Author Topic: MAGA! - WSJ: The Tax Cuts Will Grow the Economy by Much More than Expected  (Read 602 times)

polychronopolous

• Getbig V

Tax cuts are going to grow the economy by much more than expected.
That’s the verdict of the Wall Street Journal‘s prestigious “Heard on the Street” column. Importantly, Heard on the Street is run by the news side of the WSJ, not its tax-cut loving editorial page. So there’s no particular pro-tax cut or pro-Republican bias at work here.

Justin Lahart of Heard writes:

There were several surprises for investors when Republicans unveiled their final tax bill Friday, but the most significant is that they add up to a bigger boost to economic growth next year.

The bigger stimulus could fundamentally change how the market behaves in 2018. Sales and profits will be stronger than most investors expect. But with the unemployment rate low, wage pressures will mount faster, and inflation should pick up more. If the tax plan passes, as seems likely, it could lead the Federal Reserve to raise rates faster, putting the bond market at risk.

The tax plan was always expected to juice the economy, but the Senate version, which passed after the House approved its bill, had relatively modest short-term stimulus. While the stock market kept rising in anticipation of a cut, the bond market hardly budged. The bill unveiled Friday front-loaded more than $200 billion in stimulus for next year. Economists had been penciling in a boost of about a third of a percentage point next year. Now that is looking way low.

Some of the pro-growth changes include eliminating any delay to the corporate tax cuts, lowering of the top individual rate, lowering rates for most taxpayers, and increasing the child tax credit. The latter is particularly important because middle-class households are “more likely to spend extra income than the rich.”

The tax bill could increase GDP by 1.3 percent, Lahart writes.

That’s an additional full percentage point gain from what economists had been expecting based on earlier bills.

(Full disclosure: I used to work for Heard on the Street and consider Lahart a personal friend. He’s had me over to his apartment for fish.)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Re: MAGA! - WSJ: The Tax Cuts Will Grow the Economy by Much More than Expected
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 05:12:20 PM »
Well shit, if Justin Lahart says it "COULD increase GDP by 1.3 percent" then it's a done deal

Kudo's on changing his opinion of "could" into "will" in your title

btw - who the fuck is Justin Lahart and why should we care about his opinion while ignoring actual economists

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 05:19:43 PM »
Well shit, if Justin Lahart says it "COULD increase GDP by 1.3 percent" then it's a done deal

btw - who the fuck is Justin Lahart and why should we care about his opinion while ignoring actual economists

The same ones who predicted the market would crash and ObamaCare would lower rates ?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 05:30:29 PM »

Were these the same economists that told the everyone that of Trump was elected the markets would tank and the economy would go to shit?

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 05:34:26 PM »

I am surprised that WSJ doesn't pay you for your opinions. You did get a degree in finance after all.

Fuck Justin Lahart.
a

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 05:34:38 PM »

FWIW - My portfolio is up 29% under the first year of Trump. Just incredible. So much money made.

God bless him.

God bless us all.

As far as the profits are concerned...Some time with family together in Mineral Wells and later a hiking expedition set for early spring in the Ozark Mountains. Quality time. I love being with my family.

Fellas, utilize this opportunity to make a little cash to provide a better future for yourself.

Being a leftist loser and only complaining...Where does that really get you??

This is real American leadership. Let's all come together and join in the profits.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 05:49:47 PM »
The same ones who predicted the market would crash and ObamaCare would lower rates ?

Which economist predicted the market would crash (I presume you meant to add "if Trump was elected")

Again. The author used the word "could" not "will"

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 06:51:03 PM »
Which economist predicted the market would crash (I presume you meant to add "if Trump was elected")

Again. The author used the word "could" not "will"

Hey Straw Man, since you are utterly convinced that Trump is Hitler and an incompetent buffoon and stocks are going to plunge and all that...

What has been your financial planning during all this time?

Would love to hear your strategy? How did you plan ahead? Don't be a coward....let us all know how it all went down.

I certainly am not a coward. I myself have always put myself on the line and thus have been rewarded as such....would love to hear how 2017 played out for you??  :-\ :( :(

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 07:05:20 PM »
Hey Straw Man, since you are utterly convinced that Trump is Hitler and an incompetent buffoon and stocks are going to plunge and all that...

What has been your financial planning during all this time?

Would love to hear your strategy? How did you plan ahead? Don't be a coward....let us all know how it all went down.

I certainly am not a coward. I myself have always put myself on the line and thus have been rewarded as such....would love to hear how 2017 played out for you??  :-\ :( :(

I love how you make up total lies about me and put them forward as the truth

I've never said Trump is Hitler or anything even close to that

I've never said having a Republican in the White House (or majority in Congress) would be bad for the stock market (in the short run).  I've never said stock are going to plunge

All bullshit that for some reason you've decided to attribute to me

Guess What, I've also never said that Trump colluded with Russia.  I've said we don't know

I have speculated that he's involved in money laundering with Russians so keep that one in mind for future reference

I do think Trump is a pathological liar, world class narcissist and quite possibly a sociopath