Author Topic: Everyone says live in ny for a year and it will be the best year of your life  (Read 3869 times)

NelsonMuntz

• Getbig V
  • Getbigs Most Positive Member March&October 2017
Is this true?

I make good money out in LA as a private trainer but I知 ready for a change. I知 seriously willing to give all my clients up as a personal trainer and take a bouncing job to start a new life in New York. The traffic, everything closing at 2am , the dirty beaches etc.  I知 over it.

New York is amazing. Never have I been in a city where hot women are so aggressive and run up to you and want to fuck you. Plus the people are way better and the food..Every time I leave New York I get envious of my friends that live there because I feel like I知 missing out on so much the city has to offer.

For those that live there or have lived there is it really all that? I知 talking about manhataan obviously

your dad would not be named Howard by chance?
"

Griffith

• Getbig V
Looked awesome in the movies from the 70's and 80's. Lots of neon.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
What you wrote is a Sex in The City fantasy starring Flintstones as Carrie.

Seriously, you probably could have lived that way as a bouncer or personal trainer in the 80's - mid 90's. Any place that is now popping in NYC is going to cost a fortune. I know young guys with good jobs that are living with 2-3 roommates, till they find a girl and move in with her.  Those relationships usually fail because now they're both busting their ass.

Forget having a car usually, parking fees are $300 - 400 for a safe place in the city. On street parking is a big pain in the ass. Driving in general is :(.

Your supermarket food bill will probably go up 30% over what your paying now in the city proper. A lot of younger folks wind up going to the outer boroughs to get food, etc.....

All that awesome nightlife you heard about? Mostly gone because of - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City_Cabaret_Law . They repealed them last year, but I doubt the club scene will be coming back.

There is some cool stuff, like the museums, libraries, galleries, etc.... , but if that's not your thing than :(. And you can still find great food, and there are beautiful women of all flavors.

New York was / is great if you have real money to enjoy it, are in a field like entertainment, or are old enough to remember the fun things back in the day. But most folks just wind up regular working stiffs just like everybody else :).
This. Plus, you ain't getting your money's worth. I know people who are renting rooms for money that would make Goodrum faint. Also NYC seems filled to brim with people who move to NYC for the experience and so that they can say that they "live in Brooklyn"
Flintstones, you need to look for stability, stop wasting your money moving here and there, and then getting tired or frustrated with the place (or people in the place) you moved to. You will find out that the mentality of New Yorkers maybe different than those of from LA, and you may find that when you get to NYC, that there are a lot of guys just like you, so you basically have to compete with them, and they are established.

heenok

• Getbig IV
I love NYC. Best city ive visited hands down. Last time i went was last november, central park was so nice, felt like I was in a movie walking in those streets.
Probably one hell of an experience to live there for a while.
But you NEED money, its not somewhere you want to be if you dont make a good living. I see people talking about cars and shit, you DONT NEED A CAR thats the point of living in a city.

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
Never have I been in a city where hot women are so aggressive and run up to you and want to fuck you.

And you never will.
a

be back

And you never will.
Cloud cuckoo land of peace...

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
So the nightlife is dead in new york  ::)    

A lot of it is. All the clubs attached to Gaitan are gone. The Limelight space did turn into http://limelightfit.com/ . Maybe you can work there :).

Sound Factory's big spot was done for lots of years, I see Freq opened there a couple of months ago, we'll see if it stays.  The smaller one is a Japanese restaurant now.

I could run through dozens of others spots that are gone. Now folks will say, that's the club business. And that's true, but the problem is that new nightlife doesn't usually open up in those spots or at those sizes. The cabaret laws, other zoning things, the rise of bottle service, plus the real estate market does them in. It's less hassle to let a drug store, start up, etc.... take the space. Or turn it into condos.

They used to just pack it up and move it to LIC, parts of Brooklyn, etc.... but even that is falling victim to the above.

There are still big or mid sized clubs in Manhattan - Marquee, 1 Oak, Lavo, etc....

Everything is way more spread out and expensive, and at least as far as night life goes, a shadow of what it once was. When you hear people wax poetic about New York, they are mostly remember the Manhattan of the 70's - early 2000's.

The advice to try NJ living is a good one. If you pick the right spot, you'll be a short ride away from the city, save a ton of money, and you won't miss much.

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
i recommend jersey shore.

BB

• Getbig V
I see people talking about cars and shit, you DONT NEED A CAR thats the point of living in a city.

Sure, I'm one hundred percent in agreement. But by the same token, I've seen lots of folks scared to take the trains (especially if it's to the outer boroughs, or off the 4,5,6 line). Some people get used to it, but if you're used to having a car, it can be a shock. There are buses(:-\), You can walk or bike depending on distance, or take cab type services. But if you take the most bottom of the barrel Gypsy cab, it's still a ton of money doing it day to day.

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
please  ::)

nobody use cars in this day and age. its bad for the environment and it supports oil money in arab countries.

those days are long gone for most of us.

be back

please  ::)

nobody use cars in this day and age. its bad for the environment and it supports oil money in arab countries.

those days are long gone for most of us.
how long are you banned for?

OlympiaGym

• Getbig IV
  • they/them/their

The advice to try NJ living is a good one. If you pick the right spot, you'll be a short ride away from the city, save a ton of money, and you won't miss much.

Terrible advice. You might as well live in Iowa. Either you live in Manhattan or you don't. Once you have to cross a bridge or tunnel the experience is ruined.

mphgrove

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Terrible advice. You might as well live in Iowa. Either you live in Manhattan or you don't. Once you have to cross a bridge or tunnel the experience is ruined.

I agree with that advice about Jersey. If you池e feeling kind of lonely in LA, you値l probably feel exactly the same way stuck out on the PATH line over in Jersey. The problem is the expense of Manhattan (not as bad if you give up the car). Brooklyn is a possibility where you still can feel like you are in the mix of things, but I am guessing the decent neighborhoods there may be approaching the expense of Manhattan these days. How do you feel about rooming with other people? Even back in the day, I could not believe the size and condition of the shit holes single people lived in there. Once about 10 years ago I visited a DOCTOR I knew who just moved there and I had to keep from saying anything when I walked into his dump. You are used to units in LA which are super expensive but clean and spacious, I am just being realistic here. Maybe room with two or three other people if you can tolerate that.

Good photo in the other thread. Post the new shredded version when you get an opportunity. Props.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
Good advice.  I lived with 20-40 people (it varied) in a house in London.  I wouldn't call it one of the best times of my life but it sure was an affordable way to get a foot in the local door. 

I agree with the wisdom above.  Do not move to New Jersey. 

residue

• Getbig V
  • Adonis 3:16
A lot of it is. All the clubs attached to Gaitan are gone. The Limelight space did turn into http://limelightfit.com/ . Maybe you can work there :).

Sound Factory's big spot was done for lots of years, I see Freq opened there a couple of months ago, we'll see if it stays.  The smaller one is a Japanese restaurant now.

I could run through dozens of others spots that are gone. Now folks will say, that's the club business. And that's true, but the problem is that new nightlife doesn't usually open up in those spots or at those sizes. The cabaret laws, other zoning things, the rise of bottle service, plus the real estate market does them in. It's less hassle to let a drug store, start up, etc.... take the space. Or turn it into condos.

They used to just pack it up and move it to LIC, parts of Brooklyn, etc.... but even that is falling victim to the above.

There are still big or mid sized clubs in Manhattan - Marquee, 1 Oak, Lavo, etc....

Everything is way more spread out and expensive, and at least as far as night life goes, a shadow of what it once was. When you hear people wax poetic about New York, they are mostly remember the Manhattan of the 70's - early 2000's.

clubbing in the city is dead sure, but it's very much alive in Brooklyn; lot 45, house of yes, paper boxx output, the keep, Brooklyn mirage, schimanski, good room. not to mention whatever warehouse cityfox is renting out on any given weekend.

residue

• Getbig V

bullshit, i haven't had a need to go into Manhattan in weeks. there's literally 0 need if you're under 30 to leave Brooklyn,lic\astoria

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
if jersey is good enough for springsteen it's good enough for you.

mphgrove

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
bullshit, i haven't had a need to go into Manhattan in weeks. there's literally 0 need if you're under 30 to leave Brooklyn,lic\astoria

Ok on Brooklyn and even possibly Astoria (but not sure), but do you put Jersey City or Hoboken in that class? I think he should check out Chicago before considering Jersey (no offense to Springsteen)

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
24-7 hate Black. We get it. Ever thought about going after the Mandingo who f@cked your GF? Maybe becoming a more-active ChinaMan?

BB

• Getbig V
Ok on Brooklyn and even possibly Astoria (but not sure), but do you put Jersey City or Hoboken in that class? I think he should check out Chicago before considering Jersey (no offense to Springsteen)

I'm looking at it like this - Hoboken and Jersey City are picking up and have been for the last decade, but you can still find Condos, etc.... for $300 - 400k, or have a two bed room all to yourself for less than a studio will cost you in the boring parts of Brooklyn. Also if I remember right, Flintstones is originally from NJ, so there might be a comfort factor.

And I get the point about tons of other cities having more value to the dollar, but if the kid has his heart set on the NY tristate, NJ might be the way to go.

mphgrove

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
I'm looking at it like this - Hoboken and Jersey City are picking up and have been for the last decade, but you can still find Condos, etc.... for $300 - 400k, or have a two bed room all to yourself for less than a studio will cost you in the boring parts of Brooklyn. Also if I remember right, Flintstones is originally from NJ, so there might be a comfort factor.

And I get the point about tons of other cities having more value to the dollar, but if the kid has his heart set on the NY tristate, NJ might be the way to go.

I see your point. I think of Jersey as a place to go after you have made some friends, got some roots going on. And then you move there because you feel settled and you致e had your fix of Manhattan (or Brooklyn for that matter) and you want more for your money. It still makes me nervous him coming from anonymous LA and just plunking himself down in Jersey. But he should fly to Newark and check out those places and get his own reactions. Otherwise it will be a shithole in Manhattan or Brooklyn or 5 roommates. Take Southwest to Newark and also stop over for a few days in Chicago for reactions.

OlympiaGym

• Getbig IV
  • they/them/their

You're a peasant who's worried about saving a buck.

Huge difference between being in Manhattan and living on the outskirts like a wanna-be.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Two family members purchased a small $600,000 (approx) apartment in the Brooklyn area and when other family members fly east to visit them, they have to sleep standing up.

And I have been told that rentals are so expensive oin Manhattn that it is not too uncommon for nite and daytime workers to share the rent and only sleep in a one-bedroon unit when the other is at work.

Or something like that.

residue

• Getbig V
You're a peasant who's worried about saving a buck.

Huge difference between being in Manhattan and living on the outskirts like a wanna-be.
not at all, for what we pay for my 1br in Brooklyn we could easily get a 2-3 br in the lower or upper east. Manhattan has jumped the shark unless you're eastern European, Persian or over 40

Zillotch

• Getbig V
  • the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever
24-7 hate Black.

yes, blacks r hateful 24 7... like the rest of humanity. everyone clings to their precious hatred... the thread uniting us all.