Poll

WWJD?

Mistake happen and you're a busy man
5 (26.3%)
Return the money despite the slight inconvenience. Else ur scum
14 (73.7%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: Give the money back?  (Read 2796 times)

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
Re: Give the money back?
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2017, 10:57:45 AM »
Quote from: Be There on December 12, 2017, 10:29:17 AM
Only fags buy toss salad

Fixed

Fixed again...

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2017, 12:26:31 PM »
You waited pass her shift ?
A

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2017, 03:45:00 PM »
So. now that this thread is basically dead, here's full disclosure. Before I posted this, I called the deli and offered to make a wireless payment or just order something through seamless  that they didn't have to deliver. The guy I spoke to acted confused and then put a lady with an asian accent on the phone. She started asking me somewhat detailed questions about the transaction and it started to dawn on me that she wasn't trying to work out a payment, she was determining whether the cashier was at fault. I started to clam up and she just thanked me and told me not to worry about the money.

After the phone call ended, I went out to this communal work area we have in my office. There were about 6 people working in there. I told them that I think I just got somebody fired. I relayed the story a lot like the first post in this thread and ALL of them said that in this situation, it probably would have been better (for the cashier)to just forget about it.  In NYC at least, she  wouldn't have had to repay the money  and most stores with high volume have a reasonable tolerance for unbalanced registers. Everyone seemed to agree that the fact that I spoke to what may have been a manager and basically verified that she made a rather stupid mistake probably sealed her fate. :-[

I felt horrible about what might have happened, but I really  don't think anyone would have come to that conclusion if they didn't know how the story turned out. I don't think my co-workers were trying to make me feel bad, but I don't think most people would think there was a possibility the cashier would be in more trouble if you returned the money. And no one in this thread suggested that was a possibility and the voting far and away says that the money should have been returned.  I don't necessarily feel better about it, but I was wondering if it was unreasonable on my part not to see that coming.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2017, 03:54:32 PM »
I don't necessarily feel better about it, but I was wondering if it was unreasonable on my part not to see that coming.

Not unreasonable.  They just as easy could have been wondering if a cashier "stole" the money and would have been relieved to hear it.

You tried to do a good thing.

I wouldn't beat yourself up over it.
Y

Zillotch

• Getbig V
  • the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2017, 03:55:21 PM »
is this tard thread about $20?

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2017, 04:11:27 PM »
Not unreasonable.  They just as easy could have been wondering if a cashier "stole" the money and would have been relieved to hear it.

You tried to do a good thing.

I wouldn't beat yourself up over it.

Some of the group of co-workers have worked in retail before. (I have in college, too, but I was never a manager.) Drawers come up short  pretty frequently because registers are susceptible to confusion scams. A lot of stores have a set tolerance for daily imbalances. That's one of  the reasons they say it was probably worse to confirm that the employee just made a stupid mistake.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2017, 04:23:18 PM »
A confessional passage has probably never been written that didn't stink a little bit of the writer's pride in having given up his pride.
J D Salinger

Hey, it could be worse. I could be posting in some farcical hybrid of eastern-European baby talk and pig latin that no longer serves a purpose and varies so greatly from post to post that I'm not even pretending it's not fake anymore.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2017, 03:17:38 AM »
I told them that I think I just got somebody fired.

You did her a favor.  I'm sure her aspiration in life wasn't to be a deli cashier.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2017, 05:01:46 AM »
I once received a double payment from an insurance company after a car wreck.  Dupe payments occurred about 4 months apart.  We called insurance and were told "well we can't ask for or take the money back that has been issued so looks like you got a little extra."  Now since they goofed on a significant billing error from that same situation that we contested and justified yet they wouldn't budge on to correct voluntarily it appears we were compensated for our loss involuntarily.  

Shizzo

• Getbig IV
  • 2014 Getbig Hall of Fame Inductee
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2017, 05:45:24 AM »
I once received a double payment from an insurance company after a car wreck.  Dupe payments occurred about 4 months apart.  We called insurance and were told "well we can't ask for or take the money back that has been issued so looks like you got a little extra."  Now since they goofed on a significant billing error from that same situation that we contested and justified yet they wouldn't budge on to correct voluntarily it appears we were compensated for our loss involuntarily.  
A man of God would have donated the free money given by the insurance. You chose to keep it like a heathen. You will be judged.