Author Topic: counting reps is weird  (Read 5521 times)

cephissus

• Getbig V
counting reps is weird
« on: December 30, 2017, 12:04:01 AM »
How could it be that the right number of reps to do is ever some square number, like 10 or "6-8".

I think people mostly count reps so that they can communicate their workout ideas. Studies also center on reps because it's easier to design tests around them.

I think any experienced "trainee" should probably just trust their instincts instead of doing another rep because they had planned to.

I always find myself thinking "okay I did eight reps, let's go for 10" for seemingly no other reason than "10 is a round number". This seems really absurd...

Thinking about numbers takes your focus away from the exercise, too.

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
Re: counting reps is weird
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 01:30:17 AM »
I haven't counted my own reps for years. Training partners.. Usually a girl i used to train, then ended up dating for arm candy, would catch me after a set and ask "why'd you do 9 reps?" Or "why'd you only do 6?" While I'd have them do 10 or 12 or 15.

Reg clients too. "Why'd you have me go to 13 when you said 10?"

Answer? Experience.

BlackMetallic

• Getbig V
  • I am Jack's lack of HRT skills
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 02:30:13 AM »
Counting reps is counterproductive

Yanin

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 02:31:49 AM »
I haven't counted my own reps for years. Training partners.. Usually a girl i used to train, then ended up dating for arm candy, would catch me after a set and ask "why'd you do 9 reps?" Or "why'd you only do 6?" While I'd have them do 10 or 12 or 15.

Reg clients too. "Why'd you have me go to 13 when you said 10?"

Answer? Experience.

Same, usually I'm so focused on my sets that I don't even know what number I'm on, I'd be like "5 6 7 11 12 13" then my girl would be like you did 10 lol

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 03:07:37 AM »
I'd have to concentrate more on not counting than on counting.

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 03:21:23 AM »
How could it be that the right number of reps to do is ever some square number, like 10 or "6-8".

I think people mostly count reps so that they can communicate their workout ideas. Studies also center on reps because it's easier to design tests around them.

I think any experienced "trainee" should probably just trust their instincts instead of doing another rep because they had planned to.

I always find myself thinking "okay I did eight reps, let's go for 10" for seemingly no other reason than "10 is a round number". This seems really absurd...

Thinking about numbers takes your focus away from the exercise, too.

You probably stopped making meaningful progress roughly 10-15 years ago, so you are disillusioned about all basic concepts that pertain to weight training. Seriously, you are making thread about "reps". You lost your mind years ago. Soon you will be Mike Mentzer, obsessing over the past until it kills you.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 05:29:41 AM »
 ???  How else can you tell if you're improving or not?

If you did 10 reps squatting 315, then got 12 reps 2-3 weeks later, you've improved.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 06:42:19 AM »

If you did 10 reps squatting 315, then got 12 reps 2-3 weeks later, you've improved.

Beat me to it. If it's pointless to count reps, then by that same logic, isn't it also pointless to keep track of what weight you're using?

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2017, 09:05:25 AM »
Go by feel.

Blasting away for that one extra rep when I'm already spent already cost me a bicep tear ans super ducked up vertebrae in my neck.

County reps and wait to gauge progress is okay and cool and all when you're starting out but I've been training since 1996, after a while learn what feels right and what feels necessary

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2017, 09:10:17 AM »
you count the drinks you drink.  :D

robcguns

• Getbig V
  • Founder of the proud straight white male movement
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2017, 09:10:39 AM »
I just go as far as I can within reason.If curling I curl till I can’t curl anymore and sometimes it’s 100 reps and others it’s 15.I count to a point just to know I’m getting enough reps but I have no set rep scheme.

tres_taco_combo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2017, 09:17:28 AM »
every so often i will count a random rep out loud

;D

TheGrinch

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2017, 10:10:54 AM »
Vince Gironda 8x8

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2017, 10:31:21 AM »

Beat me to it. If it's pointless to count reps, then by that same logic, isn't it also pointless to keep track of what weight you're using?

What these guys said.  Counting reps per se doesn't do squat to make your workout more intense, but it does help you track your progress.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2017, 10:47:54 AM »
I guess the stopwatches that elite distance runners use are a waste of time as well.

QuietYou

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2017, 10:49:23 AM »
Counting reps is dumb unless you're going super heavy.

If you're on AAS and lifting hard who gives a fuck as long as you're working the muscle hard?

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2017, 10:51:21 AM »
This thread is weird!!

Ever hear of "rep goals"  ???

WalterWhite

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2017, 10:54:45 AM »
I like to have someone screaming "one more rep" and "beast mode" at me while training. Sometimes I have it recorded because I often get strange looks when I ask a woman at the gym to spot and yell at me.

A face slap is the best motivator after four scoops of pre workout.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2017, 11:01:13 AM »
I like to have someone screaming "one more rep" and "beast mode" at me while training. Sometimes I have it recorded because I often get strange looks when I ask a woman at the gym to spot and yell at me.

A face slap is the best motivator after four scoops of pre workout.
I`d slap you anytime big boy!  LOL  :D

NO HOMO

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2017, 11:54:00 AM »
next you're going to say no of posts shouldnt be counted either  ::)

Diesel618

• Getbig II
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2017, 11:59:37 AM »

Exactly. Progressive Overload. We use reps to calculate total volume. The easiest way to improve is to increase volume in a structured way over time. We obviously can't just increase the weight every workout. We can play with tempo and TUT stuff but it's much more difficult to measure as far as overall training volume than reps. If I just 'go by feel' I become a prisoner to comfort and end up doing the same thing and looking the same month after month. I end up relying too heavily on the drugs to see progress (which is usually just temporary increases in glycogen stores which will disappear once said drug is discontinued.)

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2017, 12:33:25 PM »
You probably stopped making meaningful progress roughly 10-15 years ago, so you are disillusioned about all basic concepts that pertain to weight training. Seriously, you are making thread about "reps". You lost your mind years ago. Soon you will be Mike Mentzer, obsessing over the past until it kills you.

I make "progress" all the time, in that i learn how to warm up a little better, hurt myself a little less, waste a little less time, or sometimes even get a little stronger. I don't need numbers for these things, and the outside observer would probably just laugh at me and say "okay buddy..." -- you're right.

But does the story change if I start counting reps? You think I would suddenly be "adding five pounds to my bench" or consistently "adding one more rep per set", if only I started counting numbers. ???

Let's say you're right. How long can anyone keep "progressing" like this?

Like most people, I'm not going to follow some byzantine periodic scheme which maps out the next two years of my life. That leaves me to simple plans like, "well, I lifted four reps last workout and so I'm gonna try for five reps this week." Sure, this plan works great for a year or two, but then what? If we could all add any meaningful amount of anything every session, we'd be benching five thousand pounds ten years in.

Let's take a modest example. Say you do three sets of ten. When you can do all sets with good form, you add five pounds. Maybe you get something like 10, 9, 7 reps the next workout; 10,10,8 the next; and 10,10,10 again the third session. Is this too ambitious? After years of listening to and reading gym stories, I think most people call plans like this "reasonable". It works out to about 5 pounds a month.

The improvements each session are about as minuscule as anyone has the attention span for, I think, and this still works out to sixty pounds a year. So after five years, I've added 300 lbs to my bench?

lol... the reality is, do everything right and you can max out in a couple years, then goodbye "progress" in the sense of adding more weight or reps. So what do you do for the next ten, twenty, thirty years? Follow some increasingly arcane and "unfalsifiable" workout plan, claiming you're "making progress"?

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2017, 12:36:18 PM »
This thread is weird!!

Ever hear of "rep goals"  ???

You've looked exactly the same for decades, what have your "goals" done for you ???

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2017, 12:46:05 PM »
but anyway, this is all aside from the point: if you're lifting hard, and you get to rep 6 and feel like the next rep is gonna snap your spine, why would you go for your planned ten reps? conversely, if you get to the end of your last set and feel like the muscle isn't very stimulated, why not do another set or two?

do plans like "three sets of ten" or "five sets of five" ever seem to magically be "just right"?

sceagacros

• Getbig III
  • Happy holidays, have you considered suicide?
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2017, 12:55:09 PM »
Counting reps makes perfect sense if you are a strength athlete and have a certain amount of reps at a certain percent that you don't won't to exceed for CNS reasons. If you are a bodybuilder - not having a reason to count reps is the least of your problems.............. jk  ;D