Author Topic: Squats & Hamstrings  (Read 8210 times)

chuckles

Squats & Hamstrings
« on: February 14, 2018, 04:24:05 AM »
The Master explains.

sceagacros

• Getbig III
  • Happy holidays, have you considered suicide?
Re: Squats & Hamstrings
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 04:36:15 AM »
Good find, a beast back in his day Mark was......

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 05:30:37 AM »
The Master explains.

Hmmm He knows his anatomy & biomechanics
A lot of talking for very little relevant information
He could of easily condensed that into a few minutes max

Lesson No.1 how to bore your students.

chuckles

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 05:53:43 AM »
Hmmm He knows his anatomy & biomechanics
A lot of talking for very little relevant information
He could of easily condensed that into a few minutes max

Lesson No.1 how to bore your students.
True but is he correct also if you earn a living from it you got to juice it up...no pun intended..

chess315

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 07:42:21 AM »
I'm beginning to think deadlifts build a better lower body then squats for most, it's not really your quads that matter as much as your butt hamstrings plus deadlifts thicken your upper back traditional deadlifts Trump squats for the average person

sceagacros

• Getbig III
  • Happy holidays, have you considered suicide?
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 07:58:10 AM »
I can drive my deadlift up with squats only, at least for a while - but the reverse is not true (for me).

As for aesthetics? In my opinion using Romanian dead-lifts and front squats for the main hip hinge and knee extension movements produce the most mass on the lower body while still creating strength ultimately transferable to the powerlifts when one switches back.

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 08:22:58 AM »
I'm beginning to think deadlifts build a better lower body then squats for most, it's not really your quads that matter as much as your butt hamstrings plus deadlifts thicken your upper back traditional deadlifts Trump squats for the average person

Agreed.

chuckles

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 08:24:02 AM »
I disagree. Squats train Quads,Hamstrings, depending how you do them. This is the key. You need to find a good powerlifter to show you. Not a fitness trainer clown.
I can drive my deadlift up with squats only, at least for a while - but the reverse is not true (for me).

As for aesthetics? In my opinion using Romanian dead-lifts and front squats for the main hip hinge and knee extension movements produce the most mass on the lower body while still creating strength ultimately transferable to the powerlifts when one switches back.
good post but back squat will always win..

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 09:01:46 AM »
I disagree. Squats train Quads,Hamstrings, depending how you do them. This is the key. You need to find a good powerlifter to show you. Not a fitness trainer clown.  good post but back squat will always win..

This hamstrings play a small role at the bottom of squats when the pelvis tilts anteriorly. That creates a stretch reflex response at the “Proximal” end, causing the hams to contract, but it’s not an active contraction. The lion’s share of the work is being done by the glutes and the quads. The former pulls the femur back down and pushes the pelvis forward and up. The latter pushes the femur down and back and the tibia up and back.

An exercise that he left out that would get the hamstrings into the shortest possible position is sprinting.

Good find, btw.

be back

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 09:04:07 AM »
we sit down, we stand up again...

chuckles

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2018, 09:18:25 AM »
we sit down, we stand up again...
well that is why the Squat is so important.

be back

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2018, 09:19:59 AM »
well that is why the Squat is so important.
my grandad managed to sit down and stand up for 87 years, he never put a barbell on his back.

chuckles

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2018, 09:23:55 AM »
my grandad managed to sit down and stand up for 87 years, he never put a barbell on his back.
Thank you for your intelligent, relevant input.

chuckles

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2018, 09:28:00 AM »
This hamstrings play a small role at the bottom of squats when the pelvis tilts anteriorly. That creates a stretch reflex response at the “Proximal” end, causing the hams to contract, but it’s not an active contraction. The lion’s share of the work is being done by the glutes and the quads. The former pulls the femur back down and pushes the pelvis forward and up. The latter pushes the femur down and back and the tibia up and back.

An exercise that he left out that would get the hamstrings into the shortest possible position is sprinting.

Good find, btw.
The lower i go the more Hamstrings are trained. you can't isolate any muscle so all muscles work together..so the squat is more complicated as you think. Leg press foot position is also good.

be back

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2018, 09:29:21 AM »
Thank you for your intelligent, relevant input.

thank you for another bullshit gimmick thread...

chuckles

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2018, 09:31:43 AM »
thank you for another bullshit gimmick thread...
you will never reach your true potential.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2018, 10:24:53 AM »
you will never reach your true potential.

Quite ironic to hear those words from you Donny

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2018, 10:39:50 AM »
does he talk about how shitty the hamstrings are to people squatting? how they only got 50% leg development?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2018, 11:23:02 AM »

Good find, btw.

There is one thing that Rippetoe left out (actually several because I don't agree with most of his analogies when it comes to squatting) and that's base (foot stance). I'm assuming he's not mentioning it because he uses more of traditional stance. That being said, that tends to make people more quad dominant because you're not recruiting the hamstings nearly as much as if you were going a wider stance. Wider stance (wider than shoulder width) will infact recruit much more of the entire posterior chain than the more traditional squat.

If we get into the knee pain debate, IMO, it's because of weak hamstrings (quad dominance) since the hamstrings are a flexor to the knee. When it comes to the stretch-short cycle (we train the shit of it) again, IMO, can be seen in two ways and regardless of which ways, you're still utilizing stored elastic energy.

1. In a squat, using submaximal weights (55-70%) with a 3-0-1 tempo or adding bands at less percentage using a 2-0-1 tempo

2. Plyo's would be just one of the best examples of SSC utilizing stored elastic energy. But there's many forms of plyometrics, not just box jumps

As seen here..

https://instagram.com/p/Bb2TF3lBQJW/

chess315

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2018, 12:10:35 PM »
Good hamstrings ,glutes Trump good quads the deadlift is superior for your average lifter not to mention the back thickness I'mbonly talking conventional deadlifts not sumo

chess315

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2018, 12:13:35 PM »
Squats is better than deadlifts is totally bro science

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2018, 12:20:30 PM »
does he talk about how shitty the hamstrings are to people squatting? how they only got 50% leg development?

The hamstrings role in hip extension is more that of a stabilizer muscle than a primary mover. That’s why you don’t see big hams among people who only do squats for legs.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2018, 12:22:28 PM »
No one talks about the glute muscle. It's the muscle that draws the femur backwards. It incredibly important to sprinting and jumping. Of course no muscle works in isolation but there is too much talk of the quad in sport when it's the glute that's doing the lion's share in my many athletics from kinesiology evaluation.

be back

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2018, 12:23:56 PM »
No one talks about the glute muscle. It's the muscle that draws the femur backwards. It incredibly important to sprinting and jumping. Of course no muscle works in isolation but there is too much talk of the quad in sport when it's the glute that's doing the lion's share in my many athletics from kinesiology evaluation.

hahaha, its all everyone talks about on this forum....

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2018, 12:28:16 PM »

I usually don’t mention it specifically because I’m usually speaking of the posterior chain as a whole. I swear by the GHR. If you want to jump high and increase explosiveness, that’s it.