Author Topic: Getbig's Reputation - Why is Getbig Still Thriving?  (Read 2202 times)

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
Getbig's Reputation - Why is Getbig Still Thriving?
« on: February 28, 2018, 01:01:01 AM »
Which contest was it where Ron asked a question, and a top pro said "Well...you need to consider the source of the question?"  ;D

I asked David Henry if my brother could take a picture of David and I together, and before I even asked, David Henry was NOT happy to read my name tag.  I explained to him that I had stopped posting on Getbig at that time due to the negativity, and he was immediately much happier.  ;D

Keep in mind that the internet, while being bigger than ever, is being consolidated into the major online media companies [the trifecta: YouTube/Facebook/Twitter].  Luckily - to the chagrin of George Soros, the Rothschild family, and the other owners and interests involved in preserving the mainstream media - the internet is here to stay.  If the internet can survive another five years, it will be impossible to control.

And then that brings us to an interesting place socially, in terms of media consumption: even if you control YouTube, you DO NOT control YouTube.  The content creators do, and it's survival of the fittest.  What we will see is the emergence of new tactics, such as shadow-banning; when your Facebook page triggers too many "Right Wing Poster" triggers in Facebook's algorithm, which will make Facebook spread around your posts less than others.

Consider when you make a Facebook status - Facebook will display that to more of your friends than when you post a YouTube video.  So what I sometimes do is say "Check out this YouTube video", and post the video link as a reply to that status, so that Facebook circulates the status.  I suspect Facebook also circulates threads more on the basis of how many Facebook links are contained in the thread, among other factors, all of which are programmed into the Facebook algorithm.

So with so much consolidation of internet media, how did Getbig survive?

If you ask me - the main reason is because of honesty.  I think Getbig is honest about the pros and cons of the bodybuilding world, while still being pretty respectful about those truths.  With that said, there are many other reasons, no doubt.  Ron is also a fair moderator.  It's ok to make a post that is disparaging to Israel for example, despite Ron being Jewish, but ONLY if you are respectful about it.  If you go and praise Hitler, he's going to no doubt move the thread into the politics board, but if you can back up your points in logic, he will allow it to thrive.  Also, if you started posting politics DAILY in the G&O, Ron would likely ban it - but hey, that's reasonable to me.

We are a bodybuilding board after all.  So honesty combined with fair moderation are big factors.  Yet another would be some great posters that we have...we have some longstanding high quality members with years of experience.  I would like to name names, but I would be missing someone, no doubt, so I won't list any.

Discuss.

be back

Re: Getbig's Reputation - Why is Getbig Still Thriving?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 01:04:24 AM »
you seem to be under the impression that getbig is a bodybuilding website... ???

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 01:16:42 AM »
you seem to be under the impression that getbig is a bodybuilding-hating website... ???

Fixed.  ;D

I think what it is, is that for those of us who lift weights, we naturally gravitate to places online that cover that topic - but may not personally take that hobby to the level of pro bodybuilding.  So we have the unique page that is Getbig, where you have so many posters who make quality posts yet seem to hate pro bodybuilding and hate pro bodybuilders.  :)

But that's where some of the best posts come from, and I think we do need to talk about this stuff.  For example, being on steroids year-round for 20+ years, while never dropping below 255 [in contest condition when that low] can't be healthy - yet Jay Cutler basically did that.  We talk about stuff like that on here, and that is what is cool about Getbig.  Oh, and - I shouldn't make that statement about Jay with such confidence.  It was just an example.  :)

be back

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 01:18:41 AM »
I think the majority of posters here don't hate pro bodybuilding, they just see it for what it is...

be back

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 01:56:47 AM »
GetBig has lots of strictly bodybuilding sub-forums like Training, Positive Bodybuilding, etc... but the G&O is more like a misc. Just look at the first page. It's a mish-mash of general bullshit topics with the odd Kevin Levroneeeeeeeeee topic about how he (looks no different than 2016 but wants you all to believe he) weighs 260+ pounds (forget that 25lbs plate he's holding.)

What was the question again? ;)

I know, I have a log in the positive section, as for the other areas there is hardly anyone posting...

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 02:36:39 AM »
Which contest was it where Ron asked a question, and a top pro said "Well...you need to consider the source of the question?"  ;D

I asked David Henry if my brother could take a picture of David and I together, and before I even asked, David Henry was NOT happy to read my name tag.  I explained to him that I had stopped posting on Getbig at that time due to the negativity, and he was immediately much happier.  ;D

Keep in mind that the internet, while being bigger than ever, is being consolidated into the major online media companies [the trifecta: YouTube/Facebook/Twitter].  Luckily - to the chagrin of George Soros, the Rothschild family, and the other owners and interests involved in preserving the mainstream media - the internet is here to stay.  If the internet can survive another five years, it will be impossible to control.

And then that brings us to an interesting place socially, in terms of media consumption: even if you control YouTube, you DO NOT control YouTube.  The content creators do, and it's survival of the fittest.  What we will see is the emergence of new tactics, such as shadow-banning; when your Facebook page triggers too many "Right Wing Poster" triggers in Facebook's algorithm, which will make Facebook spread around your posts less than others.

Consider when you make a Facebook status - Facebook will display that to more of your friends than when you post a YouTube video.  So what I sometimes do is say "Check out this YouTube video", and post the video link as a reply to that status, so that Facebook circulates the status.  I suspect Facebook also circulates threads more on the basis of how many Facebook links are contained in the thread, among other factors, all of which are programmed into the Facebook algorithm.

So with so much consolidation of internet media, how did Getbig survive?

If you ask me - the main reason is because of honesty.  I think Getbig is honest about the pros and cons of the bodybuilding world, while still being pretty respectful about those truths.  With that said, there are many other reasons, no doubt.  Ron is also a fair moderator.  It's ok to make a post that is disparaging to Israel for example, despite Ron being Jewish, but ONLY if you are respectful about it.  If you go and praise Hitler, he's going to no doubt move the thread into the politics board, but if you can back up your points in logic, he will allow it to thrive.  Also, if you started posting politics DAILY in the G&O, Ron would likely ban it - but hey, that's reasonable to me.

We are a bodybuilding board after all.  So honesty combined with fair moderation are big factors.  Yet another would be some great posters that we have...we have some longstanding high quality members with years of experience.  I would like to name names, but I would be missing someone, no doubt, so I won't list any.

Discuss.

It's thriving due to Anti-pussyfication of Society and the Truth spoken.

No sugarcoating.
Q

be back

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 03:45:36 AM »
Ron is General Custer and getbiggers are the cavalry surrounded by the Indians of political correctness, up to now we are holding them off...

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 03:46:34 AM »
not sure what to write here as i was scrolling down to the bottom to avoid all text

best i can do is HELLO GUYS HAVE A NICE DAY!

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 03:53:44 AM »
not sure what to write here as i was scrolling down to the bottom to avoid all text

GOTTA LOVE IT! :D
Q

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 03:54:26 AM »
Matt, you seem like a decent chap, but what the fuck is up with the novel length posts?

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 03:54:30 AM »
Ron is General Custer and getbiggers are the cavalry surrounded by the Indians of political correctness, up to now we are holding them off...

GOTTA LOVE IT! :D
Q

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 03:56:30 AM »
Matt, you seem like a decent chap, but what the fuck is up with the novel length posts?

He has a slight stroke of autism (just like Einstein, Mozart, Darwin and Isaac Newton, which made them and him a genius but lacking in some area), which requires him to write an essay for each response , statement or query.
Q

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2018, 04:13:21 AM »
Matt did you have a nose job?

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2018, 04:17:34 AM »

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2018, 04:23:32 AM »
Getbig has true free speech, so if bodybuilders want an honest opinion they will read it on Getbig.

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2018, 04:23:48 AM »
Most of us end up banned from other forums so getbig is our only option for posting and saying what we want, makes you appreciate the freedom of speech here a lot more

be back

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2018, 04:25:35 AM »
Most of us end up banned from other forums so getbig is our only option for posting and saying what we want, makes you appreciate the freedom of speech here a lot more

x2  lost count of the forums I got banned from... ;D

OlympiaGym

• Getbig IV
  • they/them/their
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2018, 04:28:26 AM »
Define "thriving"?

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2018, 04:28:44 AM »
x2  lost count of the forums I got banned from... ;D

Haha I don’t doubt that,  and at least the odd time we do get banned here it’s not long, I think my last ban lasted 30 minutes

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2018, 04:47:06 AM »
Q

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2018, 05:46:32 AM »
No competition.  Ron put the Sheeny Curse on them.

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2018, 05:53:14 AM »
howabout that nose

maybe matt is jewish?

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2018, 12:56:40 PM »

:D

Ted SuperSet

• Getbig IV
  • America first!
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2018, 01:07:07 PM »

Brilliant  ;D

Ted SuperSet

• Getbig IV
  • America first!
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2018, 01:10:48 PM »
howabout that nose

maybe matt is jewish?

He is arabic no?