Author Topic: School nixes boy's 'Fake News' T-shirt on field trip to CNN  (Read 3322 times)

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
School nixes boy's 'Fake News' T-shirt on field trip to CNN
« on: November 16, 2017, 04:43:08 PM »
Would be proud to call him my own son.

By Brian Flood   | Fox News

A Georgia family is under fire for allowing a seventh grader to wear a T-shirt that mocked liberal news network CNN on a school field trip to CNN’s Atlanta headquarters -- but the boy's parents think the school violated the First Amendment by making their son take it off.

Nancy and Stan Jester, of Dekalb, are both local elected officials, she a county commissioner and he is a member of the local school board. Their son, seventh-grader Jaxon, wore a shirt mocking the CNN logo as “FNN” with the caption, “Fake News Network.”

A Message from Grainger
Because we’re in the business of helping yours
90 years of experiences with delivering on our promises
A teacher asked him to remove it before the tour, but the school has since apologized to the Jesters. However, the parents want an apology for Jaxon because, they say,  the whole thing was his idea and he has the right to free speech.

“This year when the CNN tour was announced, my 7th grade son Jaxon asked me if he could purchase an FNN-Fake News Network shirt to wear for his field trip,” Stan Jester wrote in a blog post. “As an advocate for the First Amendment, I agreed to his request.”

“This year when the CNN tour was announced, my 7th grade son Jaxon asked me if he could purchase an FNN-Fake News Network shirt to wear for his field trip… As an advocate for the First Amendment, I agreed to his request.”
- Stan Jester
Jester continued: “His mother cautioned him that he might cause a controversy and needed to be prepared for that. He was fully aware of the implications of his decision and made the affirmative choice to wear his shirt.”

The boy’s father wrote that he is “disappointed by the hypocrisy” of the decision to make his son change his shirt.

“Some students are celebrated when they make a controversial display during the National Anthem. My student was forced to remove his shirt because someone didn’t like it. I defend speech and expression, even if I disagree, or it makes me uncomfortable,” he wrote.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution’s Maureen Downey wrote a column asking, “Was a Dekalb board member wrong to allow son to wear insulting T-shirt to CNN tour?”

At the end of her column, Downey declared that, “As a parent who has chaperoned a lot of field trips, I would avoid sending my child off with an attitude or attire that could create problems not only for teachers, but parent chaperones, most of whom take off work to give their time.”

CNN Worldwide President Jeff Zucker has seemingly implemented an anti-President Trump programming strategy at the network that was once known for Ted Turner's bare bones "just-the-facts" approach to journalism. As a result, Trump refers to CNN as “fake news” on a regular basis and mocked the network on Twitter as recently as Wednesday.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
Re: School nixes boy's 'Fake News' T-shirt on field trip to CNN
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 10:38:50 PM »
I'll reserve my comment until I am allowed to ask the child 10 questions regarding news stories and his opinion of what exactly is fake news

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 02:22:25 PM »
He might surprise you, Agnostic007.  I'd bet he could answer.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 04:58:25 PM »
He might surprise you, Agnostic007.  I'd bet he could answer.

If he did, I'd know he wasn't just parroting his parents and actually felt that way, and he could wear the shirt if he wanted.  :)

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 05:01:21 PM »
He could probably answer better than the libs on here. He seems he might know whats actually going on.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 05:07:52 PM »
He could probably answer better than the libs on here. He seems he might know whats actually going on.

That's golden coming from you.... and you have no idea how ridiculously ironic you are do you?

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 05:50:29 PM »

If he did, I'd know he wasn't just parroting his parents and actually felt that way, and he could wear the shirt if he wanted.  :)

Being that it's CNN in question, it's all the same IMO.  The shirt fits in more ways than one.  Anyone who'd try to stop him from wearing that shirt is just hurt by the truth, really, which sounds like a personal problem.

I'll tell you, when CNN pursued that guy on Reddit, they took it to a new level.  They sorta threw the finger at us -- jabbed it right in our eye, even, and they're still standing.  That's how bad it's become. 

Fortunately for them, Trump is just too dumb, or too personally and financially entrenched in it (whatever the problem) to work toward fixing this sorry excuse for media.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 06:58:26 PM »
Being that it's CNN in question, it's all the same IMO.  The shirt fits in more ways than one.  Anyone who'd try to stop him from wearing that shirt is just hurt by the truth, really, which sounds like a personal problem.

I'll tell you, when CNN pursued that guy on Reddit, they took it to a new level.  They sorta threw the finger at us -- jabbed it right in our eye, even, and they're still standing.  That's how bad it's become. 

Fortunately for them, Trump is just too dumb, or too personally and financially entrenched in it (whatever the problem) to work toward fixing this sorry excuse for media.

That shirt is probably benign. But, when making rules for a large group of people, it's tough. If you allow that, then what do you draw the line on? No political shirts is safer than  dealing with each individual case. Pro abortion shirts ok? Anti abortion shirts ok? So I get why they might object.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 07:08:20 PM »
Being that it's CNN in question, it's all the same IMO.  The shirt fits in more ways than one.  Anyone who'd try to stop him from wearing that shirt is just hurt by the truth, really, which sounds like a personal problem.

I'll tell you, when CNN pursued that guy on Reddit, they took it to a new level.  They sorta threw the finger at us -- jabbed it right in our eye, even, and they're still standing.  That's how bad it's become.  

Posts like this really pain me ^^

Here is a guy who I went out of my way and laid out point by point how Trump was going to win the 2016 Presidential Election months in advance. And it happened. Decisively.

And then I come back a year later and I read this type of comment coming from his account.

Trump is systematically DESTROYING the mainstream media before our very eyes.

Have you not read the news?? The massive layoffs? The desperate attempts at mergers which the DOJ is stepping in and thwarting??

And yet Trump the dumbass multi billionaire tv star/real estate tycoon in an ultra competitive Manhattan market WHO ALSO who took down 16 Republican competitors and Hillary Clinton...

Yeah that "dumb" guy who demonizes and attacks the media almost daily somehow "doesn't want to fix this sorry excuse for media"  ::) ::)

And this is not an attack on you at all, Las Vegas but can you not see how the media landscape is changing radically before our very eyes and this is barely YEAR ONE of Trump's presidency??

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 07:21:01 PM »
That shirt is probably benign. But, when making rules for a large group of people, it's tough. If you allow that, then what do you draw the line on? No political shirts is safer than  dealing with each individual case. Pro abortion shirts ok? Anti abortion shirts ok? So I get why they might object.

Maybe they should require a uniform.  Gray, perhaps?

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 07:29:07 PM »
Maybe they should require a uniform.  Gray, perhaps?

Or, just prohibit shirts about religion, politics and profanity. Seems pretty simple when dealing with school age children in a government run school

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 07:41:01 PM »
Posts like this really pain me ^^

Here is a guy who I went out of my way and laid out point by point how Trump was going to win the 2016 Presidential Election months in advance. And it happened. Decisively.

And then I come back a year later and I read this type of comment coming from his account.

Trump is systematically DESTROYING the mainstream media before our very eyes.

Have you not read the news?? The massive layoffs? The desperate attempts at mergers which the DOJ is stepping in and thwarting??

And yet Trump the dumbass multi billionaire tv star/real estate tycoon in an ultra competitive Manhattan market WHO ALSO who took down 16 Republican competitors and Hillary Clinton...

Yeah that "dumb" guy who demonizes and attacks the media almost daily somehow "doesn't want to fix this sorry excuse for media"  ::) ::)

And this is not an attack on you at all, Las Vegas but can you not see how the media landscape is changing radically before our very eyes and this is barely YEAR ONE of Trump's presidency??

No.  Dude's not working this right.

And no, I don't (necessarily) think he's dumb.  What I'd say, instead, is that he's up to his enormous ass in the swamp he helped to create, and that he'd do anything in the world to keep the lie going while claiming credit for anything he can.

Btw, congrats on Mod spot.  And thanks for telling me about those attempted mergers.  I wasn't aware of that, but will look now.  Yes, that's the sort of thing I want to see from him.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 07:44:25 PM »
Or, just prohibit shirts about religion, politics and profanity. Seems pretty simple when dealing with school age children in a government run school

Let's see, then.  It's not profanity, it's not religious.  Are you saying it's political in nature?

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 07:56:48 PM »
Yeah, poly.  Good job easing my view.  I remember you were excellent with making stands leading to the election, and you've only gotten better.

Let me just say this, though.  He has one chance to do it right, and a man of his age should know that proper communication is where it's at.  To say this: Don't give your enemies any ammo.  Let them dig deep for it, until they land their asses in China for all anyone should care.

In other words, he needs to talk to us.  Not them.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2017, 11:56:52 PM »
Let's see, then.  It's not profanity, it's not religious.  Are you saying it's political in nature?

Yes.. seems to be

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2017, 03:13:22 PM »
Yeah, poly.  Good job easing my view.  I remember you were excellent with making stands leading to the election, and you've only gotten better.

Let me just say this, though.  He has one chance to do it right, and a man of his age should know that proper communication is where it's at.  To say this: Don't give your enemies any ammo.  Let them dig deep for it, until they land their asses in China for all anyone should care.

In other words, he needs to talk to us.  Not them.

Solid points.

And I feel bad about the earlier post if it was taken the wrong way. You have been one of the bedrock posters of this forum the past couple years.

I've posted this anecdote a couple times on here but it really gets to the root of who Trump is.

A rich investor goes to visit Trump at one of his top resorts with another powerful businessman. They are on the golf course.

Trump walks straight up to them after finishing up a hole, orange and sweaty, doesn't even say hello and begins to point at his property and then go into a 2 minute impassioned speech/lecture about how "This golf course resort of mine is the finest in the entire country"...and begins to point out all the highlights of the place.

The big talk. The posh and the pomp.

Manhattan. Reality TV.

He has talked in interviews about his mother and how she was attracted to all the posh and pomp of The United Kingdom.

It's in his DNA.

And I don't know if that is necessarily a bad thing.

But it is who he is.

All that being said, I'll take my chances with the unapologetically Pro-American guy who is radically transforming and weakening the structure of media and the effects it brings to us in our lives. Even if it comes with some very eccentric behavior and disconcerting statements at times.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2017, 03:18:54 PM »
Solid points.

And I feel bad about the earlier post if it was taken the wrong way. You have been one of the bedrock posters of this forum the past couple years.

Under which handle?  He has a gimmick he no longer uses. 

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2017, 03:30:24 PM »
Under which handle?  He has a gimmick he no longer uses. 

I'm not sure. I guess I haven't really noticed.

Las Vegas has been known to mix it up at times.

He can get a little pugnacious. He can get a little ornery.

But as far as my dealings with the man we have always been able to dust ourselves off and shake hands after a spirited debate and I respect that about him.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2017, 03:41:54 PM »
I'm not sure. I guess I haven't really noticed.

Las Vegas has been known to mix it up at times.

He can get a little pugnacious. He can get a little ornery.

But as far as my dealings with the man we have always been able to dust ourselves off and shake hands after a spirited debate and I respect that about him.

I have no problems with him and he is the only 911 Troofer that I don't openly mock.  Just wasn't sure if you knew he has a gimmick. 

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2017, 04:47:37 PM »
Yes.. seems to be

What if he'd worn a simple USA shirt?

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2017, 04:49:27 PM »
Poly, you're a good dude.  Sharp as the sharpest tack.  Always.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2017, 06:26:59 PM »
What if he'd worn a simple USA shirt?

That's fine. 

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2017, 08:27:30 AM »
Wtf, DE. Thought we were cool. And what's a "gimmick"?  If a person has another account which IS being used, maybe someone could throw up a "gimmick" accusation.  (And tmk that's for a poster who sets out to annoy and troll.  So if you think I'm a troll, that's pretty surprising.)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2017, 09:04:22 AM »
Wtf, DE. Thought we were cool. And what's a "gimmick"?  If a person has another account which IS being used, maybe someone could throw up a "gimmick" accusation.  (And tmk that's for a poster who sets out to annoy and troll.  So if you think I'm a troll, that's pretty surprising.)

We are cool.  You have more than one user name:  Jack T. Cross (i.e., a gimmick).  We already established this.  You really going to make me dig it up? 

No, you are not a troll and I didn't call you a troll. 

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2017, 03:52:53 PM »
We are cool.� You have more than one user name:� Jack T. Cr(i.e., a gimmick).  We already established this.  You really going to make me dig it up? 

No, you are not a troll and I didn't call you a troll. 

No, I'm not the one looking to make claims about who I am.  Never have.  You are.  That's what I don't understand.

And if you think you're going to make me admit to breaking the rules, then you should know better.  No way would I admit to breaking any forum rules, to say nothing of the fact I'd never knowingly violate them.

Really, DE.  Quite a shock.  Hope you're not trying to suggest something's amiss.

AND, btw: Isn't it true that you have created a "gimmick", or "gimmicks" on more than one one occasion, for the purpose of attacking 240 when he was here?