Author Topic: Mike Tyson bench press claims  (Read 3222 times)

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
Re: Mike Tyson bench press claims
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2018, 11:40:27 AM »
Boxing news article before he fought David Haye.

You shouldn't believe the things written on boxing sites. They are so often full of shit. I recall you previously saying you read on one site that Kevin McBride could bench 440lbs, yet he himself said his max was 265lbs.

chuckles

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2018, 11:51:34 AM »
Years ago, a guy who was connected with various boxing camps as a S/C coach mentioned that he'd seen Tyson get a hard mid #300's bench around the time of the first Holyfield fight, which is believable. As an aside, Lennox Lewis's claimed best was #380 at around #240 which is believable too.

This is a close approximation of the machine he claimed he did it on, they were common in high schools and other government places that needed a gym -

guess he is invisible

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2018, 12:25:52 PM »
Years ago, a guy who was connected with various boxing camps as a S/C coach mentioned that he'd seen Tyson get a hard mid #300's bench around the time of the first Holyfield fight, which is believable. As an aside, Lennox Lewis's claimed best was #380 at around #240 which is believable too.

This is a close approximation of the machine he claimed he did it on, they were common in high schools and other government places that needed a gym -

Same thing we had in my h.s. gym. Summer after I graduated Arnold came and donated all new equipment for some reason. Gym had the best lighting/skylights I've ever been in to this day.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2018, 12:34:22 PM »

These numbers are reasonable. Before this post, I’d figured a prime Tyson would likely have been good for a struggled and sloppy, say, 330-360.

chess315

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2018, 01:34:24 PM »

I wonder where a person could get one now

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2018, 01:46:43 PM »
That was the type of machine he claimed to do #250 x 10. I don't recall what the mid #300's press was done on, but I'm pretty sure it was free bar.

Those Universal machines are still pretty common here, and go cheap ($300 - 600 used). They're pretty huge, but handsome in nice shape. They are horrible for getting real numbers off of, the weight is so balanced, that you can do lots of silly things (huge arches, short strokes, etc....) while lifting on them.