Author Topic: What age did you give up that gym life?  (Read 10527 times)

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
What age did you give up that gym life?
« on: February 21, 2018, 07:08:30 PM »
I'm mid 30s now, and my interest in going to the gym just seems so lame now. The gym is full of guys from age 20-30 who look great and put a lot of effort in and seem to enjoy it like I used to. Now when I go, I'm like, wtf am I doing here? I can't be bothered anymore. It sucks because I still want to look jacked but reality is, I just find no value in it anymore. I'd rather play with my kid or garden or have a beer with friends.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
Re: What age did you give up that gym life?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 07:11:19 PM »
I'm mid 30s now, and my interest in going to the gym just seems so lame now. The gym is full of guys from age 20-30 who look great and put a lot of effort in and seem to enjoy it like I used to. Now when I go, I'm like, wtf am I doing here? I can't be bothered anymore. It sucks because I still want to look jacked but reality is, I just find no value in it anymore. I'd rather play with my kid or garden or have a beer with friends.

I can honestly say, you took the words right out of my mouth.  And as evidence of that, I just said basically the same thing in sceagacros' post, literally two minutes ago.  I had not mentioned my children - but I feel exactly as you do.

Your post made my day.  :) ;D

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 07:17:22 PM »
@ 30 I feel that way sometimes, but more so that I feel like I'm too old for most of the people in my gym, so in the end who am I trying to impress? Sadly I got into this whole thing seeking validation from others, and I struggle motivating myself on the same level of that "I'll show them!" mentality I used to have when I first started.

Board_SHERIF

• Getbig V
  • UK Independence Party
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 07:20:06 PM »

so are you going to be a 40 year old with a beer gut then? if that is ok with you ?
K

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 07:28:10 PM »
I can honestly say, you took the words right out of my mouth.  And as evidence of that, I just said basically the same thing in sceagacros' post, literally two minutes ago.  I had not mentioned my children - but I feel exactly as you do.

Your post made my day.  :) ;D

Glad I'm not alone. I'm trying to find a balance now of staying lean by watching diet and working out a few times a week. In the summer I'm more up for doin pull ups and push ups outside these days.

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 07:28:45 PM »
so are you going to be a 40 year old with a beer gut then? if that is ok with you ?

1 beer a day doesn't give u a gut. Calories in calories out

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 07:34:52 PM »
it gets harder to have motivation when you are no longer making gains or having joint pain that can come with age, and at best you are just trying to maintain the body you already have

i still love working out so i'll stick with it for life, it's just not as fun as seeing progress like in your 20's

if your main motivation came from thinking it would get you all the hot girls, no wonder you lost interest

E
E

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 07:35:09 PM »
I've been training since I was a teenager and now I'm nearly 60.  I trained legs today. I did leg presses, squats, lunges, leg extensions, standing leg curls, abs, standing calf, seated calf and neck.  Tomorrow I will go for a run and hit the heavy bag. It's who I am.

Having been around the game for a long time I can see a pattern repeated. Guys juicing that may or not compete. Looking jacked turning them self from a zero to a hero with steroids. Then because of trying to make it in life with a career they stop training. Sometimes they stop training because of health, arrest or finances. They then appear like they never did a push up in their life. One guy actually said lifting without the assist training is a waste of time. Just sad.

You either have a work ethic concerning working out or you don't. For many it's a just a passing fad in their life. They keep a crumbled up picture in their wallet to show people how they looked back in the day. The sad part is you can see the mess of a body holding the picture right in front of you.

I will keep training till I can't anymore.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 07:37:36 PM »

Having been around the game for a long time I can see a pattern repeated. Guys juicing that may or not compete. Looking jacked turning them self from a zero to a hero with steroids. Then because of trying to make it in life with a career, health, arrest or finances they stop the juice. They then appear like they never did a push up in their life. One guy actually said lifting without the assist training is a waste of time. Just sad.

You either have a work ethic concerning working out or you don't. For many it's a just a passing fad in their life. They keep a crumbled up picture in their wallet to show people how they looked back in the day. The sad part is you can see the mess of a body holding the picture right in front of you.

out of your 8500 posts, at least 8200 is you saying this

did you ever use steroids?

E
E

Board_SHERIF

• Getbig V
  • UK Independence Party
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 07:38:50 PM »
I've been training since I was a teenager and now I'm nearly 60.  I trained legs today. I did leg presses, squats, lunges, leg extensions, standing leg curls, abs, standing calf, seated calf and neck.  Tomorrow I will go for a run and hit the heavy bag. It's who I am.

Having been around the game for a long time I can see a pattern repeated. Guys juicing that may or not compete. Looking jacked turning them self from a zero to a hero with steroids. Then because of trying to make it in life with a career they stop training. Sometimes they stop training because of health, arrest or finances they stop the juice. They then appear like they never did a push up in their life. One guy actually said lifting without the assist training is a waste of time. Just sad.

agree...also for the health benefits and the increased libido.
K

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 07:42:59 PM »
I've been training since I was a teenager and now I'm nearly 60.  I trained legs today. I did leg presses, squats, lunges, leg extensions, standing leg curls, abs, standing calf, seated calf and neck.  Tomorrow I will go for a run and hit the heavy bag. It's who I am.

Having been around the game for a long time I can see a pattern repeated. Guys juicing that may or not compete. Looking jacked turning them self from a zero to a hero with steroids. Then because of trying to make it in life with a career, health, arrest or finances they stop the juice. They then appear like they never did a push up in their life. One guy actually said lifting without the assist training is a waste of time. Just sad.

I understand where u are coming from, and I'm impressed with your dedication, but I do find it sad when you sAy "it's who I am". To me that's placing way too much value on a hobby we call weight lifting. When you are on your death bed, you may regret dedicating your life to spending so much time in a gym and worrying day in and day about about macros, lifts, etc. I kind of came to that conclusion a couple years ago, I spent 15 yrs worried about all of that trivial stuff. Now, I kind of had an awakening of sorts I guess. In my 20s having people call me "Steven the buff guy" or "dude you look huge", was cool right. But in your 30s with kids and a career, that shit isn't cool anymore, people look at you like your odd or there's something wrong with you. It's just not the same in your 30s. I don't know, just feel like it's time to move on kind of and be a better person inside and out, and leave the trivial crap like having cannon ball delts behind. Learning an instrument, or a new language seems way more interesting to me now, and I wish I didn't fall down the rabbit hole of this twisted and fake sub culture for as long as I did

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2018, 07:43:32 PM »
out of your 8500 posts, at least 8200 is you saying this

did you ever use steroids?

E

Is you saying this?  I have a question for you. How would you look one year completely off drugs?

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2018, 07:49:38 PM »
You my friend are suffering from NBYOP and ES, which is Not Being Your Own Person and Excuse Syndrome.

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2018, 07:50:55 PM »
You my friend are suffering from NBYOP and ES, which is Not Being Your Own Person and Excuse Syndrome.

Ha probably :)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2018, 07:59:18 PM »
I understand where u are coming from, and I'm impressed with your dedication, but I do find it sad when you sAy "it's who I am". To me that's placing way too much value on a hobby we call weight lifting. When you are on your death bed, you may regret dedicating your life to spending so much time in a gym and worrying day in and day about about macros, lifts, etc. I kind of came to that conclusion a couple years ago, I spent 15 yrs worried about all of that trivial stuff. Now, I kind of had an awakening of sorts I guess. In my 20s having people call me "Steven the buff guy" or "dude you look huge", was cool right. But in your 30s with kids and a career, that shit isn't cool anymore, people look at you like your odd or there's something wrong with you. It's just not the same in your 30s. I don't know, just feel like it's time to move on kind of

It's not the only thing I am. My career also depended on physicality. Had to pass a running, push up, sit up, swim and body fat test for almost 30 years. Almost all the guys I worked with trained whether weights, running, body weight stuff or martial arts. Married for over 30 years. I raised 4 kids. One is a doctor, ICU nurse, business and one in Afghanistan with the Airborne. I live in nice house with 1400 sq foot basement gym with an in ground pool out back. I mention this just to say training is a big part of who I am. It's not the only thing. I know when you are in your 30's you think you are old but you will see in time you're still very young. If training isn't your thing in life anymore it's okay. Everyone has different passions and different directions in life. Walk everyday for your health and to keep your weight under control if you give up training. The ones I feel truly sorry for are the ones who forsake career development and family chasing the syringe life style.

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2018, 08:00:28 PM »
Never even started, just have a factuation with men in thongs

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2018, 08:49:54 PM »
Never even started, just have a factuation with men in thongs

Probably healthier choice, honestly...

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2018, 09:04:38 PM »
It's definitely getting enormously difficult to stomach the sight of "gym people".

It's also weird watching all the kids throwing around big weights, thinking "they're all gonna burn out in a few years."

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2018, 09:09:07 PM »
I will continue as long as I can & as long as I enjoy it

Balance in all things in life

Enjoy as much as you can

We only get 1 go at this

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2018, 09:19:51 PM »
Mid 30's, same. Now I was just to be healthy and be lean.

Eric2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2018, 09:32:49 PM »
I've been lifting weights for over 30 years. I lost interest when I was in my late 30s. My motivation when I started was to look like the guys on the magazine's from the 70s. Also the superheroes in the comics. Then as I got a little older I realized I was quite  strong natural and shifted my training for strength and to massage my ego. Recently after several years of once in a blue moon training with more beer drinking and overeating, I had to make a change. I now train for my health and trying to regain my former condition. I am rebuilding,  rebounding and loving it. I require a lot more rest after a hard day in the gym. My energy is improving, weight is coming off and am getting stronger with more endurance in the gym. I can push myself again , this time I don't care what others think, it's about me.
h

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2018, 09:47:48 PM »
It's not the only thing I am. My career also depended on physicality. Had to pass a running, push up, sit up, swim and body fat test for almost 30 years. Almost all the guys I worked with trained whether weights, running, body weight stuff or martial arts. Married for over 30 years. I raised 4 kids. One is a doctor, ICU nurse, business and one in Afghanistan with the Airborne. I live in nice house with 1400 sq foot basement gym with an in ground pool out back. I mention this just to say training is a big part of who I am. It's not the only thing. I know when you are in your 30's you think you are old but you will see in time you're still very young. If training isn't your thing in life anymore it's okay. Everyone has different passions and different directions in life. Walk everyday for your health and to keep your weight under control if you give up training. The ones I feel truly sorry for are the ones who forsake career development and family chasing the syringe life style.

I'm 55 and when someone says they are in their 30's and contemplating giving up training etc it makes me smile. I'd like to be 30 again. But I thought the same thing when I was in my 30's not about quitting the gym but about feeling old. Now I feel 35,(Most of the time) weird how that works. I do go to the gym about every day but because I go everyday I don't spend more than an hour there so I don't feel it is taking up any of my time. Plus I just enjoy it and I feel better for doing it.   

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2018, 10:03:03 PM »

sounds awesome
where do you live where I can buy a house with a 1400 sq ft basement?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2018, 10:05:57 PM »

going to the gym is the best drug on the planet
I hurt my back and took a  week off out of necessity and couldn't wait to get back in the gym
wtf?

Tennisballz

• Getbig IV
  • You CANNOT be serious!
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2018, 10:22:57 PM »
I still enjoy the gym but not like I used to.  10-15 years ago I had a group of friends and we would hang out at the gym for a couple hours.  Everyone is older now and most of them have kids, so I don't even see them outside the gym let alone at the gym.  It kind of sucks, but it's nice that I just go to the gym and do my workout then go home all in an hours time.  I also have noticed that I have more of a desire to be active than I used to, but I'd rather do things outside the gym like sports, hikes or extreme schmoeing.