Author Topic: ObamaCare still is a pos  (Read 377 times)

Moontrane

• Getbig V
  • a Harris administration, together with Joe Biden
Re: ObamaCare still is a pos
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 02:13:27 PM »
"We have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it”.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 03:43:19 PM »
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/02/19/health/obamacare-premiums-medicaid.html?referer=http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3633590/posts

This is an interesting article. It also has one glaring omission. In order to accurately compare medical insurance costs you have to look at plans with comparable coverage. Frankly, a $1,200 full-family monthly premium isn't very high for decent coverage. Before I retired, I had medical insurance through my employer. The premiums were predominately employer paid. These premiums ran well over $1,000 a month for comprehensive two party coverage. This was seven years ago when medical insurance costs were a lot less expensive.

In the article it says, "She and her husband, a contractor, found a less expensive plan, but at $928 a month, it meant giving up date nights and saving for their future. Worse, the new policy required them to spend more than $6,000 per person before it covered much of anything." Essentially, you could add $18,000 (for a family of three) to their annual premium cost assuming their Obamacare coverage had no deductible. $18,000 divided by twelve is $1,500. Add $1,500 to $928 and they would pay $2,428. in monthly premiums. Realistically, such a young family should be pretty healthy. Chances are, they would never meet the $6,000 deductible for each person. What they are left with is catastrophic medical insurance coverage.

I have never qualified for Obamacare, so it is difficult for me to compare it to what I've had. One thing I believe is very important is that preexisting conditions do not disqualify folks from equal coverage for equal costs or make them unqualified for any coverage at all.  

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 08:14:02 PM »
Yep $6200 before they pay anything.  I pay $1585 for me and my 2 kids. Shit insurance.