Author Topic: Why the emphasis on 'functional' training when prepping actors?  (Read 1399 times)

galain

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Why the emphasis on 'functional' training when prepping actors?
« on: December 10, 2017, 04:41:14 AM »
I was watching a few of those Youtube vids that show how the super hero actors get into shape. You'd think that basic gym work would be self evident but a lot of them seem to be doing calisthenic/crossfit type workouts instead. Chris Hemsworth (Thor) even said in an interview that for the first movie it was strictly bodybuilding type workouts but he moved to more functional stuff for his other films.

Anyone have any idea why? A basic bodybuilding workout with the juice they have access to should be the most expedient way to get into 'look good for the camera' shape.

mazrim

• Getbig V
Re: Why the emphasis on 'functional' training when prepping actors?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 05:11:24 AM »
Sounds better and they want to give the impression of actually being able to do all of those stunts, etc.

QuietYou

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 05:17:57 AM »
I was watching a few of those Youtube vids that show how the super hero actors get into shape. You'd think that basic gym work would be self evident but a lot of them seem to be doing calisthenic/crossfit type workouts instead. Chris Hemsworth (Thor) even said in an interview that for the first movie it was strictly bodybuilding type workouts but he moved to more functional stuff for his other films.

Anyone have any idea why? A basic bodybuilding workout with the juice they have access to should be the most expedient way to get into 'look good for the camera' shape.

They get big regardless as long as they stimulate the muscle while they're on hormones. The rest i assume is just a bunch of shit, cuck trainers stroking their egos thinking that their elaborate master-trainer plyometrics are working wonders for their client when it's really the trenbolone.

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 06:11:36 AM »
Bodybuilding--and all the exercises that go with it--is seen as vain.  Plus it's boring to watch someone do machine curls

I'm guessing these actors all do plenty of isolation exercises, that's just not what they publicize

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 06:39:29 AM »
They want to pretend they are athletes. Everyone knows they aren't doing anything dangerous on set. They drug up for a role and when they promote it a year later they are a shell of their movie body.

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 06:44:49 AM »
They want to pretend they are athletes. Everyone knows they aren't doing anything dangerous on set. They drug up for a role and when they promote it a year later they are a shell of their movie body.

This. I also like for what ever sports role they are playing a coach says without fail, if I got him/her when they were young they'd be world champion.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 09:08:54 AM »

galain

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 12:22:47 AM »
But everyone knows they're not athletes. They're actors. Liberal, probably gay tending actors - just like that weird guy who was the only guy in the drama class at school.

Following a bodybuilding routine and taking drugs will get you in good shape for your on camera time. Better than swinging 'battle ropes' into the floor and throwing a medicine ball around.

I don't get it.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 03:23:16 AM »
This. I also like for what ever sports role they are playing a coach says without fail, if I got him/her when they were young they'd be world champion.

how is this for function?  8)

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 03:42:08 AM »
As fun as 'functional training' is, a more bodybuilding focused routine is probably going to get you looking better quicker.