Author Topic: Shawn Perrine - RIP  (Read 13494 times)

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Shawn Perrine - RIP
« on: December 11, 2017, 09:34:58 AM »
RIP Shawn Perrine - past Editor in Chief of Men's Fitness, Muscle & Fitness, Flex, Muscle & Fitness Hers magazines, and longtime associate in our world of magazines.

I had known Shawn for years, old school, spent more time with him when he was out here in Los Angeles working.  He came from New York, and went back to New York to work and live. He came on to these boards in 2003, under the name Konger, and started Ironage, a place for old school historical bodybuilding.

Cancer sucks ...

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
Re: Shawn Perrine - RIP
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 09:40:25 AM »
Damn...sorry to hear that
A

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 09:41:40 AM »
RIP
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Eric2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 09:43:12 AM »
That's too bad. Life is short and for some even shorter. He seemed to be a motivated guy who enjoyed his life.
h

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 09:45:18 AM »
He knew his stuff and loved bodybuilding history.     Knew all of the old school bodybuilders and even started a web site years ago just to talk about the history of bodybuilding in the 90s and before.  Part of the reason I started the History Board on this site was because of people wanting to remember those times.

https://twitter.com/shawnperine?lang=en

https://www.instagram.com/shawnperine/?hl=en

karasan

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 09:52:51 AM »
What the?!
There is no mention about him being terminal cancer, no news about his passing anywhere!
He was ripped for sure, but I hope this is some kind of sick joke,  unfortunately I feel it isn't :(

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 10:15:01 AM »
Rest in Peace Shawn.
Q

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 10:17:30 AM »
Damn, RIP.

BSN

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 10:25:10 AM »
Sad news.. RIP

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 10:40:09 AM »
RIP
Seemed like a good guy

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 10:41:08 AM »
THATS BEAT...

Chadwick The Beta

• Getbig V
  • "Stop calling me by my name."
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 10:43:20 AM »
K

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 10:44:26 AM »
Have I hurt your feelings?

Why would you being a douchebag hurt my feelings?

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2017, 10:46:15 AM »
Sad to read this.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2017, 11:06:21 AM »
Arnold‏ Schwarzenegger: Shawn Perine was not only a fantastic ambassador for the fitness crusade and a wonderful editor of Muscle & Fitness, he was a dear friend and a great man. I’m heartbroken, and the world just lost an amazing force. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

Matthew Tuthill‏:  My heart is broken for the loss of my friend and brother, Shawn Perine. He wasn't just an exemplary boss and leader, he was one of the finest human beings I've ever known. The world is darker without him in it. I hope he knows that the lives he touched are all the better for it.

John Hansen: I just heard today that Shawn Perrine passed away. I met Shawn in the early 2000’s when he started the website Iron Age. He then went on to be the editor of Muscle and Fitness magazine. Shawn was a great guy and an excellent writer and he really loved the sport of Bodybuilding, especially the Golden Era of the sport. So sad that someone so young and talented is taken from us so soon. Life is so strange

Rick Collins: Today we lost my friend of 30 years, Shawn Perine. Shawn loved bodybuilding with all his heart, especially the Golden Age of the 60s and 70s. I remember such good times with him: training chest in Steve Michalik’s gym decades ago; training with him in SoCal on the last day of World Gym; going on the tour of the Weider offices when he was working there. I looked forward to hanging with him at each Olympia and Arnold, and talking about all things training and nutrition. My last text with him was on November 22, when he told me he loved me and I told him I would be there for him whatever he needed. Rest In Peace, my brother

Dan Solomon: The news of Shawn Perine's passing is tough to swallow. For as long as I can remember, Shawn has been such a meaningful part of my life. He was warm, in a gentle, clever, wise sort of way. One of the most gifted writers I've ever known. I can hear his voice. He called me "Dan-o" and to our closest friends, he was "Shawn-o". It was silly, but it never got old. While we grieve, I'm comforted knowing that he made it all the way to the top of his field. He started as a writer (discovered by Greg Merritt) eventually reaching the pinnacle when he was named Editor-in-Chief, the same position once held by his two mentors, Joe Weider and Peter McGough.
More importantly, he commanded the respect of all who knew him. Arnold adored him. Just like the rest of us did. His cancer diagnosis shocked all of us. He was always the fittest guy in the room, a physical specimen. Sadly, this is the latest reminder how fragile all of this is. Shawn's favorite place was the gym, but make no mistake about it, his biggest muscle was his heart. I can't believe he's gone. I'm gonna miss him

Lonnie Teper:  As the saying goes, cancer doesn't discriminate. That harsh reality struck again with the stunning news that Shawn Perrine, probably the fittest of all industry media, has succumbed apparently to lung cancer at just 51 years of age, according to various media outlets. As far as I knew, Perrine didn't touch cigarettes, alcohol or any other type of drugs. The man was ripped; I used to tease him about jumping into a local contest in the Men's Physique category. Don't take my word, just check out the Bill Comstock photo with this post of Perrine's peaked, split biceps. And when he wan't busting his fanny training, he was working his shredded abs off running the show show as Editor-in-Chief at Muscle & Fitness, FLEX and Muscle & Fitness Hers from his AMI office in New York. And, doing likewise on the website he created years back, IronAge. Not only does cancer strike often, it can strike swiftly; Perrine was diagnosed in September and fought as much as he could in the ensuring three months. When I heard he missed the Olympia Weekend because he was "ill", never did I think--did anybody other than his family and very close friends know-- how devastating the "illness" was? And what Perrine had to endure, treatment wise, during his fight to the finish to push back against the damn disease? Another life lost way to early, and even as I type this I'm having trouble realizing this is not just a nightmare instead of reality. We'll miss you Shawn; thank you for all that you did for the sport, and for the walking the walk as an example of what being fit was all about.

Jeff Preston: Around 2003 I stumbled across a new website called “Ironage” and immediately jumped on board. A website focused on the time frame in bodybuilding from the late 60’s to the 91 Olympia, Ironage was the term coined by the creator and owner of the site Shawn Perine. We didn’t even have 100 members on the site but the enthusiasm was infectious for all involved. We spent countless hours scanning our old magazines for pictures to post and sharing our own stories about the era we all loved so much. Shawn’s writing caught the attention of Peter McGough, then the editor in chief of FLEX magazine. An offer was made to move to California and write full time for FLEX. He took the offer and flourished. After Weider sold the magazines Shawn stayed on and became the editor in Chief of not only Flex and Muscle and Fitness but also Men’s Fitness and Muscle and Fitness Hers. We stayed in touch over the years and had planned to get together when I was in New York. Sadly we never got the chance. Shawn passed away yesterday after only a two month long battle with lung cancer. A poster boy for healthy living it shows cancer plays no favorites. From a New York graphic artist writing about the days of iron men and wooden ships to the editor in chief of the same magazines he and the rest of us grew up reading in a span of about 14 years is remarkable. A life shortened at 51 but a WELL lived one, proving dreams can come true and even exceed all expectations. Thanks Shawn for the doors you opened for me, friendships I have because of your introductions and great memories I can revisit often! Go rest high on that mountain iron slinger!

Garry Bartlett: A total shock and I have a sadness that cuts to the core at hearing this terrible news. Shawn was an ikon in the sport and he was always courteous and humble. His soft spoken demeanour put you at ease and his passion for Bodybuilding and the industry was without equal. He will be so badly missed by us all.

Frank Zane: I am shocked to hear this news today. Shawn was a wonderful person and I am saddened that someone so young could pass away so quickly. Our thoughts are with his family, friends and co-workers at this difficult time. Shawn will definitely be missed. F

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2017, 11:27:40 AM »
Sad... PIP!

JAGO

• Getbig IV
  • Biden/Harris 2020
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2017, 11:57:55 AM »
He gave us IronAge.

God Bless.

J

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2017, 12:11:10 PM »
Did I read lung cancer?  Was he a smoker?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Redux

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2017, 12:15:52 PM »
very sad news

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2017, 12:23:37 PM »
Never met him but knew him from IronAge. One of the real good guys in this industry. He was loved
but all and will be sorely missed.

Damn!

hench

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2017, 12:43:59 PM »
Damn, I had a fair bit of contact with Shawn a few years back,  this is crazy,  I didn't think it was long ago he was last pictured with arnold looking in great shape.
I can't believe this :'(

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2017, 12:51:46 PM »
Holy Fuck that sucks !! Shawn was a really good guy , spoke with him many times on Ironage , Rest In Peace Shawn!!  :'(

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2017, 01:30:59 PM »
Wow, now that’s a true loss to the bodybuilding world. RIP

NelsonMuntz

• Getbig V
  • Getbigs Most Positive Member March&October 2017
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2017, 01:34:47 PM »