE and EXAIP (the latin version of the GRE) tests. I did great on the TOEFL, and the EXAIP. GRE not so much.

Looking back, I was always good with numbers and had a good memory. I can remember stuff that makes no sense, like scientific names (e.g. Metarhizium anisopliae, Dysmicoccus brevipes.) and spell them both in spanish and english.

I'm glad the accident didn't change a thing. :P

Glad you are functioning well.  One thing to consider with these football players is repeated blows.  Similar to boxers.  Your injury was no doubt horrible but it was one incident.  I think of it as repeatedly punching a bruise.  It never heals,  just keeps bleeding and eventually killing or severely damaging the tissue around it.

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2017, 10:41:32 AM »
I guess we don't. The only way to know is to conduct longitudinal studies, following football players from peewee to the NFL, taking brain scans at each stage of development.

No matter when it happened, or who will deny, you cannot deny the strong correlation between playing football and CTE's. I guess the question is, are players entering the NFL with CTE? Or, is it primarily occurring when entering the NFL?

You cannot diagnose CTE while the person is alive, it only shows up in the autopsy. So you'd have to take people who played to the various levels and then check their brains after they kick the can.

robcguns

• Getbig V
  • Founder of the proud straight white male movement
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2017, 11:07:06 AM »
Who gives a fuck?you play football and make milliOns and don’t think smashing your head repeatedly is gonna cause some problems.You gotta pay to play.no studies would have to tell me numerous concussions or head banging would cause some problems later.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2017, 11:10:52 AM »
You cannot diagnose CTE while the person is alive, it only shows up in the autopsy. So you'd have to take people who played to the various levels and then check their brains after they kick the can.

Ahh, thanks for the information.

Which means, you'd have to find a bunch of kids in junior high and high school who have died and played football, then do an autopsy on their brains. I doubt this would ever occur. Many IRB board would likely not grant institutional approval for such a study--but perhaps some would.

Either way, I think its safe to say that there is at least a moderate correlation between extreme contact sports and CTE's.
X

spiro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2017, 11:20:39 AM »
Who gives a fuck?you play football and make milliOns and don’t think smashing your head repeatedly is gonna cause some problems.You gotta pa to play.no studies would have to tell me numerous concussions or head banging would cause some problems later.

Agreed I'll take some CTE for millions of dollars.

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2017, 11:26:58 AM »

Ask Jim McMahon how he feels about that--he'd probably trade his million$ if it would get his mind and sanity back.  How can you enjoy your millions when you're depressed and suicidal and can't remember your own name, depending on the day?

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2017, 11:31:22 AM »
It has been said that playing in the NFL is like being in several car wrecks each game...

It's also orthopedic debilitation's too...Earl Campbell's skeleton is all busted up....

spiro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2017, 11:38:40 AM »
Ask Jim McMahon how he feels about that--he'd probably trade his million$ if it would get his mind and sanity back.  How can you enjoy your millions when you're depressed and suicidal and can't remember your own name, depending on the day?

Risk vs reward not everyone gets it. We're suppose to feel bad for grown men who make more in one day then most do in a year lol.

el numero uno

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2017, 11:45:54 AM »
Glad you are functioning well.  One thing to consider with these football players is repeated blows.  Similar to boxers.  Your injury was no doubt horrible but it was one incident.  I think of it as repeatedly punching a bruise.  It never heals,  just keeps bleeding and eventually killing or severely damaging the tissue around it.

Thanks. :)

Yep, that's a pretty good point.

el numero uno

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2017, 11:51:00 AM »

I was going to reply and post that there should be a balance.

However, after a second thought, being a successful athlete has nothing to do with balance. All that money, women, fame, admiration, respect... man, that's gotta be addictive.

Imagine you're an ambitious 23 years old man full of testosterone, and you can have almost any woman you want. :P

And all that money... I understand why they do it.

spiro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2017, 02:00:39 PM »
I played football in middle school, high school, and college. I've been knocked unconscious outside of sports half a dozen times. Last bad head injury was an accident at The gym. I might end up with it who knows.

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2017, 05:02:03 PM »
It has been said that playing in the NFL is like being in several car wrecks each game...

::)

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2017, 03:35:25 AM »

A lot of the athletes know/knew they will have bad knees, shoulders etc for life after a short career but put up with that possibility because of the pay; I think some might have second thoughts if it meant they would lose their minds and possibly destroy their families lives as a possible result.