Author Topic: Old guy (Masters) State records - worth it?  (Read 2141 times)

sceagacros

• Getbig III
  • Happy holidays, have you considered suicide?
Old guy (Masters) State records - worth it?
« on: January 02, 2018, 12:04:11 AM »
It did not go unnoticed by me that by simply turning 50 my personal bests are now within peaking range of several State level Masters titles.
At the same time I'm intelligent enough to understand that this likely has MUCH more to do with hardly anyone over 50 bothering to show up to compete in certain States,  
than with me being some sort of golden years phenom......

Believe it or not, a  Master's raw bench record for the 198 division is only 462 for the American record and much less than that , like around 350lbs for some State records
according to Powerlifting watch and GoHeavy.net.

Some records are even listed as "yet to be set"!

As everyone from Trump to Ed Coan knows, GetBig always has a brawny, Kigtropin filled finger on the current pulse of all things manly- so of course,  I couldn't help but wonder:
Would  an "old guy" State title be cheesy as fuck?  Or a worthwhile goal?  in the GetBig consensual opinion............

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
Re: Old guy (Masters) State records - worth it?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 12:19:59 AM »
State level - If it's not too much trouble and is close to how you normally train, and you enjoy it, sure, why not try for it. Also pick a good fed. That has  a lot to do with the respectability of a title now.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 12:32:24 AM »
I say go for it !!

tres_taco_combo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 10:14:27 AM »
It did not go unnoticed by me that by simply turning 50 my personal bests are now within peaking range of several State level Masters titles.
At the same time I'm intelligent enough to understand that this likely has MUCH more to do with hardly anyone over 50 bothering to show up to compete in certain States,  

Believe it or not, a  Master's raw bench record for the 198 division is only 462 for the American record and much less than that , like around 350lbs for some State records

As everyone from Trump to Ed Coan knows, GetBig always has a brawny, Kigtropin filled finger on the current pulse of all things manly- so of course,  I couldn't help but wonder:
Would  an "old guy" State title be cheesy as fuck?  Or a worthwhile goal?  in the GetBig consensual opinion............

1. who cares what others think

2. men need to have tangible goals, keeps you young, hungry, motivated and gives you something to strive for  so yes, what your goal is, do it.

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 10:18:24 AM »

2. men need to have tangible goals, keeps you young, hungry, motivated and gives you something to strive for  so yes, what your goal is, do it.

This ^^

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 10:18:34 AM »

funny you brought this up, my newspaper had an article today.....about a guy setting the penna. stat record in the 198 lb class 65-69 division... record was only 264 lbs... ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
F

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 10:24:25 AM »

A 462 at 198, raw, is monstrous ... even for a younger lifter. This has gotta be gassed.

Anyway, yeah, if you’re into it, go for it. As long as it’s fun.

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 11:19:25 AM »
Do it!

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 01:17:30 PM »
A 462 at 198, raw, is monstrous ... even for a younger lifter. This has gotta be gassed.

For once I agree with this bobblehead.

What state you in snotgrass?

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 01:19:41 PM »

Yep yep

Fuck others and what they think and do what you gotta do as long as you ain't hurting nobody

SomeKindofMonster

• Getbig III
  • RC is SomeKindOfMonster
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 03:09:54 PM »
I think it would be cool to say, "no one over 50 has ever
benched more than me in your state" officially.

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 03:33:21 PM »

That is a Big bench - Got to be using.

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2018, 03:35:12 PM »

Why not
If you’re close to the record in training
Give it a go - claim some records !!

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2018, 03:38:14 PM »

That has got to ba as shirted bench right?

Hello, Blakely himself only benched 440 @ 220 shirt free a d it was when he was in his prime late 20-early 30

How do i know? Well i was his liftoff man at the meet he did it in

QuietYou

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2018, 03:57:32 PM »
Don't do anything that will take you more than 8 weeks to train for

TTfit

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2018, 04:06:20 PM »
Damn right it's a worthwhile goal!

Bragging rights go a long way at that age. Never stop bettering yourself.

Why the fuck should young athletes be the only ones recognized. The average Olympian is between the age of 19 to 28.....no kids, no career, etc. They have all the time in the world to master their craft. But someone 50 has kids, a wife, a career, etc. To work with that AND set an athletic record? Respect.

sceagacros

• Getbig III
  • Happy holidays, have you considered suicide?
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2018, 06:15:26 AM »
At this point in my life I still hit bench singles and doubles at 315 raw without specifically training for strength anymore.
This leads me to believe that - barring injury, I'm within short term peaking distance of 350-375lbs  at the very least, more , I believe (perhaps stupidly) if I dug into strength training again long term.

My State is Colorado , and I'm on low (250mg/wk) cruises for most of the year with one , maybe two blasts a year at 750-1200 mg/wk which I would of course time to coincide with the meet if I go forward with this.

According to USPA.net the Non-tested - Raw - Colorado records is just 142.50 kgs / 314.16 lbs for the 90kg/198.2lb Masters class!!!???!!!???

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2018, 07:29:10 AM »
How strict is that fed?

Ipf is very strict and you cant even move your fuckingfeet during the lift and it is  a true 2 second pause at the chest

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2018, 08:44:11 AM »

If you can do it, do it.

350 for a state record has to be Alaska... Or west Virginia... Or north Dakota.

I knew 50yr olds (white guys even) who'd hit that in prison.

VladimirVersic

• Competitors
  • Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2018, 08:53:46 AM »
It is worthwile. Why not.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2018, 11:39:09 AM »
For what it's worth, the problem with the records is that they're spread over a few feds, and there's been some reshuffling of the weight classes.

Here is records database for the USAPL / IPF in Colorado, it is indeed only in the #340 range for that masters class (you'd need to be able to pass a drug test) -

http://usapl.liftingdatabase.com/records-default?recordtypeid=43&categoryid= .

The USPF doesn't have state records up, but the American records are similar -

https://uspfthelegend.com/uploads/Men_Raw_Master_FP.pdf .

The USPA Raw Colorado Masters Untested is only a hair under #315 -

http://uspa.net/non-tested-colorado-raw-bench-only.html .

The World Record in the RPS Raw Amateur is only a hair under #400 -

http://revolutionpowerlifting.com/records/recordam.php .

The WPC World Raw record for raw bench is #462 by Larry Wilcoxon. That so far is the highest 50+ masters class bench I can find in the #198ish class.