Author Topic: Derek Poundstone - In honor of a great Strongman Competitor  (Read 2856 times)

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
Derek Poundstone - In honor of a great Strongman Competitor
« on: January 01, 2018, 06:42:37 PM »
Mr. Poundstone has been out of the Strongman Community for quite some time due to many injuries. In May, there was talk that he would be making a comeback. But, he just sort of "fell off the face of the earth."

"I often get asked why I stepped away from the sport of #strongman !! Truth be told that after suffering 4 disk injuries in my back, fracturing a vertebra, tearing a quad and tearing a pec, I still was ready to come back for more each time. That was until I tore my bicepts right in the middle of the muscle belly. The injury was relatively mild compared to what I've suffered in the past. The recovery was long for me and I just got tired of the constant abuse on my body. This is the first time I've showed this "scar" and actually officially announced that I'm no longer competing in strongman. My last competition was just about 2 years ago and I ended my career the same way I started, with a win."

2013 Bicep tear
X

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
Re: In honor of a great Strongman Competitor, Derek Poundstone
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 07:30:47 PM »
Thanks for the update.  I had wondered what happened to Derek, a great competitor and much like Brian Shaw, he seems a gentleman.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 08:44:51 PM »
Epic hole in the bicep, never seen that before.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 03:51:12 AM »
It was almost like he disappeared overnight. Great competitor during his prime. Kevin Nee is another American strongman who just left the scene quite abruptly.

Skylge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 04:42:14 AM »
Steroids allow such guys to lift way more than their joints etc can handle = much bigger risk of injuries

QuietYou

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 04:49:29 AM »
Thats one big mofo

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 05:16:33 AM »
Cool dude who had a very impressive physique at his peak.

BEEFYHEAVYWEIGHT

• Getbig IV
  • Grimek
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 06:22:09 AM »
He should stay retired and drop a ton of his bodyweight so as to stay alive. Either way...if he comes out of retirement he will most likely be dead within no time from a massive heart attack or stroke. If he stays retired and doesnt lose weight...he most likely will suffer the same, but maybe a few years later.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 06:35:45 AM »
Wow, he’s really puffed-out since his retirement. I mean no disrespect. Fact is, he’s probably much healthier being less “tight”.

I wish Derek the best. Never heard a bad word spoken about him.

There’s no question he was a superhero when it comes to functional strength. But as another Getbigger says, these guys propel their performance dramatically beyond what their bodies have adequately adapted to with the use of what amounts to rocket fuel.

With good response to gear, a 500-pound squatter can be using over 700 within a year. For example. This kind of strength bump in such a short time cannot he equaled by all the supporting structures.

Injuries are bound to happen.

We’re seeing dramatically shortened careers in strength sports for this very reason. The performance increases are insane and the bodies can’t keep pace as whole machines.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 08:41:11 AM »
It was almost like he disappeared overnight. Great competitor during his prime. Kevin Nee is another American strongman who just left the scene quite abruptly.

Exactly. I remember reading about him and watching some of his youtube videos. Then, as you said, its almost like he disappeared overnight. I just stopped hearing about him. I am not too sure what triggered his name, but looked him up. Anyway, seems like he is doing well. I believe he's still a Connecticut cop.
X

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 06:26:16 PM »
There was a guy when I was in college, Johnny Perry I think, who was huge and died at 27 of a heart attack. He was a beast. These dudes really can overdo it.

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 02:50:36 AM »
There was a guy when I was in college, Johnny Perry I think, who was huge and died at 27 of a heart attack. He was a beast. These dudes really can overdo it.

There have been three top American strongmen over the past 2 decades who have died suddenly during their prime years; Johnny Perry, Jesse Marunde and Mike Jenkins. Heavy use of PED's combined with being +300lbs year round isn't good for the heart.  

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 04:22:24 AM »

Johnny was a big fan of cocaine.

There was a cousin or brother of Derek busted in rapid city south Dakota for anabolic while i was in prison. Forget their first name. Might've been a brother in law.

Not sure if Derek can be an active cop with that beard. Most places require a clean shave aside from a mustache. Maybe he's reserve.