Author Topic: British BODYPOWER magazine....one of the best  (Read 1321 times)

BEEFYHEAVYWEIGHT

• Getbig IV
  • Grimek
British BODYPOWER magazine....one of the best
« on: December 13, 2017, 07:27:23 PM »
In the late 80's...I was given a box full of BODYPOWER magazine's. Bodypower was a British bodybuilding magazine...that IMO was the best around. The editor was a friend of Arnolds named Diane Bennett...ex wife of Wag Bennett. Great british bodybuilders that many here never heard of..but whom had incredible physiques. Names such as Mick Theo, Selwyn Cotterill, Cavan Derby, Sulby Prince, Martin Alamongo, Andy Watts, Ian Ballentine, Malcolm Brown, Warren Treasure. I remember noticing that Malcolm Brown was honing in a lot of the guys diets those days. What struck me most about BODYPOWER...was that they showcased many local, regional and very small level competitors. Guys that looked like it was their fiirst year competing. As well as the top guys too. The articles seemed to be honestly written too...diets with Wheatabix, tuna packed in brine and chutney used on chicken. Hardcore oldschool diets. Great stuff...wish I still had those mags. Do any of you remember these mags or guys. I am sure that BE THERE knows them all. Would love his input.

BEEFYHEAVYWEIGHT

• Getbig IV
  • Grimek
Re: British BODYPOWER magazine....one of the best
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 07:28:55 PM »
In the late 80's...I was given a box full of BODYPOWER magazine's. Bodypower was a British bodybuilding magazine...that IMO was the best around. The editor was a friend of Arnolds named Diane Bennett...ex wife of Wag Bennett. Great british bodybuilders that many here never heard of..but whom had incredible physiques. Names such as Mick Theo, Selwyn Cotteril, Cavan Derby, Sulby Prince, Martin Alamono, Andy Watts, Ian Ballentine, Malcolm Brown, Warren Treasure. I remember noticing that Malcolm Brown was honing in a lot of the guys diets those days. What struck me most about BODYPOWER...was that they showcased many local, regional and very small level competitors. Guys that looked like it was their fiirst year competing. As well as the top guys too. The articles seemed to be honestly written too...diets with Wheatabix, tuna packed in brine and chutney used on chicken. Hardcore oldschool diets. Great stuff...wish I still had those mags. Do any of you remember these mags or guys. I am sure that BE THERE knows them all. Would love his input.
I wanted to add....the fact that they showcased and devoted entire pages of interviews to lower level competitors was very refreshing to me. Especially as I was new to competing. As opposed to American magazines which only showcased top pros and top amateurs and most diets and training info was bullshit. The local guys showcased in Bodypower reminded me of guys I grew up watching in John Kempers Diamond Gym and Bob Bonhams Strong&Shapely. Guys who sported great physiques, competed at a local and state level...but whom worked blue collar and office jobs, but still trained hard and loved to compete.

BEEFYHEAVYWEIGHT

• Getbig IV
  • Grimek
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 07:44:32 PM »

Simple Simon

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 10:11:19 PM »
I had every one of the mags posted.
I read them cover to cover, I had an encyclopaedic knowledge of competitors names and where and when they competed.

I left them all in the garage of my old house when i moved...

BSN

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 11:07:18 PM »
And the best bb british magazine is ?

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 12:43:28 AM »
Perfect lines on this shitish stud

Simple Simon