Author Topic: Bulking is a terrible idea  (Read 125365 times)

Tennisballz

• Getbig IV
  • You CANNOT be serious!
Bulking is a terrible idea
« on: January 12, 2018, 03:49:15 PM »
Can we all agree on this now?  If you aren't on a lot of drugs, bulking is one of the worst things you can do.  If it's your first year of training you can be a little relaxed on what you eat as you will put on 10-15 pounds of muscle.  After that, there is no reason to eat more than a 5-10% calorie surplus.  Every time you go on youtube you see these fake natties talking about bulking and their "off season" diet.  What it's become is the lazy narcissistic mentality of the fitness community justifying over eating, complacency and food wasting.

What's your opinion and or experiences with bulking?

cephissus

• Getbig V
Re: Bulking is a terrible idea
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 04:02:56 PM »
One thing I'll never forget, there was this huge guy on the T-nation forums, "professor x" who was a serious advocate of bulking. I remember him saying something like, "everyone gets big by bulking, then turns around and talks shit about it later in their career."

I was guilty as charged, but now I'll just say, "who knows"? Would I have been better or worse had I never bulked? Obviously, I'll never be able to say from experience.

chess315

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 04:21:49 PM »
I think you should bulk why not when you get down to it the most important thing in lifting is gaining weight

Explorerspl

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 04:43:20 PM »
One thing I'll never forget, there was this huge guy on the T-nation forums, "professor x" who was a serious advocate of bulking. I remember him saying something like, "everyone gets big by bulking, then turns around and talks shit about it later in their career."

I was guilty as charged, but now I'll just say, "who knows"? Would I have been better or worse had I never bulked? Obviously, I'll never be able to say from experience.

He is correct, just like they all built their mass by lifting heavier and heavier over the years and then they say hat lifting heavy is pointless and just causes injury

sceagacros

• Getbig III
  • Happy holidays, have you considered suicide?
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 04:50:49 PM »
Bulking might be a terrible idea if you are natural and a bodybuilder, I can think of many other weight lifting scenarios where this is not the case.
The easiest way to put some pounds on your bench is to put some pounds on your frame, irrespective of whether it's in vogue or not.

Eddie Hall claims that one of the main reasons he was able to eventually become WSM was that he made a point to weigh as much as the other taller, and naturally heavier competitors...

I think the best thing is bulking and then staying at the new weight for a year or so until it recomps to an acceptable degree then rinse and repeat, but then I'm not a bodybuilder so my goals and ideas of what is cool may be different than others here.

I personally made the mistake in the past of perma bulking without ever recomping at new weights and THAT doesn't work so well IMHO.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 04:59:28 PM »
I remember when I first started to work out, I wanted to look like Lee Priest so I bulked (and I thought I could do it natural, as I assumed Lee was natural  :D :D ). At my heaviest, I was like 205.

These days, I am down to like 170, feel lighter and much better. Its all about health. I see no point in "bulking up." For what?
X

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 05:26:31 PM »
Is there a good rule of thumb such as stay within 30lbs of stage weight or stay under 15%?

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 05:30:45 PM »
240 or bust and billy gunz found out the hard way that bulking simply makes you a fatass.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 06:25:36 PM »
A friend goes to a hard core power lifting gym and put up videos on facebook. One fat slob after another in the videos. Who cares what you can lift if your gas tank is so small you get tired slow trotting a mile? Who cares about cheat bench shirt poundage if you look like a slob?

When I was younger I was incredibly lean from being on the track team in high school and college. Then bodybuilding took over my life and all I cared about was getting big. Drank those gain weight shakes for over a decade. I really think I damaged my health consuming all those calories. I got big and strong but also fat.

Even Arnold, Zane and Franco said bulking is a mistake. Make no mistake. Skinny looks better that fat. In clothes and with your shirt off. The only thing that might dupe people are perma bulkers that look great in a shirt until they hit the beach. Then the gig is up.

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 07:06:44 PM »
Can we all agree on this now?  If you aren't on a lot of drugs, bulking is one of the worst things you can do.  If it's your first year of training you can be a little relaxed on what you eat as you will put on 10-15 pounds of muscle.  After that, there is no reason to eat more than a 5-10% calorie surplus.  Every time you go on youtube you see these fake natties talking about bulking and their "off season" diet.  What it's become is the lazy narcissistic mentality of the fitness community justifying over eating, complacency and food wasting.

10-15lbs ? I put on 30 my first year. And 30 my 2nd year. And 20 or so my 3rd yr.

Eat enough to grow. Simple as that.

If you're not using PEDs, you're not really "bodybuilding"... Not unless you have some sort of elite genetics. 90% of "bodybuilders" , without steroids, can at best hope to achieve a Men's Health physique.

Without steroids, like most people here, you're just weightlifters.

Tennisballz

• Getbig IV
  • You CANNOT be serious!
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 07:20:32 PM »
10-15lbs ? I put on 30 my first year. And 30 my 2nd year. And 20 or so my 3rd yr.

Eat enough to grow. Simple as that.

If you're not using PEDs, you're not really "bodybuilding"... Not unless you have some sort of elite genetics. 90% of "bodybuilders" , without steroids, can at best hope to achieve a Men's Health physique.

Without steroids, like most people here, you're just weightlifters.
80 pounds in 3 years??  How much of that was muscle though?  Probably no more than 25 pounds or so.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 07:21:33 PM »

So is staying too lean

Tennisballz

• Getbig IV
  • You CANNOT be serious!
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 07:27:36 PM »
So is staying too lean
I agree.  What do you think we should all be aiming for body fat wise?  I feel like somewhere around 12% will give us the best possible scenario in terms of look, health and performance.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2018, 07:30:31 PM »
I agree.  What do you think we should all be aiming for body fat wise?  I feel like somewhere around 12% will give us the best possible scenario in terms of look, health and performance.

You should aim to look like this year around

X

Tennisballz

• Getbig IV
  • You CANNOT be serious!
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2018, 07:32:23 PM »
I remember when I first started to work out, I wanted to look like Lee Priest so I bulked (and I thought I could do it natural, as I assumed Lee was natural  :D :D ). At my heaviest, I was like 205.

These days, I am down to like 170, feel lighter and much better. Its all about health. I see no point in "bulking up." For what?
I had a similar path.  I went up to about 200 give or take and was stronger, but didn't feel as good as I do at 180. I have always thought that maybe a crazy bulk might be a good idea when you first start lifting at age 18 or so.  Just bulking to like 230 over a couple years and putting on the maximum possible amount of muscle.  Then cutting very slowly down to the desired weight and trying to keep as much as possible.  Then never bulking again.  Probably not a good idea but I've always wondered since I never tried that when I was younger.

Tennisballz

• Getbig IV
  • You CANNOT be serious!
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2018, 07:33:57 PM »
You should aim to look like this year around

I wonder what Goodrum's body fat actually was at it's lowest.  A smooth watery Billy Guns came into the show and made him look fat.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2018, 07:37:02 PM »

Yep, I agree.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2018, 07:42:49 PM »
I had a similar path.  I went up to about 200 give or take and was stronger, but didn't feel as good as I do at 180. I have always thought that maybe a crazy bulk might be a good idea when you first start lifting at age 18 or so.  Just bulking to like 230 over a couple years and putting on the maximum possible amount of muscle.  Then cutting very slowly down to the desired weight and trying to keep as much as possible.  Then never bulking again.  Probably not a good idea but I've always wondered since I never tried that when I was younger.

Yeah, I surmise when you're younger you can get away with it. As you get older, not so much.

I still want to slim down a little more, hoping not to sacrifice too much muscle.
X

tres_taco_combo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2018, 07:47:19 PM »
its ok to bulk but most never CUT after their bulk

when i mean cut, cut as if you are getting into single digit BF

also it is a sign of the times. being big is not "in" like the 1980s or 1990s

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2018, 07:57:39 PM »

Bulking up is a waste of fucking time. The three tenets of bodybuilding are 1) exercising right, 2) eating right and 3) being able to see your muscles react to the stress.

Most of the folks I know that gave up getting in shape are the ones walking around at 40%+ body-fat. Hence not being able to see their muscles, or their pecker for that matter.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2018, 08:02:13 PM »
 Bulking without drugs is essentially getting fat

Mobil

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2018, 08:49:45 PM »
i explain my point of view from being a past "perma Bulker" for several years when i was younger... you lose your looks because your face gets fat(bloated) and you dont get as much pussy...if your married then i guess its ok...somewhat(they get jelly when you look good)...when you get cut and have the lean face...womens comes crawlings....even if you are ugly you still look more attractive to women having a chisled face...just my experience :)
real men= no rubbers

tres_taco_combo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2018, 08:53:48 PM »
i explain my point of view from being a past "perma Bulker" for several years when i was younger... you lose your looks because your face gets fat(bloated) and you dont get as much pussy...if your married then i guess its ok...somewhat(they get jelly when you look good)...when you get cut and have the lean face...womens comes crawlings....even if you are ugly you still look more attractive to women

lean face is the top of the house for a male

Mobil

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2018, 08:58:05 PM »
lean face is the top of the house for a male

its night and day...from my personal experience
real men= no rubbers

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2018, 08:59:12 PM »
Yeah, I surmise when you're younger you can get away with it. As you get older, not so much.

I still want to slim down a little more, hoping not to sacrifice too much muscle.
Don't eat so much rice then, chingaling.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!