Author Topic: Squats & Hamstrings  (Read 8181 times)

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
Re: Squats & Hamstrings
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2018, 12:35:48 PM »
hahaha, its all everyone talks about on this forum....

"Glutes are the new abs"

chess315

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2018, 12:45:12 PM »
No one talks about the glute muscle. It's the muscle that draws the femur backwards. It incredibly important to sprinting and jumping. Of course no muscle works in isolation but there is too much talk of the quad in sport when it's the glute that's doing the lion's share in my many athletics from kinesiology evaluation.
yes if your trying to pick up whores having a nice ass goes far and hamstrings

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2018, 12:59:46 PM »
The hamstrings role in hip extension is more that of a stabilizer muscle than a primary mover. That’s why you don’t see big hams among people who only do squats for legs.

yes but people keep talking about squats when theyre talking about leg development which isnt telling the whole story

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2018, 01:01:26 PM »
No one talks about the glute muscle. It's the muscle that draws the femur backwards. It incredibly important to sprinting and jumping. Of course no muscle works in isolation but there is too much talk of the quad in sport when it's the glute that's doing the lion's share in my many athletics from kinesiology evaluation.

yes the big asses of sprinters and fighters like tyron woodley cannot be underestimated

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2018, 01:17:20 PM »
I'm beginning to think deadlifts build a better lower body then squats for most, it's not really your quads that matter as much as your butt hamstrings plus deadlifts thicken your upper back traditional deadlifts Trump squats for the average person

Hmmm - Deadlifts are a very good overall mass / strength builder

I don’t think they are better overall lower body building exercise than various
Forms of squatting- look at Olympic weightlifters they spend a lot of time squatting
Fronts & backs also cleans & power cleans not so much just deadlifting
And they generally have great lower body development & overall power / strength.

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2018, 02:48:54 PM »
The hamstrings role in hip extension is more that of a stabilizer muscle than a primary mover. That’s why you don’t see big hams among people who only do squats for legs.

Hip extension is the main function of the hamstrings!  Yeah sure, they flex the knee too but that's only one head of the muscle.

A stiff legged deadlift or good morning is essentially pure hip extension, and those exercises target the glutes & hamstrings.  Minimal quad involvement.  Do you disagree with this?

chess315

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2018, 02:57:01 PM »
Hip extension is the main function of the hamstrings!  Yeah sure, they flex the knee too but that's only one head of the muscle.

A stiff legged deadlift or good morning is essentially pure hip extension, and those exercises target the glutes & hamstrings.  Minimal quad involvement.  Do you disagree with this?
traditional deadlifts do well also plus work the upper back and quads to I agree with you though all these are better than leg curls

chess315

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2018, 02:59:31 PM »
Yes if having a strong ass is more important than anything. In fighting, football, hitting and throwing. Leg curls ready don't do shit or very little pretty much a waste of time

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2018, 03:17:01 PM »
Hip extension is the main function of the hamstrings!  Yeah sure, they flex the knee too but that's only one head of the muscle.

A stiff legged deadlift or good morning is essentially pure hip extension, and those exercises target the glutes & hamstrings.  Minimal quad involvement.  Do you disagree with this?

Yes I do. The primary mover in those exercises are the spinal erectors. They extend the hip and as well as the torso.

chess315

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2018, 03:43:08 PM »
Yes I do. The primary mover in those exercises are the spinal erectors. They extend the hip and as well as the torso.

yes that's why I say why not traditional deadlift to get all the other muscle groups involved

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2018, 04:42:10 PM »
Craig "Killer " Titus some of the best Hams ever. He gave up doing heavy squats for good...

chuckles

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2018, 11:55:55 PM »
Tight muscular Buns are a must & as you pointed out important in many sports. THE SQUAT IS THE KING.

chuckles

« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2018, 12:00:41 AM »
Squats is better than deadlifts is totally bro science
It's common sense. You can't develop a lower body with Deadlifts like you can with the squat. People are just wimping out of doing them. Hard ass, balls to walls Squats. you have to use them at least in the beginning as Yates did for that foundation of mass & strength..note the word STRENGTH. REAL MUSCLE.

VladimirVersic

• Competitors
  • Getbig III
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2018, 12:11:54 AM »
This hamstrings play a small role at the bottom of squats when the pelvis tilts anteriorly. That creates a stretch reflex response at the “Proximal” end, causing the hams to contract, but it’s not an active contraction. The lion’s share of the work is being done by the glutes and the quads. The former pulls the femur back down and pushes the pelvis forward and up. The latter pushes the femur down and back and the tibia up and back.

Good find, btw.

Must say you Sir seem wery knowegable in anatomy.
What is Your occupation if i can ask?  ;D
And i heard that about sprinting.
Use some form of it running up and down a hump of sand.
Also jumps to front and side to side.
Of course Squat is my main movement.

chuckles

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2018, 03:11:48 AM »
 :)

chuckles

« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2018, 04:46:59 AM »
Hardcore training. This dude knows

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2018, 04:59:58 AM »
Must say you Sir seem wery knowegable in anatomy.
What is Your occupation if i can ask?  ;D
And i heard that about sprinting.
Use some form of it running up and down a hump of sand.
Also jumps to front and side to side.
Of course Squat is my main movement.

Thanks👍 I worked as a trainer way back in the day before you even needed a certification to get a gig. But I got out of that business. I’ve also studied a lot of martial arts and tried to learn as much as I could about the biomechanics behind them. It’s an incredibly complex subject. That’s why I give Rippeto credit. At least he tries to tackle it.

As far as the best hamstring exercise, I would have to go with the single leg leg-curl.  It allows you to keep your hips extended better than the two legged version.

chess315

« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2018, 02:49:19 PM »
Thanks👍 I worked as a trainer way back in the day before you even needed a certification to get a gig. But I got out of that business. I’ve also studied a lot of martial arts and tried to learn as much as I could about the biomechanics behind them. It’s an incredibly complex subject. That’s why I give Rippeto credit. At least he tries to tackle it.

As far as the best hamstring exercise, I would have to go with the single leg leg-curl.  It allows you to keep your hips extended better than the two legged version.
bullshit just like martial arts

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2018, 02:51:39 PM »
Hardcore training. This dude knows

I like how he has a special place for his brushes and dustpan yet the place is an absolute shithole

chess315

« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2018, 02:53:05 PM »
I'm not arguing that squats will build bigger legs , deadlifts will build more asthetic legs for the average person.

chuckles

« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2018, 12:54:23 AM »
I'm not arguing that squats will build bigger legs , deadlifts will build more asthetic legs for the average person.
well if you want to do that you would be better with barbell hacks. Bertil Fox did these & he was strong indeed.

chuckles

« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2018, 01:01:13 AM »
Danny Padilla another great bodybuilder..

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2018, 04:45:27 AM »

I agree, deadlifts alone are still going to build legs.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2018, 05:16:32 AM »
I agree, deadlifts alone are still going to build legs.

Another argument for deadlifts is that they don’t require that a metal bar dig into your upper back.

That said, for the average person just looking for overall strength and fitness, and not maximum size, bodyweight squats are a very good option.

chuckles

« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2018, 05:23:13 AM »
Another argument for deadlifts is that they don’t require that a metal bar dig into your upper back.

That said, for the average person just looking for overall strength and fitness, and not maximum size, bodyweight squats are a very good option.
Pre-exhaust the Quads yes but alone free hand squats(one legged better) won't cut it. Listen to the plates rattle when platz squats...music bro...music.