Author Topic: Justice Ginsburg will not attend Trump's first State of the Union  (Read 399 times)

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/371073-ginsburg-will-not-attend-trumps-first-state-of-the-union

Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg will not be in attendance at President Trump's first State of the Union address on Tuesday.

Ginsburg is scheduled to be at Roger Williams University in Rhode Island for her speaking tour on Tuesday, according to The Associated Press.

While Ginsburg has been critical of Trump in the past, her talk at the university was announced last August.

Ginsburg did not attend Trump's address to Congress last year after attending all eight of former President Obama's addresses.
Justices Samuel Alito and Clarence Thomas also did not attend Trump's address.

It is not abnormal for Supreme Court justices to skip out on the annual presidential addresses.

Late Justice Antonin Scalia had not attended a State of the Union since 1997 prior to his death in 2016.

"You just sit there, looking stupid," Scalia once said, according to CNN.

Alito, who famously shook his head and mouthed "not true" after Obama criticized the court in his 2010 State of the Union, said after the address he would not attend in the near future, saying he felt "like the proverbial potted plant."

Ginsburg and Trump have clashed in the past.

The justice referred to then-candidate Trump as a "faker" in 2016, and said she could not imagine what the country would be like with Trump as president.

Trump fired back on Twitter, saying she should step down from her post. 

Trump appealed to his base on the campaign trail through promising to pack federal courts with conservative judges.

He appealed to conservatives last year when he appointed Justice Neil Gorsuch to the highest court.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
Re: Justice Ginsburg will not attend Trump's first State of the Union
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 09:40:53 AM »
The Mad Hatter.

Frederica Wilson — I Am Skipping State Of The Union; Trump Is Hateful To Blacks

Democratic Rep. Frederica Wilson won’t be attending President Trump’s first State of the Union address Tuesday because she doesn’t think he deserves to be honored.

“To go would be to honor the president and I don’t think he deserves to be honored at this time, after being so hateful towards black people and then black countries,” she told CNN on Monday.

Wilson announced earlier this month she would be skipping the event, months after her feud with the White House in the wake of the death of Army Sgt. La David Johnson.

On Monday, Wilson pointed to Trump’s comments about “shithole countries” to underscore why she will not attend.

“It hurts. He has brought the White House to the lowest and I don’t think he needs to be honored with my presence,” she said.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 11:43:11 AM »
They should go and do what Joe Wilson and Sam Alito did during Obama's State of the Union speeches

Given that any time Trump speaks he can't help but lie there should be plenty of opportunties

And also given that Republican have set the precedent for this behavour I'm sure no one would have any issues if Democrats did the same thing

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 11:49:42 AM »
They should go and do what Joe Wilson and Sam Alito did during Obama's State of the Union speeches

Given that any time Trump speaks he can't help but lie there should be plenty of opportunties

And also given that Republican have set the precedent for this behavour I'm sure no one would have any issues if Democrats did the same thing

Hey Straw Man, good to have you back.

I thought you were gone for good after your "I'm really leaving this time you guys" speech.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 11:52:53 AM »
The Mad Hatter.

Frederica Wilson — I Am Skipping State Of The Union; Trump Is Hateful To Blacks

Democratic Rep. Frederica Wilson won’t be attending President Trump’s first State of the Union address Tuesday because she doesn’t think he deserves to be honored.

“To go would be to honor the president and I don’t think he deserves to be honored at this time, after being so hateful towards black people and then black countries,” she told CNN on Monday.

Wilson announced earlier this month she would be skipping the event, months after her feud with the White House in the wake of the death of Army Sgt. La David Johnson.

On Monday, Wilson pointed to Trump’s comments about “shithole countries” to underscore why she will not attend.

“It hurts. He has brought the White House to the lowest and I don’t think he needs to be honored with my presence,” she said.

Good.  Liberals can be such hypersensitive pansies.